• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I Get A Medical Alert Bracelet?

AuBurney Tuckerson

~GigglesTheAutisticHyena~
I've been thinking and wondering if I should get an alert bracelet for autism? I know I seem normal in public, but because I'm have very sensitive hearing, I'm worried that I might end up going into a meltdown in public one day, and people will be staring or calling the police on me. At least, if I get pulled over or something happens, I'll have a bracelet to let them know. But I'm not sure. I mean, is reccomended for even a mild to moderate autistic like me to get a medical alert bracelet? What do you think? Should I get one? Do I need one?

Tough question, IMO. Under such circumstances as you've outlined, it may not be a bad idea to have such a bracelet.I suppose it may come down to how often if at all you've had meltdowns in public.

There aren't any guarantees of how the police might interact with you, but it's certainly a consideration in attempting to mitigate any potential misunderstandings between you and them.

Under such circumstances as you've outlined, it may not be a bad idea to have such a bracelet.

There aren't any guarantees of how the police might interact with you, but it's certainly a consideration in attempting to mitigate any potential misunderstandings between you and them.
I guess getting one couldn't hurt. I meant is there a way that I would need one, or would getting one just be pointless wince I don't do anything like wander, and I'm able to talk?

I don't believe people on the Spectrum need one, likely much less able to acquire one; I think it's only for people who have Epilepsy and other Medical Conditions, and Autism isn't one, so there's a chance you may be denied one.

I guess getting one couldn't hurt. I meant is there a way that I would need one, or would getting one just be pointless wince I don't do anything like wander, and I'm able to talk?

Yes and no. The only downside may be inadvertently attracting attention to the bracelet itself. The last thing you want to do is to constantly have to answer such a thing where you wouldn't normally have to. Something definitely considering as well.

I just see this from the perspective of possible public meltdowns and confrontations with strangers. If this isn't the case, a bracelet might be more of a liability than an asset.

But yeah, the possibility of a confrontation with law enforcement is something to seriously ponder for autistic Americans. At least I know our local police are supposed to have some degree of training regarding autistic citizens...but to what this may entail in real time situations I can't say.

In so many other jurisdictions one may encounter sentiments from law enforcement citing that they aren't intended to be "social workers" (even if they are to the contrary) who may well be harsh towards such people in difficult circumstances.

So yeah...IMO it's a tough question to answer in general.

Last edited:
No, no, and did I mention, no?! Bad idea.

Anything that makes you stand out in a crowd is definitely a BIG no IMHO.

1) What situation(s) are you anticipating where the bracelet would be useful? E.g., are you susceptible to severe meltdowns?

2) If EMTs, police, or someone else sees "autistic" on your bracelet, would they know what to do? I understand that they're trained to deal with allergies, heart conditions, etc., but what information would "autistic" convey?

I've considered getting a medical ID for other things that it would be good for first responders to know in an emergency, and if I did get one I would probably add something about having autism.

I have seen people with a variety of autism severity levels say they carry an autism info card or wear a bracelet for times when their ability to communicate may be impaired (which could mean all the time, or only when stressed/injured/in unfamiliar situations).

I don't believe people on the Spectrum need one, likely much less able to acquire one; I think it's only for people who have Epilepsy and other Medical Conditions, and Autism isn't one, so there's a chance you may be denied one.

There are Autism Alert bracelets available.
For example:
Autism and Medical ID Jewelry | American Medical ID
Autism ID Bracelets, Necklaces & Tags | Autism Jewelry | Lauren's Hope

Some look more "medical" and others look more like "jewelry."

You can have disabilities/potentially disabling medical conditions written on a medical alert bracelet.

There are two kinds of medical alert bracelets -- the kind that add your info to a database and give you a bracelet, and the kind that just have relevent information written on a bracelet/dog tag/similar thing. For the second category at least, nobody will refuse to make you a medical alert bracelet that says you have autism.

I've considered getting a medical ID for other things that it would be good for first responders to know in an emergency, and if I did get one I would probably add something about having autism.

I have seen people with a variety of autism severity levels say they carry an autism info card or wear a bracelet for times when their ability to communicate may be impaired (which could mean all the time, or only when stressed/injured/in unfamiliar situations).

I like the practicality of such an official card. While normally discreet in one's wallet or pocket, that in the event you are incapacitated, those first responders know to check for such things.

A bracelet is not difficult to get, you can get one on Amazon for around $12-$14 and have it engraved with literally anything you want.

I have one, but I carry it in my pocket instead of wearing it. It's engraved with:

Mutism (in case I go selectively mute during a shutdown)
Panic Attacks (in case I'm having a panic attack and can't breathe, and thus can't talk)
Autism (pretty useless because nobody knows what to do with "autism", but in my case there were 3 lines that they engrave so I might as well have something in case I'm murdered by the police, something that says "he was trying to communicate his disability")

That's what it says on the front, and on the back is my address and my father's phone number (emergency contact).

My point in saying all this is that you can certainly benefit from a bracelet, and at $12-$14 why not have one? Remember that your audience would have no idea what to do with an engraving on the bracelet like "Autism" or "Meltdowns"; you'd need to think of something to put in the lines of engraving that communicates what you need. Maybe even a short message.

I found one with 5 lines at 25 characters each, front and back. Yes it's a men's bracelet, but the women's bracelets are tiny and can't hold as much info. If you can reckon a way to communicate what you need if you lose the ability to communicate effectively, it could be a lifesaver.

Here's a link to the bracelet I'm talking about if you want to take a peek at least: https://www.amazon.com/d/Office-Pro...310357&sr=8-14&keywords=medical+bracelet&th=1

I know, Amazon is evil, and the Krimea River is in Russia.

Some look more "medical" and others look more like "jewelry."

An important distinction. That's where for any such bracelet I'd think you'd want it to have the Caduceus Medical Symbol engraved right along with one's medical condition. Sans any "bling".

I guess I may not need an autism bracelet. I mean, it's not likely an emergency is gonna happen.. Nothing really happens with me. I just wonder if I should get an autism bracelet. I mean, would I even need one? I just figured that it would be a good idea to get one like in case anyone asks or if I do end up in a meltdown in public to where I can't talk (in which I'm not sure if that's likely to happen, but my sensitive hearing says otherwise..). I was just curious..

I guess I may not need an autism bracelet. I mean, it's not likely an emergency is gonna happen.. Nothing really happens with me. I just wonder if I should get an autism bracelet. I mean, would I even need one?

If you really don't perceive having issues like public meltdowns, wandering or confrontations with law enforcement, it may be more problematic than it's worth.

But yes, only you can truly assess yourself in this regard. Though discreetly carrying a card that indicates such may still not be a bad idea.

If I do get a bracelet or a card that says "I have autism", and nothing happens (like an emergency or something involved with public attention or police), will I have gotten it for nothing?

If I do get a bracelet or a card that says "I have autism", and nothing happens (like an emergency or something involved with public attention or police), will I have gotten it for nothing?

That's why people buy insurance. Something you may never actually need, but pays to have just in case.

Where you must weigh probabilities against possibilities, and consider what best gives you "peace of mind". But then a bracelet is a relatively small investment compared to the cost of most forms of insurance. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom