• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

should I be concerned over lack of concern?

This is disturbing. While it's perfectly normal for an aspie to not know how to feel or not even feel at first, it's not okay to say you don't care if a loved one dies. That shows immaturity and narcissism, or perhaps even sociopathy.
A sociopath cares for no one. A narcissist cares for no one but themselves. I mourned deeply when my mom died. I cared when a very close cousin died. I've sat at hospitals with best friends. When one of my children is heartbroken, I'm heartbroken. I'm neither a sociopath nor a narcissist. I had no bond with my dad - not that I didn't try, but when I invited him to my house and he responds that as long as I don't hear from him I know he's okay - that kind of tells me he didn't want a bond. I made trips so my kids would know him but nothing from him. No, I never missed him after he died because I never had him before he died. My brother - he's a lot like my dad. And he has put one of my kids at risk more than once. Even before I cut the ties, the only time I'd see him was at funerals. Before he moved away, the only time I'd hear from him was when he needed me to do something for him. But his attitude toward me was one I didn't need, so I don't need him in my life. He put my daughter and her whole family in a bad situation. Tell me who's the uncaring person. No - don't need him, don't have a bond with him, don't miss him. I'm sure when he does ever die, it'll be sad - anyone dying is sad. But you don't miss what you never really had. I spent my life being mistreated by him but I'd defend him because I had him up on a pedestal. Once he got off that pedestal I seen who he really is and he's not a nice person.

My sense of empathy is highly variable. I generally don't care much one way or the other for most adult strangers. If I don't know them, I have trouble feeling any compassion or caring over their fate. I don't really feel sad when old people die. It's not that I wish anyone harm, I'm just ambivalent towards them. I didn't shed a tear when any of my grandparents died. Although, they all died after suffering from prolonged illnesses. I probably won't shed a tear when my dad dies. I would be lost/devastated without my mom, she's really the only person I have other than my son that I have any kind of bond with. I didn't cry when any of my pets died except the one kitty I felt really close to. The rest were really old when they died and had been sick. I've been criticized for my lack of empathy before.
On the other hand, I feel that I am overly empathetic and protective of little children and animals. It makes me furious to see people hurting kids or animals. I once hit a squirrel completely accidentally while driving and felt sick to my stomach with guilt for days.
I also frequently cry at sad scenes/situations in movies, books, and TV and people have looked at me weird or laughed at me for it. Especially if the movie involves something happening to children or animals or there is a situation that resonates with me.

New Threads

Top Bottom