• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Saturday Morning Cartoons- Your Earliest Memories

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I want you to think back to your very earliest memories of childhood.

What do you remember watching on Saturday Morning?

Post the theme songs here!

Last edited:
Ren and Stimpy, and Pinky & The Brain are the earliest ones that come to mind, for some reason. Both totally inappropriate for whatever age I was at the time (probably like 5.)

As school was 15 miles away, I rarely got home in time for cartoons. Especially as my mum worked at the school as the secretary and often stayed late.

On Saturdays, I guess my early memories were things like Thundercats, Conan, Animaniacs, Looney Tunes and such like.

I remember from quite a young age I used to VHS record Simpsons episodes. Did the same with South Park when that was on. Ended up with a season or 2 worth in recordings.

Ed

Mercy me, this makes me feel quite old. The shows that were on when I was a child were mostly live shows: Time for Beany and Thunderbolt the Wondercolt (both puppet shows); Andy's Gang, notable for the appearance of Froggy the Gremlin in a puff of smoke whenever the phrase Plunk your magic twanger Froggy! was uttered and I will leave it at that; there was also Space Patrol.

Television was new and some programs were isolated to specific geographic locations like Engineer Bill's Cartoon Express, which showed old cartoons.

I have clear pictures in my head of all of these shows but no pictures to share, unfortunately, though you may find quite a bit if you do a search on any of them.

FoxKids. X-Men 90s, Batman the animated series 90s, Superman 90s, Spiderman 90s, Bettleborgs, Freakazoid, PepperAnn, Doug, Digimon.

I remember waking up the morning Diana died (97)....and was Like "wot is this??? where are my cartoons?"

X-Men 90s, Batman the animated series 90s, Superman 90s, Spiderman 90s, Freakazoid,

Doug, Ren & Stimpy, Aaah real monsters, Rugrats, Hey Arnold, angry beavers

Catdog, cow & chicken, ed ed and eddy,

Man..I could go on and on... it's endless.. which cartoons didn't I watch?!...there is nothing I did not enjoy. I watched it all. I got up early , specifically not to miss it. Like 6am. Sometimes even earlier.

Cartoons like; 'Earthworm Jim. The Magic schoolbus. Bill & Ted. The Pink Panther 90's. You name it, I Probably saw it.

Early memories. I really liked Sky King on Saturdays, and Soupy Sales at other times. There were cartoons that gave me the creeps, though I watched in rapt fascination like seeing a train wreck. It was Clutch Cargo with those creepy mouths.

Speed Racer
The Adventures of Jonny Quest
Looney Tunes
The Land of The Lost
Sigmund the Sea Monster and other Sid and Marty Croft shows
Davey and Goliath

Bugs Bunny over all. That was the one you could count on always being on and the only one that I knew when it started.

The second most popular was Scooby Doo, but my brothers and I stopped watching it after they introduced Scrappy Doo.

After that, the most memorable was Schoolhouse Rock and the Time for Timer PSAs. I can still sing so many of those.

Others - whatever was on. I remember:
Superfriends, Fat Albert, Scooby Doo, Speed Buggy, Flintstones, Laff Olympics, Pink Panther, The Ant and the Aardvark, Hong Kong Phooey, Hair Bears, Tom & Jerry, Clue Club, Fang Face, He-Man, Blackstar, Space Ghost, Captain Caveman, The Herculoids, Thunder Cats, Voltron, Thundarr the Barbarian, Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch, Jabberjaw, Josie and the Pussycats, Wonder Bug.

Here's some obscure Saturday Morning shows I saw. None of them lasted very long, but when one stopped, something else replaced it:

The Ghost Busters (1975):
I was so young when I saw this that I had forgotten about it when the 1984 Ghostbusters movie came out. A decade later, I remembered this, and then had to convince myself that it actually existed. It took another solid decade for the internet to show anything on this.

The Monster Squad:

The Far Out Space Nuts:

Ark II:

Shazaam:

Isis:
https://youtu.be/FdBRLV6PGro

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl:
https://youtu.be/-9RqDx5qOe8

Land of the Lost:
https://youtu.be/n3m7Xow0YxE

Last edited:
I was a 90's kid myself, so I remember waking up on Saturday mornings to watch Diggit - which was one of those kids programs (created by Disney) that played cartoons and had competitions you could enter.
(On a side note, a young Fearne Cotton was one of the presenters).

Through Diggit, I watched a lot of different cartoons (some more than others), although it's a struggle to remember when I watched what and when.
Since there's too many to show videos for all of them, I'll leave links to their intros on YouTube:

Adventures of the Gummi Bears
The Jungle Cubs
Ducktales
Aladdin: The Animated Series
Talespin
Sonic Underground

The Legend of Tarzan
Chip 'N' Dale: Rescue Rangers
101 Dalmatians: The Animated Series
Darkwing Duck
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
Disney's Doug