• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ruby's Intro

Ruby_Aspergic

Some of you may have read parts of this on other forums, I have been trying out a coupe trying to find my niche. I think I like this one best, so hopefully you all will accept me here.

My name is Ruby, and I am a 21 year old college student. I was just diagnosed with high functioning autism on Monday, but I was told that though autism was the most accurate diagnostic label I may find I relate more with people that have Aspergers due to my level of function and all the literature the doctor gave me was for aspergers anyway, so I am here. It kind of blows my mind that I have autism. I don't view it as a negative thing, on the contrary in many ways it is a positive, but I am still having a hard time adjusting to the idea. Though I know I am still the same person, I do feel like the knowledge has changed me somehow, but I can't figure out what that change means. I just feel blank about it, I know I feel different in some way but I don't know what it is that's different. I don't know.

Things have been awkward since I got the results. I live 20 minutes from my parents in the dorms at my school. They gave me a ride home and short of a few utterances that led me to believe they were in denial, they didn't say anything to me the whole way home. I think they are avoiding me now. And I have to go home for Spring break on Saturday, so that's awesome. I'd rather not spend a week being avoided or treated like a mistake. My boyfriend of two years was extremely weirded out at first but I think he is getting over it, I saw him today and he seemed totally normal. I think he is afraid we will have children with severe autism. I told him that autism was already in my family and me having it didn't guarantee our kids would, and me not having it wouldn't have kept them from having it, either. He's just very uninformed and in shock, I think. So am I. So we will just have to figure things out together.

I haven't decided how open about things I want to be. I am going into the legal profession and am very interested in politics. I am not normally one to hide these sorts of things to protect my career, I have LDs too and am so extremely open about it that I am the president and founder of an LD club at my school-- my attitude is that though it is valid to fear discrimination in that situation, and I am sure many will discriminate against me, you can't live your whole life in fear and I can't change who I am. That's how I want to feel about autism too, but as hypocritical as it probably is I am not there yet. I am still afraid. My own mother already made comments basically invalidating my opinions just during the screening process because she decided I must have autism and that must mean that I don't have any idea what's going on in the world around me, which is obviously just plain stupid. I have had such a hard time convincing people not to count me out just because of my LDs, and now this.. I just don't know what to think. So at this point, my parents and my older sister know.. my sister's son has HFA too. And my boyfriend. And that's it. I want to tell the members of my club but I am afraid it will just be awkward. I told one of my friends and they said they wished I hadn't and that I shouldn't tell anyone else.

I have run an online support group for psychiatric conditions for the last 10 years or so, so I have quite a fair amount of forum experience of this variety (I also ran a harry potter roleplay forum for a long time-- shh! :p). I am really looking forward to having a new group to join! The members of my boards have been my best friends for the greater portion of my life, and I hope this forum will be as great for me, too.

-- Ruby

Welcome to Aspergic, Ruby! We have a great community here and you'll fit right in.

Don't worry about the whole feeling worried/blank thing, it will pass soon enough as you learn more about it and come to accept it.

Remember - you are still the same person you were before the diagnoses - only now, you have a "label" to describe your uniqueness.   :)

That must be hard :(.
I didn't really tell that many people about it. A couple of people know by accident and most know I have some sort of disorder/disability but don't know what.
TBH, it probably is a good idea to keep quiet since people aren't educated enough about the disorder to understand.
But yeah. Welcome to Aspergic.
Hope things get better for you :).
EMZ=]

Welcome to the forums, Ruby. :)

I don't want to tell my parents in fear of them reacting like yours and being in denial etc, I really don't need that. :( Though at the same time I wish they knew, rather than assuming I'm completely fine.

:wave:

My sister, who has a nine year old with HFA, thinks that they probably reacted the way they did because they feel guilty for not ever noticing anything was wrong with me, even after living with me for 20 years. So I hope it will pass, I am going home for spring break tomorrow. I suspect my mom will just pretend nothing ever happened, which may be worse than ignoring me, but we'll see. At least she's started answering my texts again.

It's awkward because i am SURE my father has it now, worse than I do, but I'd never be able to convince him to consider it.

Welcome to Aspergic!

It must be hard going through what you have described :(

In my opinion, everyone is on the Autistic Spectrum, it's just that a LOT of people have barely any 'symptoms' so there's no point them knowing. To me, it's just a spectrum that all humans are on.

Welkom, Welcome, Fáilte!

I hope you enjoy your stay here at Aspergic.com!
laugh.gif

Welcome to the Aspergic forums. Hope you enjoy your time here.

And I´m shocked about your story! Some people really are stupid. Especially those people who does`t know anything about autism/aspergers and if they only have the basic information of them they easily assume that every person with autism/asperger are the same. We are not. We are also individuals. And in most cases we are more intelligent and smarter in some subjects like mathematics, music, art etc. I myself don`t see autism/asperger as a bad thing, a disease or a mind disorder. I see it more like an ability. You just need to learn how to use it and take advance of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom