• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relieved to meet people who understand

I started seeing a psychologist this year because of life stresses. I have been helping take care of my mother with Alzheimer's and her 97 year old husband. In January of this year, they both contracted covid. Thankfully they survived but having to care for them became so much more complex and I became thoroughly stressed out - so sought out the emotional help.

I let the psychologist know I have ADHD in case he thought I was fidgity and then gradually talked about sensory symptoms that I have kept to myself and my struggles to appear like everybody else.

Anyway - go figure - I am now told that I am autistic in addition to having ADHD. And - yes - talking to the psychologist does help with the stress of taking care of my folks and - yes - understanding why I have always felt weird is also a big relief. I have always felt inadequate for not accomplishing as much in my life as other people I respected - now I understand that I need to be more kind to myself.

I have always felt inadequate for not accomplishing as much in my life as other people I respected - now I understand that I need to be more kind to myself.

I can relate to this sensation only too well, and it can be crushing.

Feeling understood is a relief. ADHD and Autism are actually quite common co-morbidities. As is anxiety and depression.

It's highly admirable that you are a carer for your mother and her husband. I can only imagine it must be exhausting at times - but you are a good person. As you said - be kind to yourself. That kindness will be projected outward into the world. That in of itself benefits other people, just by your presence.

Ed

I started seeing a psychologist this year because of life stresses. I have been helping take care of my mother with Alzheimer's and her 97 year old husband. In January of this year, they both contracted covid. Thankfully they survived but having to care for them became so much more complex and I became thoroughly stressed out - so sought out the emotional help.

I let the psychologist know I have ADHD in case he thought I was fidgity and then gradually talked about sensory symptoms that I have kept to myself and my struggles to appear like everybody else.

Anyway - go figure - I am now told that I am autistic in addition to having ADHD. And - yes - talking to the psychologist does help with the stress of taking care of my folks and - yes - understanding why I have always felt weird is also a big relief. I have always felt inadequate for not accomplishing as much in my life as other people I respected - now I understand that I need to be more kind to myself.
Being more kind to yourself is hard. I have a bad habit of getting mad at myself for failing when I'm really the only one who thinks that. That one is a hard lesson to learn.
Glad to hear you've found a lot of relief with your psychiatrist!

Welcome! As we're always reminded when flying, you have to help yourself first before you can help others.

Hi and welcome. Wow you are doing great caring for your mum and her husband, being there when they need you. They did well getting through Covid too! It's good that you are here, and have got some help and support.

Hey yes, we do understand! Between everyone here, you probably can't come up with an issue some of us haven't experienced. Especially around communication and social interaction. It's good to understand autism and ADHD better, too, I find, and hear other's ideas and strategies.

:sunflower::herb::mapleleaf::bee::blossom::beetle::sunflower:

Wish I'd known, when I was caring for my mother, who had the worst form of motor neurone disease(her limbs were contorted from paralysis) the mnda nurses had ever seen,but I didn't.

Sensory issues suck. I really have lame sensory issues. I will destroy clothes like pull out elastic or cut of sharp tags.

You are quite a hero. You took care of two older adults with Covid? I don't think many of us here could have done that. That truly is amazing. Great that you also had the wisdom to get help yourself, this is another area a lot of us fail in.

You are a survivor and we welcome you to this forum, and personally look forward to hearing what helps you cope with life!☺☺

Glad you reached a place where you will be understood. Welcome. For some of us this place is kind of indispensable at times.

:)

New Threads

Top Bottom