• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Serious situation

AidenMaccullagh

I have a serious situation. I am soon to aquire a new apartment and I have not a single girl to share it with. I was wondering am i the only one who gets paranoid when they are alone. With no one to understand you or be there when you are down. I overheard my parents when i told them i would be moving out that they would be so happy that i would be out of their hair and no longer be a burden. I feel my world darkening my happiness has disappeared, and my confidence is gone. I am seriously thinking i will not last long out in the hostile world that we call ours. i show an ounce of kindness and it will get spat on and thrown back at me. Once i move out im dead.

Actually you may find that being self-reliant may ultimately give you a new sense of confidence you didn't have before. But it takes time, and there will be ups and downs in the process. It is a good feeling to look around your apartment and realize that this is YOUR personal space of your own making.

It's seldom easy for much of anyone to finally get out on their own. Which makes it that much more of an accomplishment when you do.

Last edited:
You won't fully know until you get there and have been there for a while. I would not spend any cycles worrying about no single girl being in the apartment - you know that going in so just accept it.

Last edited:
I have a serious situation. I am soon to aquire a new apartment and I have not a single girl to share it with. I was wondering am i the only one who gets paranoid when they are alone. With no one to understand you or be there when you are down. I overheard my parents when i told them i would be moving out that they would be so happy that i would be out of their hair and no longer be a burden. I feel my world darkening my happiness has disappeared, and my confidence is gone. I am seriously thinking i will not last long out in the hostile world that we call ours. i show an ounce of kindness and it will get spat on and thrown back at me. Once i move out im dead.

Sounds like my parents a bit. My parents though told me things directly and more harshly though. My Dad threatened my brother and I to get out of the home at age eighteen, and saying we had two other choices too: get a job or join the military. So, I got out and went to college instead.

Was I ready for life on my own, in an apartment, and ready for college? Heck no. I could not talk more than a few words do to severe introversion and parental wrongs, and I had severe social phobia and anxiety as a result. I feared everyone. I feared what would happen next. I was throwing up a few times of my day, my first college year, and I did not know how I could survive.

The one good thing was I had a car and knew how to drive. Also, as my parents were driving me insane for eighteen years, I needed that freedom. I tried to think positively. I could make my own decisions now, eventually heal a bit from my parents, and try to make a totally new life that was happy. I knew it would not happen overnight, and there would be struggles, but I had some hope.

Life is about learning from our mistakes, and I feel that makes us stronger and wiser persons. So strong I eventually became, that I did not need anyone for the next twenty years with me. I focused on enjoying life alone nevertheless, and finding ways to make me more functional. I did focus on finding pleasure in the little things, like quiet walks at night, choosing my own favorite foods to eat, watching sports programming, having a good nights sleep every night without parental fighting, and so on.

And I used that time to focus on improving myself through self-help things. Also, I also started communicating to persons online throughout those years, and making internet friends, as still most of those years I was not ready for much more. But, I felt less alone, writing to others. Eventually, several of the friends I met, and some I dated. Although those dating experiences did not work out, I learned lots, and began looking for those that shared more my interests, and would complement me in terms of personality and could love me.

Once I loved myself, and had healthy self-esteem from my own efforts and some successes at college and university, and knew more who I was, what made me happy in life, and how I defined success, then I noticed lots more gravitating to me. Then I felt more ready to really meet people, just to get to know them more, and not with intention to date. Then I met the woman for me, and I have been married for eleven years now, and with two great kids. Time has gone by too fast those years, but we have been having a great time.

But, truth is, every person will be different. I do not know your abilities, stress tolerance levels, limitations and dreams. I cannot say you should do things the way I did, as what works for me will not work for everyone else, and what works for them will not necessarily work for me. Sometimes, the only way to know is to get out there and try. If things get too scary or impossible, there is tons of help out there. Try to be prepared and make plans, and find some positive support system is the best I can say. Try to focus more on the good than the bad.

Each day you survive see as a success, but create your own daily small successes, too. Focus on your efforts, more than immediate results. And soon you too could find that happiness.

Last edited:
I'm almost 30 years old and have been thinking of leaving the nest in the near future. Each time I brought it up, my parents said they would miss me A LOT. Even after all these years of me driving them crazy, they would still miss me; it shocks me to hear that sometimes, it really does. Their love is one of the things that kept me going, it's one of the things that made a difference between anxiety and depression.

At the same time I'm not well-adjusted to the real world, but I would still need to give it a try. Right now though, no plans of moving yet. I'm also worried about bringing this up to them because they might start thinking that I'm trying to get away from them and that's not true. I want to stop driving them crazy all the time but I also want to prove to myself that I can be independent.

In your case, I'd suggest giving it a try even if you haven't found a girl yet - like previous posters said, it could very well give you a big boost in your self-confidence, and more self-confidence brings about more happiness. It could give me a boost in my self-confidence if I were to move out and maybe learn some things on the fly before it becomes a routine; I've had self-esteem issues for a very long period of time and. You never know! This could open up a whole new door for you and increase your chances of meeting that dream girl. Give it a try!

Did you also say that you overheard your parents call you a burden behind your back? That's not cool. Good parents don't say such things about their child whether it's straight to their face or behind their back. It gives me the impression that they don't appreciate you for who you are, thus more of a reason for you to move to your own place. Who do they think they are? I always call myself a burden on my parents, but mine would never think that about me even if I do drive them crazy all the time. More time away from them would most certainly give you more happiness and more self-confidence. You're better than they think you are, Aiden! You'll come to realize that eventually :D

Well, my parents always seemed to suggest that we were all best friends together, although I sort of suspected they hated me. When I was 18, they drove me to my college (8 hrs away). I wouldn't get out of the car on the final day of orientation. I cried and asked if I could stay with them. They said "no". So I went to my dorm room. For 3 nights, I'd listen to the same song on repeat and cry myself to sleep. On the fourth day, I figured I better get some friends for protection. So I made friends with a few girls on my hall using a flamboyant, comedy-oriented personality I concocted. After that, college was easy and I had some fun with those girls at times!

But the best times were those I got to finally spend alone too, especially when I moved into a shared apartment and had my own room.

Meanwhile, my mom started dating a convicted murderer (showing her true colors I suppose) and my dad temporarily retired from his quest to be a cult leader complete with hippie chick followers to pursue a new family with a woman who was younger than me. They got married and had a baby.

Throughout those years, they didn't speak much to me, and I realized what a blessing that was!

Hi there

My brother, who I suspect is an aspie too had in my sister's home for years, because of a belief that he could not function on his own. When he had tried, he became very paranoid and sadly, pronounced by "professionals" to be very seriously mentally ill. He had the chance to move in with my sister and found that being around family ( her and her children), that he could function well.

My sister is now in a relationship and apparently, with the urgings of a friend, my brother made the decision to move out and has a very small, compact bedsit. I was told that he was in a bad way, but out of the blue ( he NEVER contacts me), he got in touch and did facetime. He said that moving out was the making of him. He was able to reistablish a relationship, that due to living with his sis, faded out ( the woman is a "gold digger ie he had to spend tons of money to satisfy her), but he is under an illusion that it is love, so what can one do? The main thing, is that he feels that at last, he has matured and I must say, his little bedsit was very tidy! He lives in a house with other chaps, but has his own self sustaining room and with the suggestion of another, is applying to get a bike licence.

If I found myself suddenly on my own, I think I would freak out, but after a short while, I feel that I would love it. I get to choose what I want and colour schemes and I am in control of what I do outside of the home. Being married actually takes that away from me. And despite being married, I suffer unspeakable lonliness these days.

We have some friends, who's son was born with tumor making neurons and has gone through several operations. His parents made the error of bowing down to him and now, he is a young man, he is rude and insilent and has no respect for his parents. He goes to a special school and I saw the reaction on his mother's face, when the school phoned and said that he demanded to go home, due to being unwell. If anything, he wanted to see my husband and me ( as we were leaving that day). But his mother reacted with: oh no, please don't come home! So, imagine if he had witnessed that reaction?

If your accommodation is being found for you, then try to go with the flow, because it will be the making of you, if you allow it.

If you base your entire being around a partner, you will never find happiness. Try and learn to be on your own first, be independent, love yourself, do things you want to do. Happiness will come to you by itself. Another person won't make you happy if you aren't happy alone.

I am soon to aquire a new apartment and I have not a single girl to share it with.
If you do ever find someone one day, never rush having a woman to live in your apartment. I learned the hard way and after a few months, things was not going well and it was hard to get her to leave. I say do the relationship for at least a year before considering having a person living with you. But the most important thing is both you and her to understand the times when each other needs their own space.

New Threads

Top Bottom