• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should Aspies/Autistics get priority at the Doctor's?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I've been suffering with a chest infection all week, went up the Doctor's on Tuesday and I'm now on Anti-Biotic tablets till tomorrow.

However these tablets have given me Diahorrea, or simply, the runs! I've rung the local Surgery this afternoon after Googling their website and phone number, rang 'em up and they said to go to the local walk in centre as there were no appointments available for the rest of the day.

If I'd gone to the walk in centre I'd probably still be there now waiting to be seen!

My point is, should people on the "Spectrum" have priority when booking Doctor's appointments?

Last edited:
I don't see any reason why we on the spectrum should get to cut in line (jump the queue, for those across The Pond) at the doctor's office. We aren't better or worse than other people, so we should play by the same rules when making appointments.

I don't think we should get to go first but do think it's very important to make waiting areas more tolerable. I drive 45 minutes to a clinic in a small town rather than deal with the noise and chaos of the clinic waiting room 2 miles away.

No. Priority is for medical urgency.

Like I said, I was suffering from violent coughing and literally had the "runs", I would imagine that classes as a medical emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, I was suffering from violent coughing and literally had the "runs", I would imagine that classes as a medical emergency.
It doesn't, actually. Both are inconvenient, unpleasant but not immediately life-threatening. Diarrhea is a very common side effect to antibiotics and not something that requires immediate medical attention. A medical emergency is something that can't wait.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why you think an Aspie with the Hershey squirts should get priority over an NT in the same unfortunate situation (I hope you feel better soon, by the way).

No, I think the person who is really ill, has the priority.

So sorry you are feeling unwell, Rich.

That is one thing about France, which is very good. One phones for an appointment and gets to see the dr very fast.

I could never use being an aspie, to get ahead of other people. And I know a spiritual sister, who has a card that actually gives her the right to jump queue, because her health condition means that at any moment she could fall and yet, she refuses to use that card. I have tried to reason with her, but she won't be reasoned with.

I don't think we should get to go first but do think it's very important to make waiting areas more tolerable. I drive 45 minutes to a clinic in a small town rather than deal with the noise and chaos of the clinic waiting room 2 miles away.

Wow, noise and chaos would be bliss for me, having social phobia and in a dead silent place with others at close proximity, gets my tummy making horrible noises, due to nerves and anxiety hitting me head on!

Wow, noise and chaos would be bliss for me, having social phobia and in a dead silent place with others at close proximity, gets my tummy making horrible noises, due to nerves and anxiety hitting me head on!

The reason the other clinic is quiet is because there are so many fewer people, plenty of distance between me and other patients because of the design of the waiting area, and better acoustics. A tummy can make all the noise it wants where I go and I doubt anyone would notice, it's a very good waiting area. My tummy used to do that in church all the time and it was embarrassing:oops:.

If someone noticed my rumbly tumbly, I would just give 'em a wink. ;)

It took 10 months just for me to get a simple mental assessment / check up ... :p. which wasn't even done in a professional manner. I'm pissed about it.
There are certain conditions and situations where people "should" be looked after faster than others. But when it comes to getting in faster you usually have to be brought in by ambulance or involved in some sort of major incident for them to pay attention. Outside of that i think priority go to those who a working / contribute tax...

Funny how so many major life disasters could be prevented but no0o0o we have to wait for it happen before they take us seriously.

If someone noticed my rumbly tumbly, I would just give 'em a wink. ;)

Wish I could be like that. But I think it had and continues, to manifest itself into a phobia. My first experience was in a catholic church and I ended up DREADING the silence. I was a child and from there, any silence, it would start my tummy rumbling and I would be mortified and it has got to the point, that I panic if I know I have to go to a quiet place.

The reason the other clinic is quiet is because there are so many fewer people, plenty of distance between me and other patients because of the design of the waiting area, and better acoustics. A tummy can make all the noise it wants where I go and I doubt anyone would notice, it's a very good waiting area. My tummy used to do that in church all the time and it was embarrassing:oops:.

I would like nothing more, than gentle, smoothing background music, which happened in one waiting room and even, one had a tv on.

The one that is just 10 minute's away, is horrendeous. A very small room and all the chairs are huddled together and I can feel myself go into panic mode when I go in and thus, if a child goes in there and is loud, I suddenly relax and horribly, so does my damn tummy!

No. the priority is done for medical emergencies. mental health issues is low priority if you are clearly not a danger to yourself and others.

even if you *are* a danger to yourself or others (eg, suicide) you still have to wait several hours for help. there's only so many people qualified to do their jobs, there's a lot of people before you, and the staff is small and human.

Sorry you were leaking out both ends.. ;) Hospitals take the most severely injured first as a rule. I tend to agree with that policy. I've spent many a long hour waiting in waiting rooms, but eventually did get the help I needed. Just a little patience.

You don't know what other people are needing the doctor for, it could be massively more important than diarrhea and a chest infection (which given you have antibiotics I can only assume is already being treated). being autistic is not a medical emergency, and shouldn't be used as an excuse for preferential treatment, in my opinion.

I hope you feel better soon, I know how bad chest infections can be, I suffer with them a lot.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but as far as medical care goes the more serious it is, the quicker you'll get served. Being on the spectrum doesn't and shouldn't grant you special privileges like this, so be ready to wait it out like everyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom