• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory Issues

Theres nothing really that causes me severe discomfort, well not anymore than anyone else would, its kinda hard to tell to be honest. How do i tell the way something feels or sounds is more discomforting to me than it is anyone else, its not like i can get inside there head and find out. Like for instance i really hate the sound of babies crying, i mean really hate it but i'm sure most people do dont they so can i count that as a hyposensitivity example, who knows i suppose it just must be the really weird ones that count. I do sometimes itch like mad when i get out the shower and put on a shirt, its really annoying and i just gotta scratch like mad also i hate it when i'm in bed and my feet stick out the end of my douvet i cant stand it when the rest of my body is nice and warm and my feet arent.
I suppose hypo's would mean i'm very ticklish but i'm not in fact alot of people are more ticklish than me.Loud noises make me flinch when i know there about to go off but then again that could be something anyone suffers from. The only things i'm pretty sure are hypo's are my hate for some textures in foods and finding it almost impossible to concentrate on two things at once. Anyway this post i suppose is more of a question, how does one with Autism tell if sensitivities to pain, sound, smell or light are actually sensitivities and not just something everyone suffers?

Theres nothing really that causes me severe discomfort, well not anymore than anyone else would, its kinda hard to tell to be honest. How do i tell the way something feels or sounds is more discomforting to me than it is anyone else, its not like i can get inside there head and find out. Like for instance i really hate the sound of babies crying, i mean really hate it but i'm sure most people do dont they so can i count that as a hyposensitivity example, who knows i suppose it just must be the really weird ones that count. I do sometimes itch like mad when i get out the shower and put on a shirt, its really annoying and i just gotta scratch like mad also i hate it when i'm in bed and my feet stick out the end of my douvet i cant stand it when the rest of my body is nice and warm and my feet arent.
I suppose hypo's would mean i'm very ticklish but i'm not in fact alot of people are more ticklish than me.Loud noises make me flinch when i know there about to go off but then again that could be something anyone suffers from. The only things i'm pretty sure are hypo's are my hate for some textures in foods and finding it almost impossible to concentrate on two things at once. Anyway this post i suppose is more of a question, how does one with Autism tell if sensitivities to pain, sound, smell or light are actually sensitivities and not just something everyone suffers?
you can know if you ask other, like all the things i listed no one in my family has those problems, so i can guess that it is something that not everyone has a problem with. with mine it is possible that it is not only people with autism/aspergers that have them but they are not normal or people wouldn't make noises

Wow I thought I was the only one who can't eat mashed potatoes because of the weird texture. I feel like I'm going to throw up form that and other weird texture foods. So I just don't eat them, which is alot of fooods I don't eat :)

I only hate them if they've been through the mixer... When my mom boils them and I take some and mash them up with my fork and then put butter on them, then the texture is consistent and it tastes great. I LOVE THAT. =D

Issues:
sensitivity to noise that is really bad, it like whistling and tapping, most repetitive noises, other than clocks, i like the sound of clocks.

texture of some clothe drive me crazy, they itch or feel tight, i just can't ware them. i don't even ware jeans because of that now.

water, i don't like water drying on me, or being in a pool it just feels really really bad.

really soft things, things that won't scratch or itch.

i love things that smell sweet

the feel of a book in my hand, and the smell of a book

Layla, the water thing makes sense now :) I left alot of stuff out but I try not to think about these things. What would be the sweetest thing you enjoy smelling? For me it is honeysuckle . And everything just smells so beautiful after it rains or early in the morning :s

Layla, the water thing makes sense now :) I left alot of stuff out but I try not to think about these things. What would be the sweetest thing you enjoy smelling? For me it is honeysuckle . And everything just smells so beautiful after it rains or early in the morning :s
not sure what the sweetest thing i like is but i like sweet smelling parfums and stuff, i always wear sweet parfums, like cherry vanilla parfum.

I only hate them if they've been through the mixer... When my mom boils them and I take some and mash them up with my fork and then put butter on them, then the texture is consistent and it tastes great. I LOVE THAT. =D

Ewww I hate butter. There are certain things I just can't eat at all. Like butter, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup... liver... probably other things<> but that was an ugly description there :D

-sean-

Ewww I hate butter. There are certain things I just can't eat at all. Like butter, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup... liver... probably other things<> but that was an ugly description there :D

-sean-

I don't like mayonnaise either. I find it gross how flavorless it is. Yuck. I like ketchup though.

Mayonnaise... flavourless? There's plenty of flavour to it, I love it. In fact I actually had some today. :)

I've had mayonnaise before and I remember there being no flavor, but maybe I just can't taste it and you can. I like Miracle Whip better; it's full of flavor.

mayonase is AWSOME, love it, its so smooth with no little suprises when you eat it. Its food with soft mushy bits in that i hate like apple pie, mince pie and yoghurts with fruit bits in, eeeeeeew. I like simple food like apples. U know if you bite into an apple its nothing but apple your gonna eat. This may sound weird cause i just said i dont like apple pie but thats just how weird i am lol.

HATE LIST IS:
TOMATOES
BROCCALIE
COULIFLOUR
SOLID OR LUQUID FOOD WITH MUSHY BITS IN
(I USED TO HATE MUSHROOMS BUT I'VE SORTA MIND OVER MATTERED THEM AND NOW I LIKE THEM)

It's weired, i tend to like foods that if i eat them i know what there going to feel like in my mouth but things like relish with bitty multiple textures i cant stand, it seems like taste means nothing to me.

mayonase is AWSOME, love it, its so smooth with no little suprises when you eat it. Its food with soft mushy bits in that i hate like apple pie, mince pie and yoghurts with fruit bits in, eeeeeeew. I like simple food like apples. U know if you bite into an apple its nothing but apple your gonna eat. This may sound weird cause i just said i dont like apple pie but thats just how weird i am lol.

I don't like apple pie either. Too chunky. I like pumpkin pie and chocolate pie better. If I'm going to eat yogurt it must not have fruit bits in it, but at the same time I'll only eat creamy yogurt; I can't stand whipped.

I don't like apple pie either. Too chunky. I like pumpkin pie and chocolate pie better. If I'm going to eat yogurt it must not have fruit bits in it, but at the same time I'll only eat creamy yogurt; I can't stand whipped.

I love cherry pie :D. And anything with chocolate in it can't possibly be bad. I wonder if anyone has a problem with most cereals like I do? I have had to throw out so many boxes of cereal because I would like them for like 3 days and then the texture started to go wrong in the milk and I would almost throw up from it. I still don't have any cereal I can eat everyday. But oatmeal's pretty good.....

-sean-

i cant stand more than one sound at a time- like some one talking and music i cant shut one out to listento the other-

i hate nylon it makes my shiver

i hate heat and the bright sun in my eyes GRR

i hate songs i dont like - like i REALLY hate them - the sound of bogs barking also really annoys me

certain materials rubbin on other ew - and i cant wear my socks i bed lol

i love the smell of running water

i love candel light and the smell of them when you blow them out :D

i love the smell of autumn

i love the sound crunching leaves

I hate having my hands in water for too long..... No baths please and marigolds for washing dishes is a must! After 5 minutes my hands feel weird I can't touch anything except plastic bags....That calms the horrible sensation down. Sitting in a Jacuzzi is my idea of hell!

I like textures of certain clothes. I've actually told past girlfriends they need to wear something different because the feel of the clothes irritates me. I hate wearing jeans although I wear them to fit into society. If I had my way I would just wear tracksuits all the time. Oh yes I always sleep naked even in Winter. I cannot stand being in bed with clothes on or in with someone who has clothes on.

Bright lights bring on headaches quickly in me like the morning Sun etc. I wear shades whenever it is sunny so in Winter I get funny looks but wtf if it's a sunny day why not!?

I can't stand being touched. I know if I really love someone when I don't mind them touching me. I hate shaking hands just want to 'fist bump' but some situations require a hand shake. I hate people putting their arm around me especially by men. It's very rare when u can feel comfortable with someone, although I enjoy sex but it's like I become a different character but when it's over.... Leave me alone lol!

I'm sensitive to noises....some sounds make me depressed for that precise moment. I can hear conversations that are meant to be secret....I can tell when someone is talking about me. I need background music or TV at all times unless I'm trying to sleep.

I'm also very nasal I smell everything and I know when I like someone because they smell good. Sometimes I feel like I'm a wild animal lol with the senses I have!

New Threads

Top Bottom