• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD than a personality disorder

Oz67

Schizoid Personality Disorder looks like ASD to me.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder:

* Lack of interest in social or personal relationships, preferring to be alone
* Limited range of emotional expression
* Inability to take pleasure in most activities
* Inability to pick up normal social cues
* Appearance of being cold or indifferent to others
* Little or no interest in having sex with another person

If you have inability to pick up on any social cues and have inability to take pleasure in most activities, you have a Pervasive Developmental Disorder of some sort.

I think that 'Schizoid Personality Disorder' should be removed from diagnostic manuals, because symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder includes communication delays that was not detected until adulthood.

When I looked at the symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder, it looks more like a Communication Disorder than a personality disorder.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder:

They do not desire or enjoy close relationships, even with family members.
They choose solitary jobs and activities.
They take pleasure in few activities, including sex.
They have no close friends, except first-degree relatives.
They have difficulty relating to others.
They are indifferent to praise or criticism.
They are aloof and show little emotion.
They might daydream and/or create vivid fantasies of complex inner lives.

Symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder that looks like ASD:

* They have difficulty relating to others. (Looks like lack of social skills)
* They are aloof and show little emotion. (Looks like problems with social-emotional reciprocity)
* They might daydream and/or create vivid fantasies of complex inner lives. (Fantasies, especially about imaginary friends is very common in ASD).

It may be some type of developmental disorder or mental illness that has little to do with formation of personality or trauma. But it's not autism.

Autists still want contact with people and intimacy, are often sensitive to praise and very sensitive to criticism. Schizoid only overlaps with autism in some symptoms.

I think that 'Schizoid Personality Disorder' should be removed from diagnostic manuals, because symptoms of Schizoid Personality Disorder includes communication delays that was not detected until adulthood.
Actually i heard they were going to do that, people would schizoid pd would then fall under schizotypal, schizophrenia, avoidant pd and maybe some autism.

Back in the old days they thought that autism was "juvenile schizophrenia." Of course this meant the old-time definition of autism equalling the stuff that makes kids not talk, and the high-functioning autism being just "hey, your kids are weird."

I do not think we should redefine everything. Schizoid personalities are very different than autistic ones. Not all autistics are asexual; ask the married folks here (or don't. That is their business.) And if we take no pleasure in activities--why then would we delight in special interests?

Some of those things sound like me but idk.

I find very much delight in things I am interested in. I wouldn’t really say I’m disinterested in much of anything I do. I find enjoyment in even a lot of everyday activities. So that doesn’t sound like me at all.

I am disinterested in sex and somewhat aloof. But I do desire close friendships and I’m able to connect with people (when they’re the right people.) I do have some friends.

I am “indifferent” to praise for the most part (because I’m sometimes skeptical of whether it’s genuine, although I do appreciate praise) but I’m very triggered and hurt by criticism and very reactive to negative criticism and insults. I always have been :(
I also feel like everyone expects me to make drastic progress immediately and no one notices the small things. And I feel like sometimes expectations are unrealistic and then criticism hurts more.

I do sometimes fantasize about having a better or more interesting life, because I feel like everyone thinks I’m boring and I have no life :(

So idk, some of those things I can relate to, but I think my symptoms line up better with ASD and (complex) PTSD, which are the things I’m diagnosed with.

As @Gerontius noted, many ASD folk desire intimacy and close connection to others with or without sex. And many of us desire praise as well as being upset by negative criticisim.

In fact, for myself, I could have been born with "Just feaking love me already!" tattooed acros my butt and it would be accurate enough!

That’s interesting. I can see someone with those traits being diagnosed with autism. I wonder how clinicians differentiate.

Spectrum is an umbrella. I thought some autistic showed interest in sex, others didn't.
Many women report trying relationships and loosing interest.
Maybe a schizoid can define here how and why they fall on spectrum and if it can be overlap of illness. Have both

Sometimes and I'm older now, I get so sick shallow people that I don't bother to listen to opinions anymore, almost as if you can guess people as life experience grows. People can also react to criticism differently as in one day you stop caring.

Maybe John Nash in story of beautiful mind is ambidextrous, so autism is brilliant mathematician like Lewis Carol and overlap with schitso....
So was he crazy or did they steal his work

It probably doesn't really exist. All mental illnesses are partially socially constructed. Personality disorders seem especially so. The only reason this disorder is even in the dsm is because of the results of a board vote.

Last edited:
It probably doesn't really exist. All mental illnesses are partially socially constructed. Personality disorders seem especially so. The only reason this disorder is even in the dsm is because of the results of a board vote.
I genuinely disagree with you on this one.

I get what you mean with constructed, since ultimately we decide where to put the boundaries. But these aren't drawn up on a whim. It's a pattern. Behavior is more often a consequence of a state of mind than its own cause. Following the thread in reverse, from behavior to state of mind, and noticing a pattern of pain, confusion and difficulty functioning, should absolutely be qualified as some type of condition. Just because the exact borders are always fuzzy, doesn't make the broader idea not exist. And these are often ideas that require treatment and support.

I get what you mean with constructed, since ultimately we decide where to put the boundaries. But these aren't drawn up on a whim. It's a pattern. Behavior is more often a consequence of a state of mind than its own cause. Following the thread in reverse, from behavior to state of mind, and noticing a pattern of pain, confusion and difficulty functioning, should absolutely be qualified as some type of condition. Just because the exact borders are always fuzzy, doesn't make the broader idea not exist. And these are often ideas that require treatment and support.
From a scientific perspective it's difficult to take many entries in the dsm seriously. And that matters, you can't view a psychological disorder the same way you do any other medical disorder.

Sometimes a persons diagnosis is actually actively harmful to them as they come to believe that all that Is written about it in literature applies to them.

Last edited:
From a scientific perspective it's difficult to take many entries in the dsm seriously. And that matters, you can't view a psychological disorder the same way you do any other medical disorder.

Sometimes a persons diagnosis is actually actively harmful to them as they come to believe that all that Is written about it in literature applies to them.
Which is why you need professional help if you have difficulty understanding your own reality/ own version of the condition. Conditions like paranoia or true schizophrenia are incredibly difficult to deal with because of this. But they are very real and very serious.
Let's say someone is bipolar, the shock of being told they're bipolar can absolutely contribute an outburst and ruin self-esteem. Bipolar is well known and often used as an insult towards people that can't keep themselves calm or consistent. Yet it's still much better to get through this potentially rough acceptance period, as knowing what kind of condition you have is a guidepost in seeking assistance or building your own strategies. Stick with a therapist if you're having an excessively rough time and ask them any questions you have (and then get 2nd and 3rd opinions if what they say doesn't sit well.)

This is dangerous, know your drugs, know your symptoms, know the side effects
I included a link as well.

My mom doesn't listen, again psychiatric drugs changed from schitso now it's bipolar and her meds epilum. ( She's old not realising she's on spectrum, she also has diabetes type 2 and below is article asking medical advice for aspies...)

She was shaking as I fetched from old age home to visit. So check blood pressure, very high, and her heart rate is not stable!!
How many people don't know that aspirin isn't suitable for everyone, no Mon you shouldn't thin your blood, say doesn't insulin do this.
So age as factor is when insulin which is hormone is produced by body less...very interesting

Specifically, the hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine make the brain's blood vessels expand and contract. High blood sugar messes with the normal flow of blood and can make your head hurt until your blood levels are more in equilibrium. Headache

7 signs you have high blood sugar even if you don't have diabetes​

Every year, nearly 100,000 adults aged 65 and older are admitted to the hospital for drug side effects. In a recent study, the majority of problems were caused by "blood thinners" (warfarin and other oral anti-thrombosis drugs) and diabetes drugs (insulin and oral diabetes medicines). Preventing serious side effects is a job for the patient, the family, caregivers, and health professionals.

Disclaimer and advice: warfarin and aspirin must not be taken with epilum, read side effects.

Psychotropic drugs, such as chlorpromazine, imipramine, or diazepam, were developed by astute researchers, at a time when several neurotransmitters had not yet been discovered and when little was known about the physiology of neurotransmitters. The modes of action of these first psychotropic drugs were discovered years after they had been successfully used clinically, and are still undergoing further study. A psychotropic drug can be described according to the way in which it influences receptors, transporters, and enzymes, ie, the cellular sites of its pharmacological actions. These drugs can be selective to a greater or lesser extent. There are the so-called “dirty” drugs that influence a large number of brain systems. Chlorpromazine is an example of such a nonselective psychotropic drug as it acts as an antagonist of many dopaminergic, adrenergic, serotonergic, cholinergic, and hislarninergic receptors and has a membranestabilizing action. Clozapine is another example of a drug that acts on many cell-membrane receptors or transporters; it is difficult to explain why blocking all these systems with clozapine has led to the best results yet. seen in the treatment of schizophrenia. Prescribing only clozapine to a patient cannot, be said to be monotherapy, because more than 10 different modes of action may be involved in its clinical effects. On the other hand, there are psychotropic drugs with a more selective mode of action, for example, the serotonin (5-HT) transporter (5-HTT) blockers (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors [SSRIs]). When these drugs are administered, however, physiological systems subserving many brain functions are influenced, as is apparent, from the list of their beneficial and adverse effects. Selectivity is also relative if one considers the number of intracellular changes that, are induced following drug administration, and the number of different neuronal circuits that are influenced. For example, an agonist, of the Mi muscarinic receptor, a drug that may be useful in dementia of the Alzheimer type, has a selective mode of action. However, this selectivity is only at the cell membrane receptor level

I thought I had spd...but alot of other contributing factors lead me to believe that it isn't the whole core of how I conduct myself.

So in short for spd people that are low function are typically hermits and have an extreme hard time understanding that you can set boundaries and negotiate with people.

High functioning typically understand you can set boundaries/negotiate and mostly are misanthropes and feel everyone is trying to intrusive or engulf them. (obviously one function or detail I gave doesn't fit all and understand generalizing a whole group is ignorant)

In regards to overlap, in the wrong clinicians hands I could see how in some circumstances diagnosing people incorrectly with autism or spd or vice versa which in some regards would be relatively easy given their function level. This all stems down into "you have a label know what?" journey.

The dsm is great for insurance companies for claims it is also list very extremely vauge observations in its description of said personality disorder but does not unpack the mechanisms why each trait manifest in a person to prescribe such a diagnosis.

New Threads

Top Bottom