• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

medication

I was joking, a bit, about the coffee.
Some people do find it useful, though.

If you have read the material in the SPOILER in post #2,
you'll have seen that Ritalin is a prescription drug.

There's a shortage of a lot of meds in the UK at the moment, including ADHD medications.

Most sites will ask for prescription proof. It's a controlled substance in the UK. It's a Class B drug when it's not prescribed to a patient.

As such, it'll probably be challenging to find a site online willing to sell it without a prescription, as they'd be breaking the law.

NHS, or private diagnosis for ADHD is the route to take.

Joking aside, what tree mentioned about coffee is a suitable, short term alternative many with ADHD will utilise. Especially those wanting a medication free alternative. Plus, long term stimulant use isn't good for you, especially your heart.

Ed

There's a reason why stimulants such as Ritalin are prescription drugs. They should be monitored, both for your own health as well as to limit illegal trafficking.

To underline it: In my country, even I, as a medical doctor, can't just go to a pharmacy and buy methylphenidate (Ritalin), but I need another doctor prescribing it to me, using a special prescription form given out by the national drug agency (or however they're called).

I don't know any serious websites where you could buy it prescription-free. And, please, don't order it off some dubious, illegal website, since that could seriously damage your health - who knows what they might sell you.

If you want to take Ritalin, please see a doctor about it.

I need a Ritalin pill, with a expresso chaser at this age. Then throw in neon signs saying "clean kitchen AND living room in this lifetime".

@Lfgfgg

I would also encourage you to only obtain ritalin through proper channels (with a valid prescription and under the care of a doctor or psychiatrist).

Remember that if you are buying medication illegally, you really have no idea what you are actually getting. You will put yourself in danger physically and legally if you seek this type of medication online without a proper prescription.

Forgive my ignorance--how do people cope taking it regularly? Especially ASD people? Tbh thought many or most of us were hypersensitive to its effects. Guess if you have ADHD then the effect is offset?

E.g. my executive function, drive and motivation is horrible, and there's a case to say I need a chemical system jolt, but even so any sort of stimulant, even strong or espresso coffee, makes me feel like my skin's going to burst and my guts are in knots and my heart's going to explode, so I can't take it. Then again, I'm the type who has to break pills in two and only have half, so perhaps that's just a me-and-my-body problem.

You cannot legally purchase them online without a prescription. In many places, you can't even be prescribed them online. Some places require it be in-person for controlled substances. And choosing to buy these kinds of drugs illegaly is very risky, as studies show that the majority of illegally sold drugs of this nature are not pure and are, therefore, extremely dangerous.

Forgive my ignorance--how do people cope taking it regularly? Especially ASD people? Tbh thought many or most of us were hypersensitive to its effects. Guess if you have ADHD then the effect is offset?

E.g. my executive function, drive and motivation is horrible, and there's a case to say I need a chemical system jolt, but even so any sort of stimulant, even strong or espresso coffee, makes me feel like my skin's going to burst and my guts are in knots and my heart's going to explode, so I can't take it. Then again, I'm the type who has to break pills in two and only have half, so perhaps that's just a me-and-my-body problem.
So different people have different responses, but these stimulants aren't the same as coffee. Caffeine will block adenosine receptors. That's the chemical responsible for sleepiness and relaxation, so blocking it gets you the opposite effect which can also lead to jitters and restlessness. It does have a secondary effect on dopamine which can help with attention and reward, but that's not where it mainly acts. ADHD meds tend to affect the reuptake (i.e. absorption of available) dopamine and norepinephrine . So you have more of these chemicals which promote focus, executive function and limit impulsivity.

I'm waiting for the whole process of getting the latter, but in the meantime I'm enjoying cups of coffee and using L-Theanine to minimise the jitters from the caffeine. YMMV, but it's helps me a bit. It might be placebo, but generally I can tell (and so can my partner) when I forget to take the L-Theanine as my thoughts will be more disorganised and I'll have the personal jukebox playing in my mind all day.

People react to medications in different ways. I have used adderall and ritalin. Both work for me, but I can only tolerate a small dose -- a super tiny dose, and only the immediate release because otherwise I can't sleep.

There are other non-stimulant alternatives that you could try, like atomoxetine and amantadine.

I've tried many things. For years, I refused to take meds, but I wasted a lot of time that way. Find a good doctor and try different things and see if something works for you. It's truly trial and error.

@Lfgfgg Find a doctor. Any online place is not legal, and those drugs are laced with things you don't want to take. Not worth the risk.

There's a shortage of a lot of meds in the UK at the moment, including ADHD medications.
That is a global shortage. I get warnings from my HMO all the time about certain drugs not being quickly available. Some of it is intentional by the government to reduce the amount on the market to fight prescription drug abuse. Some of it is due to supply chain issues from China. That is where most prescription drugs are made. Western countries are slow to spool up local production because that costs money, and if China becomes cheap again, they will lose their investment.

Your previous post the other week queried the same thing. In UK stimulants are a controlled substance. You're not going to get your hands on them without an ADHD diagnosis.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom