• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sam Vaknin's view on Autism Spectrum

I think he is missing something: our "obsession" in our special interest is not a reaction to rejection, but because we are built like that. Even if we were loved, we would still have our interests. This sounds a lot like a variation on the "refrigerator mother" model, which is also wrong.

ASD is a developmental disorder, not a personality disorder.

I don't see any medical background for the speaker.

Poor guy. He's that narcissistic, right? At least he came out about it so people know. That is a narcissistic with a conscience of some kind.

I think he is missing something: our "obsession" in our special interest is not a reaction to rejection, but because we are built like that. Even if we were loved, we would still have our interests. This sounds a lot like a variation on the "refrigerator mother" model, which is also wrong.

ASD is a developmental disorder, not a personality disorder.

I don't see any medical background for the speaker.

His medical background is that he is a narcissistic nutcase, l mean narcissistic pecan pie. He probably has 400 youtube videos on just him alone.

Although I think he exagerates a lot when he speaks about the autistic person, and he's mostly talking about autistic males, I agree in general with what he says.
I've watched many of his videos because my ex-husband is a narcissist, and Vakner is a self proclaimed malignant narcissist (or psychopath, depending on who's talking).

I’ve watched about one and a half of his videos, just do not like him. I grew up with an introverted narcissist mother and have had it up to my neck with those kinds of people - he’s so in your face about it that I cannot give him the time - he tires me out, hard to watch that much energy he puts into trying to explain why it’s okay for him to be a jerk IMHO.

I’ve watched about one and a half of his videos, just do not like him. I grew up with an introverted narcissist mother and have had it up to my neck with those kinds of people - he’s so in your face about it that I cannot give him the time - he tires me out, hard to watch that much energy he puts into trying to explain why it’s okay for him to be a jerk IMHO.

Can l get Amen in agreement?
Amen, Amen, Amen

Dont forget that sam is mentally ill and feeding his false self is his biggest objective.
I don't believe Mr Vaknin is a narcissist. I think he is intelligent.
A true intelligent narcissist would find more selfish ways to make money. A true intelligent narcissist would get narcissistic supply by other ways than educating people about narcisissm. A true narcissist would not want audiences to know the games they play.

I think his views on AS are generalised.

I don't think that person understands autism very well. I'm interested because it's interesting, and I'll go out into the world to learn more. I even ended up as a teacher, as do many other autistics. That's not exactly the same as withdrawing from society because one has no choice. And the people I trust the most aren't even family members.

Though maybe my mom is at fault. She pushed me out into the world to connect with other people who also have serious interest, and oftentimes the same as mine.

Weird talk. But I guess a narcissist would want to put down people they don't want to acknowledge as better than themself in any way. Isn't that a typical narcissist behavior?

I don't believe Mr Vaknin is a narcissist. I think he is intelligent.
A true intelligent narcissist would find more selfish ways to make money. A true intelligent narcissist would get narcissistic supply by other ways than educating people about narcisissm. A true narcissist would not want audiences to know the games they play.

I think his views on AS are generalised.
He says he is a narcissist, he repeats it several times in his videos, and even explains the severe child trauma that originated it.

He says he is a narcissist, he repeats it several times in his videos, and even explains the severe child trauma that originated it.
As much as I have read about Mr Vaknin, I have not read about the severe childhood trauma that he endured. Maybe I just didn't come across it. Do you have a link to a page which describes the trauma he suffered?
I have reason to believe my late Dad was on the Dark Spectrum, he ticks a lot of the boxes in the DSM for Dark triad, he had major trauma.

The trauma that he probably made up or exaggerated, those people always have pathetic excuses as to why they are the way they are.
I believe my Dad when he told me what happened to him, (Poss NPD/ASPD)
His energy carried the effects from trauma.
I don't believe Mr Vaknin is an NPD because he wants to enlighten people, and if anyone were to suggest money and attention to be his motives for doing so, I would argue that a true Narcissist would rather choose more darker means to acquire wealth and fame, he is intelligent enough.

Poor guy. He's that narcissistic, right? At least he came out about it so people know. That is a narcissistic with a conscience of some kind.
I mentioned above I don't believe he has NPD, NPD's would make their money and get their fame through dark means, he is doing it by helping people.

His medical background is that he is a narcissistic nutcase, l mean narcissistic pecan pie. He probably has 400 youtube videos on just him alone.
He helps people by educating them all about narcissism.
A true NPD would make money and do YT vids for selfish reasons and want to hinder people. I think he is highly intelligent, he might have some MH problems, but I doubt he is a narc.

A true NPD would make money and do YT vids for selfish reasons and want to hinder people. I think he is highly intelligent, he might have some MH problems, but I doubt he is a narc.

He has admitted he has narcissistic qualities . I watched his videos. But you are welcome to your views. And l always enjoy reading your insights.☺

He has admitted he has narcissistic qualities . I watched his videos. But you are welcome to your views. And l always enjoy reading your insights.☺
I am always open to revising my opinions. It's amazing how we can be convinced of some things we see as facts, only, then, to be shown new information, which alters my opinion. He is a complex man that is for sure, I am thankful for the vid.

He doesn't seem to understand "when you have met one autistic person, then you have met one autistic person". When he said we are "clueless" he was talking to me, otherwise I just wanted him to stop talking.

New Threads

Top Bottom