• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Saturday Morning Cartoons- Your Earliest Memories

Almost everything from the 1990s mentioned in this thread, and some cartoons from decades before the 90s airing as re-runs. Not all of the shows I watched were Saturday morning cartoons, but that's a list that I'd rather not fill up a post with right now.

None of the above. (OK, @Gerald Wilgus, Clutch Cargo with the live animated lips dubbed onto flat storyboards - cutting edge technology. And @Richelle-H, the live shows, though my favourite was Jet Jackson. Not to mention Hopalong Cassidy.) Bugs Bunny (and Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies) were sooo long-lived. But nobody remembers Felix? Atom Ant? Torchy the Battery Boy? Prince Planet? Rocky and Bullwinkle? Astro Boy? The Magic Roundabout? (Drug-influenced puppetry?) Thunderbirds? (Puppetry without the drugs.) Hand puppets were Sooty and Sweep. I keep forgetting the name of the cartoon series about the man run down by a car and put in a robot body by a secretive scientist/doctor, who then went crime-fighting. I remember he replenished his energy by inhaling from ignited “energy-sticks” - sneak in some subliminal promotion of smoking for the kiddies?

Yes to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Astro Boy and also to Felix the Cat, who just so happens to be my avatar. The rest I'm not familiar with, so I'll have to check those out as well.

Fun fact: Felix's history predates every character mentioned in this thread - according to Wikipedia, he was created in 1919. Felix the Cat might not have had the same success as some of the more popular characters/shows or what not that people think of, but I thought I'd point that out.

Last edited:
Almost everything from the 1990s mentioned in this thread, and some cartoons from decades before the 90s airing as re-runs. Not all of the shows I watched were Saturday morning cartoons, but that's a list that I'd rather not fill up a post with right now.

Yes to Rocky and Bullwinkle, Astro Boy and also to Felix the Cat, who just so happens to be my avatar. The rest I'm not familiar with, so I'll have to check those out as well.

Fun fact: Felix's history predates every character mentioned in this thread - according to Wikipedia, he was created in 1919. Felix the Cat might not have had the same success as some of the more popular characters/shows or what not that people think of, but I thought I'd point that out.
Interestingly with Felix, his movie apparently has a remastered version of the CGI head at the beginning that looks better and actually has the lips sync up with his words:

As for me, I was first introduced to him from watching the Twisted Tales TV series:

Oh, and about The Raccoons, another cartoon series from Canada mentioned in this thread (thanks @AGXStarseed!), here's the absolute banger of a song called "Run With Us" by Lisa Lougheed, which was used in the closing sequence of that show:

Lisa Lougheed - Run with us

I remember finding both The Raccoons and an English-dubbed Kimba the White Lion (TV series, not the manga, also created by Osamu Tesuka, who created Astro Boy) on some spotty, hard to get UHF channel. Both shows, far as I can remember, were pretty tame - especially The Raccoons - compared to a lot of the American made shows I'd watched, yet both of those were surprisingly good.

I don't remember watching cartoons in the 70s although some were packaged as part of the Banana Splits (The Arabian Knights for example). Not sure if Banana Splits were Saturday mornings though. I do remember watching loads of Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy and Harold Lloyd repeats, wrestling and I'm pretty sure we had Star Trek repeats on a Saturday morning. In my opinion, after school was the time for the best children's programming in the UK: The Saga of Noggin the Nog, Jamie and the Magic Torch, Ivor the Engine, Noah and Nellie, Roobarb & Custard and the non-cartoon Clangers, Bagpuss, Fingerbobs, Pipkins, Hickory House, Rentaghost.

I'll post some theme tunes separately.

As for theme tunes, the best I can think of (again, not a cartoon) is for The Flashing Blade shown as part of Banana Splits. Seriously, one of the greatest themes ever!

New Threads

Top Bottom