• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Run inside? Run outside? Runner's High?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Looks like a few runners here. I just started on my own inside because l probably would fall down outside.

Any senior runners here? What shoes do you like? Do you force yourself to warm up ankles and calves? Do you follow a post snack after you run?

How often do you run? Have you had a running injuries? This post is open to all runners.

I'll toss in a couple quick thoughts about shoes:

1) Have a rotation of two, preferably three shoes. Giving them breaks to rebound will ensure longer shoe life versus wearing the same shoe every day.

2) Keep track of shoe mileage. A shoe may be "worn out" for running or speedwalking even when it's still showing tread - for most shoes, 500-600 miles is usually the top range of running longevity (some have shorter longevity - around 400 miles). Of course once a shoe has reached the end of its running life it's still fine to use it as a casual walking around shoe. Just remember not to do anything else in it or you may risk injury, especially if you have unusual shoe wear patterns. Getting plantar fasciitis from wearing a worn out shoe is an avoidable injury.

3) I personally like neutral all-around shoes (e.g. Nike Pegasus, New Balance 880, Brooks Ghost, etc.) that you can use for speed work, or for distance.

4) For any popular shoes, like the ones I mentioned, you may be able to get last year's models from an outlet or online at a significant discount.

5) Youth sizes are the same as women's sizes. So if you wear women's size 5, try looking for a youth size 5 - there's a good chance it's cheaper as well and may come in brighter colors if that's your thing.

5a) Men's sizes = women's size + 1.5 and a width. So a men's size 9 = women's size 10.5 wide. Ladies with wide feet and gentlemen with narrow feet may wish to consider shoes made for the other gender for additional options as such. Usually the main difference is color selection.

edit: correction to size conversion example

Last edited:
Only time I run is when I need to make a deposit in the toilet unexpectedly ;)

I once used an exercise bike for about a year. Every day for a few months initially, then, most days for the rest of the year. An hour's intense riding, with a sprint finish. It was hard work but very rewarding afterwards. I got fit, I lost weight, I even had to buy new clothes.

But around the end of the year I started to miss more and more days... I get up quite early and felt very disciplined doing my exercises (which included using weights first to warm up). I started to feel like I'd achieved everything I set out to achieve, and doing less mileage, less often, seemed to be a slow descent into letting it go entirely, which was what happened.

When I was a lot younger I did try running outside for a while, but I couldn't keep that going either. Perhaps it was just me having a special interest for a while. The only thing I do now is walk, regularly, several miles a day. I prefer to be outside. I prefer the slow pace of moving through the world, and sometimes walking faster when I feel like it. While I may not be as fit as I once was... I'm not doing too bad for 58 either. :)

Sometimes l had to wear men shoes because the female selection was extremely low.

Great idea about rotation. For some reason l was unable to outfit myself with decent shoes for anything. But l continued running because nothing could kill that passion. I ran thru a bad marriage, ran thru a bad divorce, ran thru being bullied.

Notice you do some serious running @VictorR. How long have you been running?

I got into speedwalking about 5-6 years ago. I'm not built for running and so don't run or jog often, though sometimes when I'm in a good mood I might go for it. (For every collegiate athlete, pro, and Olympian , there's got to be some folks on the opposite end of the bell curve...)

Speedwalking training is pretty similar to running training, aside from the lower speeds, and that some running shoes are not suitable for walking, for which flats or neutrals are best, and heavy "rocker" type shoes that help facilitate the heel-toe motion are also fine.

The main issue with walking is that it can be harder to find clubs / groups as a working person since many are recreational and retiree-oriented with primarily weekday morning outings, and not many cities have walking clubs that include a training component.

Despite the solidarity, I had made it one of my special interests and so really got into things. It is sometimes awkward when I'm asked about my times since at face value, one may think that I'm super lazy and don't train or try, since they're easily in the bottom 10% of results for mixed run/walk events. But when I was actively training and regularly racing in 2019, my resting heart rate was in the 50s, so I'm pretty sure that I was near the peak of my physical capabilities, and all we can do is try our best.

Now speedwalking is pretty interesting. I try to do it on the treadmill but it actually is very tiring. I don't understand how it can be harder then jogging. Go figure that out.

I run two days a week usually, sometimes more, for three miles wearing a 20lb weighted vest.

I walk one day a week for ten miles with a 40lb rucksack.

Having children curbed this activity a great deal because I love to go on long runs and walks.

It gives me focus like nothing else, like a horse with blinders. Everything else goes away but-for the mission of getting from A to B and B back to A. Once I get past the initial shins being on fire, usually two miles, I can walk until I have to eat and sleep.

I hope that someday my son who's three months old now will want to walk the entirety of American Discovery Trail Delware to California with me.

Being a realist, by the time he's 18, my body will certainly laugh at the proposition and we likely would use the equestrian trail rather than walk.

When I first left the military I walked a 200 mile stretch over a little under a month but was offered a job by a family friend that I couldn't refuse and cut it short.

I like running. Try to get a couple of 5-7km runs in each week as part of my overall health plan till I die.

Good amount of hills around here so you don’t have to run as far for the same benefit. Sometimes I’ll run up a hill, walk back to the bottom and run up again until my lungs hurt and then walk home.

Usually walk the first half km to warm up, then a bit of a jog and walk again before turning up the heat. It’s not as easy as it was 20 years ago.

Been using New Balance shoes for years as they simply work like they’re supposed to. Due for a new pair but waiting for the EOFY sales.

Flagstaff, AZ had a great outlet for runner shoes. I really miss that store. Carried all the brands.

I started using a lightweight shoe but l hope l am okay with style. Maybe a stiffer shoe will be needed by another year. I keep wondering when l will stop? But you get the itch, and you are back running. First l ran to loose 15 lbs. Then l just kept at it. Tried to get my daughter to come but she stopped coming. Maybe she will pick it up again.

Running is great in helping me stay neutral in regards for feelings. And when l run, l can do spatial games way quicker. It helped when l needed to multitask at one job l had. I started with just 20 mins a session, jogging, then moved to a fast jog.

Last edited:
I started running about 2 months ago. I was doing the Couch 2 5k program. Unfortunately, I am chronically ill, and I had a flare so I've had to temporarily (I hope, at least) stop running. But I was doing pretty well. I was doing a walk/run program for about half an hour 3-4 times a week. I actually need new shoes if I start running again. I was thinking about maybe Adidas Ultraboost? Are those good?

I started running about 2 months ago. I was doing the Couch 2 5k program. Unfortunately, I am chronically ill, and I had a flare so I've had to temporarily (I hope, at least) stop running. But I was doing pretty well. I was doing a walk/run program for about half an hour 3-4 times a week. I actually need new shoes if I start running again. I was thinking about maybe Adidas Ultraboost? Are those good?

If you're looking for a nice well-supported/cushioned shoe that's comfortable for walking and running, Adidas Ultraboost is a popular choice. Another one, which I personally like due to it's rocker-like-bottom, is New Balance 1080. Brooks Glyercin is another heavy runner, but I find that Brooks shoes are a bit narrow.

If possible, see if you have a local shoe store rather than buying online since some allow you to try out for a little bit so you decide if that pair does work for you, and if not, to perhaps try a different one.

If you're looking for a nice well-supported/cushioned shoe that's comfortable for walking and running, Adidas Ultraboost is a popular choice. Another one, which I personally like due to it's rocker-like-bottom, is New Balance 1080. Brooks Glyercin is another heavy runner, but I find that Brooks shoes are a bit narrow.

If possible, see if you have a local shoe store rather than buying online since some allow you to try out for a little bit so you decide if that pair does work for you, and if not, to perhaps try a different one.
Thank you for the recommendations! I appreciate it. I will look for a local shoe store.

I used to run. I mean run….a lot…. One day I picked up a mountain bike and opted for that over running. Also I didn’t have the time commitment to run. I’d peak at 70 plus miles a week. Did about 18 ultras. Longest was 101 miles but mostly ran
50 milers.

I also had a hate for running any roads at all. Tried to get 100% single track unless it was a paved connector. ;)
That’s me in black coming into 20 mile aid station in a trail run in a wilderness area. :). I did that event 3 years. The more remote the better. This was an access road we popped out on for 7 miles.

0BBDA42E-E0FF-4CBD-BE2C-E06084265EBE.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like a few runners here. I just started on my own inside because l probably would fall down outside.

Any senior runners here? What shoes do you like? Do you force yourself to warm up ankles and calves? Do you follow a post snack after you run?

How often do you run? Have you had a running injuries? This post is open to all runners.
I began running in January 2022 as a part of my weight loss journey, I was 280lbs and at first I only did the bicycle machines for 35 minutes and then I eased into using a treadmill.

I walked for the first week for 25 minutes on the treadmill, then in the second week I decided to run every 2 minutes for 1 minute, in that 2 minutes I would rest.

After a while I could run for 5 minutes with no breaks, and soon I could go on for longer after that!

I do prefer to wear light clothing such as bottoms with my ankles covered, I like running trainers which are soft and comfortable for the foot.

I ran everyday, I have never sustained an injury other than in my knee which was unrelated to running.

Great to have runners, fast joggers, or even walkers. Just get up and move. So important in this digital world. We aren't computers.

I haven't run in quite a long time due to a running injury I sustained during a marathon. I was stupid about it because I'd trained so long I forced myself to finish the race no matter what; unfortunately it was at the cost of a ligament injury. That part also sucked because I went from running as part of my routine to zero in one race. I think I also made a mistake in the marathon because I was in the best shape after training that I'd ever been in and for the first 10k I only breathed only through my nose. I didn't feel the need to open my mouth to breathe. Mistake. I think I ended up creating an oxygen deficit as the race progressed by not taking enough of it in in the first 10k.

Runner's High is a real thing and I have to admit I was addicted to it. So when I had to stop running abruptly I think it sent me into a psychological withdrawal of sorts and a depression. Thankfully I got over it but decided walking for exercise was what my body was more suited to.

I over-pronate so I ran with really cushy shoes and orthotics and in reality I would say that I was a fast jogger rather than a "runner". It's cool too, recognizing how much better and more natural you get from just starting running for the first time to working up to where you can run good distance. At first running feels clunky, lumbering, uncoordinated. After doing it for awhile it feels more natural.

I liked running for many reasons. I liked taking solo runs all around where I lived including on beautiful trails, right down the middle of the main street downtown at 5am before there was any traffic, etc. I will never forget a neon pink/fuchsia sunrise over a frozen lake I ran next to in the middle of winter.

Running also helped me to realize and accept my limitations. Kids are taught "You can do ANYTHING if you work hard enough at it." However, not everyone can be an elite runner. In fact very few people can. Elite runners are amazing athletes. Most people don't realize how fast they run/sprint, non-stop from the start of a marathon to its finish for...26.2 miles. Their bodies are designed for that kind of running and most people's bodies are not, no matter how hard they'd try. So running helped me appreciate and accept what I was and what I wasn't capable of.

Run everywhere! I used to liked to run. I've noticed that with age, I benefited from good warm up before run and some fitness exercise on daily basis to help strengthen my other muscles to make running and recovery more pleasant and safe.
I did 30 min stretching, 15 min fitness (squats,push ups, star jumps, sit ups) combined before going for 30-60 min run. I used to run on the morning, very early.
I would repeat fitness routine on the evening to keep my muscles in check.
Results after few months was amazing. I got shredded without going to gym... (I did eat healthy as well) ...

I tell people l use to run for the high, then l ran to get thru my divorce, then l ran to calibrate my brain as l have aged and dealt with bullies. It can probably be classified as fast jogging, but at least l am still doing it.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom