• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

sensory toys

Daniela

Hi guys!
I dont know if this is the right place to posto it but I have favor to ask.
I have a project in mind that involves toys for kids(or adults whu knows!) on the spectrum. But I need some help.
I want you guys to tell me what where you'r sensorial dificulties as a kid and what objects calmed you down, if you guys think if this is a good ideia or not, what are you'r experiences with toys and stiming toys for exemple...
If you guys could awnsor that I would be very gratefull.
Thanks guys!

Hi, Daniela ! :) I'd love to help....

I guess when I was a kid, my sensory difficulties stemmed mostly from other people - crowds, lots of chaos and loud noise, the unpredictability of it all, etc. There were many various and sundry objects I would carry around with everywhere as a kid, including but not limited to:

- Plastic toys, mostly of Lion King, Barney, 101 Dalmatians or Sesame Street characters

- A hardened lump of green Play-Doh

- Assorted stones

- A yellow feeding spoon

- Various books (one of them being a small green-covered copy of the New Testament)

- Seashells (I would hold them to my ear and listen to "the ocean", which also helped to counteract unwanted auditory input

- Stickers

...but what I carried around with me most often were my stuffed animals. My dad tells me that I've loved them for as long as he can remember. I suspect that immediately after I was weaned off of pacifiers/bottles, I went right to my stuffed animals for comfort (one reason for this is b/c I have a stuffed 101 Dalmatians puppy with a chewed tail and a bean bag rabbit with chewed plastic whiskers, both from my earliest years). I always carried at least one stuffed animal with me everywhere...the soft plush textures and having something to hug that wouldn't hug back (I didn't like being touched much back then) made me feel safe. I've never stopped needing the company of a stuffed animal in order to feel safe and sure of my identity whenever I go out in public anywhere, but when I started being criticized for it, I started carrying small, bean-bag sized stuffed animals with me in my pockets or bag.

...Now, as a young adult, and an exhausting decade and a half of trying to "pass," I still have more or less the same sensory processing issues as I did as a child - turns out that no amount of trying to "pass" made them go away. I still have an array of stim toys I use/carry around, such as Tangle toys, small flocked animal toys (like Calico Critters) and small plushies called "Disney Tsum Tsums." And yes, I still carry small stuffed animals in my pockets and bags, too. :) I also wear chewable pendants. I say, if it helps you feel calm, safe and self-regulated, then go ahead and use it - don't worry about what others will say...until they experience the world as we do, they won't understand.

I didn't mean to ramble on, but I do hope some of this is helpful! Good luck on your project, and if you have any other questions, just ask! :)

I don't recall having major sensory issues as a kid, but I did often plug my ears in public spaces. The toys (and objects in general) that I would stim with were long, and flexible to some degree, and I would dangle and shake them as I paced around. These included objects such as; rubber snakes, long strips of paper, a dog collar, and actiong figure with very loose legs, a stuffed monkey with a long dangly tail, a broken plastic sword that flexed at a stress point, blades of grass, watches, and pretty much anything with string coming off of it.

Something else that might be interesting is incorperating different tactile sensations into conventional stuffies. I have seen dog toys which integrate crunchy plastic into the lining of the fabric. Yuou could also try beads, gell, all manner of materials. Come to think of it, some conventional stuffing materials, like sand, beanbags, and foam, all have unique tactile properties, so by varying these you could create a line of toys with different feels.

An other thing I liked as a kid was wraping myself tightly in blankets and sleeping bags. I don't know how to to turn that into a toy, exactly, but the pressure and sensory isolation were very calming.

My sensory issues as a kid are very similar to what they are today. I love water. I like to watch bubbles. Weighted blankets, balls to sit on, bubble lights, and fidget toys are all wonderful. I don't like anything barely brushing against me.

New Threads

Top Bottom