• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory issue with "cuteness"?

Sthira

Hi everyone,

My son (5 y/o, diagnosed with ASD, high-functioning) has this unusual thing where he'll be watching a movie or TV and suddenly cover his ears and eyes for no apparent reason. My wife and I noticed that this behavior was replicable, i.e. his does this at the exact same points in the shows across multiple viewings, so we've asked him about it. He says he does this because whatever is going on in the show at that point is "too cute." I ask him if it scares him and he says no, he just doesn't like it because it is "too cute." We've asked him this question on multiple occasions over the past couple months and the answer is always that it is "too cute." Interesting , eh? The places where we see this behavior are generally upbeat parts of the shows where a group of characters are happily singing together (3 or more), but sometimes its just characters talking in a cheerful or playful way. Anyway, I'm hoping someone here might have insight into what's going on. Thanks in advance for any input.

Last edited:
I have a kind of similar response when a scene is a bit too happy and/or sentimental. Either I don't look, or make a comment of some sort, otherwise I get a feelings-overload (feeling like shouting, or crying, feeling stupid,...). It's just my way to "stay normal" during such scenes.

Yeah, I actually have the same response with this as well - mostly looking away when it gets 'too cute' for my tastes.

Hi everyone,

My son (5 y/o, diagnosed with ASD, high-functioning) has this unusual thing where he'll be watching a movie or TV and suddenly cover his ears and eyes for no apparent reason. My wife and I noticed that this behavior was replicable, i.e. his does this at the exact same points in the shows across multiple viewings, so we've asked him about it. He says he does this because whatever is going on in the show at that point is "too cute." I ask him if it scares him and he says no, he just doesn't like it because it is "too cute." We've asked him this question on multiple occasions over the past couple months and the answer is always that it is "too cute." Interesting , eh? The places where we see this behavior are generally upbeat parts of the shows where a group of characters are happily singing together (3 or more), but sometimes its just characters talking in a cheerful or playful way. Anyway, I'm hoping someone here might have insight into what's going on. Thanks in advance for any input.
I find so cute the fact that he seems to find cuteness a little annoying lol.

Basing this on my own feelings, I would say he feels overwhelmed. Someone without aspergers often says the same: oh my goodness, that is just too cute and laugh and get on. When I find something too cute, I go into a sort of mental shut down, because the emotions are too overwhelming for me. I will actually wring my hands and bounce up and down and hey, this is a 46 year old lol

He does not undestand his feelings at the moment.

This happens to me sometimes too, but more often for scenes where a character does something shameful or embarrassing. I used to close my ears when that happened. I'm better now, but even now and then I cover my ears when someone talks about an injury or a dead animal. It's too overwhelming.

Thanks, everyone. This helps me to understand a little better what he's feeling. I'm comforted to know that other people have had similar reactions.

> I'm better now, but even now and then I cover my ears when someone talks about an injury or a dead animal. It's too overwhelming.

My son does this as well. He has issues with blood, etc. and can get really anxious over even a very tiny scratch. If he sees a dead animal or bug outside he will not forget and will avoid that area for months or longer. He saw a dead squirrel a year or so back in this neighborhood where we sometimes go for walks, and every time we walk near that area he calls it the "mansion of 10,000 dead squirrels" (he likes to make things epic like that, e.g. "the mountain of 10,000 peaks", etc.)

New Threads

Top Bottom