• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Retro NES

Riley

My mom and I are trying to start up my new NES retro system. You know, those things that let you play your old NES cartridges? Can anyone tell me how to get it on?

We put the cartridge in right (I think). But the game screen didn't come up.​

Is this a third party version of a NES? The power button on the normal 1985 version should be marked clearly on the front.

Is this a third party version of a NES? The power button on the normal 1985 version should be marked clearly on the front.

nes-classic-edition.png

I assume it's one of these that @Riley means. They're official, and the hot new thing at the moment.

I would check that you do indeed have the cartridge in correctly, wires are connected correctly and then try turning it on again. Also check you've got the TV on the right channel.

The NES is a pain to get to work.

There many people have cartridges that are dirty preventing the system to read the game. If you get cotton swabs, add a little bit a water to clean the cartridge contacts. Then use an dry end of the cotton swab to dry the contacts. Use many cotton swabs until they no longer appear black.

Another issues is the alignment issues. There times you need to jiggle it around until it works.

Old school Nintendos were finicky even when brand new. It has a touchy lockout chip (early DRM) which requires perfect contact with the cart, which is a problem when the slot loading mechanism does a crappy job by design. If your NES blinks black and grey then that means your lockout chip isn't happy. This is a very very common problem with a NES.

Clean your cart contracts worth a qtip dipped in rubbing alcohol. When you have your cart inserted you will need to nudge it around and reset until it works, a lot of carts seem to only work if they're pulled as much towards you as it can go. Blow on the contacts, there's no logical reason why, but it's what we did back in the day and it works. Keep trying.

You can open it up and perform maintenance on the contact mech yourself, which basically means cleaning the contacts, lovingly bend them back in place, and stretching back the spring a bit. Anyone with a screwdriver can do it, look up NES maintenance on YouTube.

Your toaster is 30 years old, she isn't exactly plug and play.

What games you got?

I assume it's one of these that @Riley means. They're official, and the hot new thing at the moment.

That thought did cross my mind but I think they just have games pre loaded on them like the consoles that Sega did. There isn't an cartridge input on them, is there?

That thought did cross my mind but I think they just have games pre loaded on them like the consoles that Sega did. There isn't an cartridge input on them, is there?

Ahh, my bad I misread the original post. It seems like it's some sort of third party thing that you can use NES cartridges in. In which case maybe it's not working because it's not official. I don't know that much about the NES as it's the only console from my lifetime (came out before I was born, but kids had them/SNES when I was in primary school) that I've never owned :(

Is it plugged into an old school glass tube type of television? When you turn it on without a cart inserted, do you get a blinking screen?

For your first question, Tribe: No. I gots one of those Samsung flats.

Second: We got a black screen with the occasional blue-purple line flash when we repeatedly took the cartridge out.

Did you tried to make time to clean the cartridge? If the cartridge is very dirty inside, you will have difficulties.

We just got it today, used. But I'll ask her.

Is it actually a NES? Or is it a third party thing that you can use to play cartridges from a NES? Also even if you got it new today, if the cartridges are original NES ones, they may need a clean.

EDIT: I just saw you did put it's used.

Well, no. It's the latest retro thing.

That gives me no added information at all. Either way, depending on what it is exactly, maybe that's why it isn't working. Or if you bought it used online, maybe the person selling it knew it was janky. Or maybe it just all needs a good clean. Or who knows. Without added information I can add nothing more.

New Threads

Top Bottom