• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Response I received on another site

ASD isn't degenerative in a physical sense like many diseases are which deteriorate the body. However even though autistic people often develop coping skills to get through life (masking, etc) a lot of us older autistic people can testify based on our own personal experience that ASD can be degenerative on a mental and emotional level. Over time, it gets more difficult for a lot of us to function in the workplace, etc. "Autistic Burnout". The amount of mental energy it takes to function in an NT seems to be unsustainable over time for a lot of autistic people.

Thank you for this. I was beginning to consider that I was becoming more autistic as time went on which is something I had not heard of. Glad to know there is a reason for what I am experiencing.

Thank you for this. I was beginning to consider that I was becoming more autistic as time went on which is something I had not heard of. Glad to know there is a reason for what I am experiencing.

No problem, Martha.

I have an analogy for this:

NTs are able to generally float with the current. Human interaction becomes intuitive rather than cognitive and therefore doesn't require a lot of mental energy (ie "float with the current"). Getting through life in an NT dominant world for autistics is like having to swim against the current. Many of us learn how to do that, but years, decades, etc of "swimming against the current" takes a cumulative toll. We eventually get tired (ie mentally, emotionally) and it becomes increasingly difficult to continue "swimming against the current".

Ok. I’ll be curious if you reply, but of course don’t feel you must. I think it might be a better question for myself!

I think what matters to me most in what people say in general conversation is their intention. If I think they mean well or at least aren't trying to put down I won't be offended. With autism, misinformation or lack of knowledge abounds, even with many professionals in the medical community. So I kind of expect lack of understanding. It's not always easy to determine intent, in which case I will probably give the benefit of doubt and watch for more signs of antagonism. It may be more difficult online as you don't have the voice inflection, facial expression or body language to give more clues.

New Threads

Top Bottom