• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recently Broken or Always been Faulty?

Kevin1968

V.I.P Member
Recently Broken or Always been Faulty? I don't know which I am.

I'm hoping by the time I finish this I will have a better idea.

Am I on the spectrum? probably, everyone is from what I've read, however some are probably blissfully unaware they might be further away from the NT end than they realise.

Why I'm here...

Some harsh words from my boss recently have led to me being here, my job involves fixing machines but along with that I also have to deal with the owners/managers of factories and of course I have colleagues.
Apparently I am too "abrupt", seeing things as black or white and can be difficult to work with, worryingly I was also accused of pushing colleagues aside in my haste to get a job done, not violently but still not a good thing.
However it's not the first time I have been advised to phrase things differently "It's not what you said it's the way you said it"???
I always try to be polite especially with the customers so it was a shock to learn I had completely failed!!

A little history...

Aspergers has crossed my mind a couple of times in the past, I was reproached for not talking at a party, apparently it made others in the group nervous but small talk isn't easy and I was hoping the conversation would get back to something I could talk about..I probably waited too long. I briefly considered it then even mentioned it to my wife but she reacted badly (through fear for me and also not knowing what Aspergers was, I think she might have thought it was fatal), so I put it to the back of my mind and continued with life.

Fast forward some years and I'm out drinking with a colleague, his idea not mine, but you have to be socialable don't you. Anyway after a few pints he proceeds to tell me how I had been rude to someone and how he had to smooth things over.... I broke down crying, not because I had been rude, but because I didn't know it (I've just realised why we never went drinking together since). Anyway one hangover later and it's all buried again.

There are probably other times I've thought of it but back to the present...

I was numb all weekend after my boss reprimanded me (I'm not in any immediate danger of loosing my job, and even if I did I'd manage ok), had a nice quiet weekend watching TV with a couple of glasses of wine.
The Monday morning was harder, fortunately I had a long drive to the job so I was alone for a few hours. I cried a few times on the drive up!!!! What's wrong with me????I got to the job and worked OK, not my usual self, but functioning.
I am working with a new colleague, seems a decent guy and I'm glad we drove up separately (I value my time alone in the van now). The usual pattern when working away is to have a nice dinner and a few social drinks in the hotel bar. All week away and I didn't even have one drink, partly because I want my mind clear to deal with this, partly because I'm terrified I'll loose control and breakdown completely.

I had hoped that by now (more than 10 days since the trigger event) that I would be back to normal...I'm not, tears still leak out (I'm almost 50, I shouldn't be crying as I type this).

I've done a couple of the online tests, they point to me having Aspergers but of course they don't prove anything, but whether it is or not doesn't change the fact that I feel broken.

I have been more or less happily living my life up to now, but now I feel like a method actor, so engrossed in the role that he forgot he was acting but suddenly got distracted and can't remember the lines and get back into character.
Amateur drama is my "social" hobby, and have gained acceptance within the group because my technical skills, lights, sound, photography etc. After much coercion I even acted in a play once, many were surprised I wasn't frightened being onstage, but I also didn't get the thrill from it that everyone else seems to get. Reflecting on this I'm wondering was it easy for me because it was just another performance and instead of playing "Kevin" I was playing someone else (with the added bonus of having all my lines written for me).

I'm starting to think I've always been faulty and that it's my mask that has broken, however it wasn't a perfect mask, I was convinced it was, but no doubt others know better.

As I've indicated the mask has cracked before, but those cracks were quickly covered over. However each time the crack has gotten wider, I'm scared that if I just cover the cracks again the next time it will break completely.

I'm obviously slightly faulty, but the mask I see in the mirror is badly broken. Time to get the glue out?

It's been said to me that I'm always polite here and in other online forums I also seem to get on OK, I think that's because I can read, delete and rewrite the words until I can clarify my meaning. Unfortunately not so easy when speaking.

Can I learn to compensate for my faults, maybe, but it's not as if I haven't tried. I want to though....

And I certainly don't want to feel this way again, but realistic to know better.

(Thank/Blame @LogicalMind for this blog/rant existing, he suggested I do it, but the contents are all mine so thanks for staying awake to the end. Thank you @LogicalMind)

In your thought process, try changing "I am slightly faulty" to "I have challenges, but I can find a way to fix them." See if that opens up some possibilities for you.

Last edited:
In your thought process, try changing "I am slightly faulty" to "I have challenges, but I can find a way to fix them." See if that opens up some possibilities for you.

Maybe if I was trying to explain to someone and wanted it to appear positive to them I would (should??)...but I'm trying to be true to myself, I'd never describe a piece of equipment that needed fixing as "having challenges", but it doesn't mean that I can't find a way of fixing it (or me).

Calling yourself faulty is not being true to yourself.

It's more accurate than saying "I have challenges" and whatever about the long term "challenges" as you like to refer to them, I'm currently faulty I can't think straight, my mind is confused and I'm having episodes of tears. I really don't know exactly what is wrong, but I'm not feeling ok, right now I'm faulty!

My point is that positivity builds on positivity. Negativity builds on negativity. If you would rather dwell on the negative, that's your choice. I'm just saying that there's a better way.

Have you tried seeing a therapist? Even if they aren't really up on autism, they can at least listen to your concerns and maybe give you some suggestions which might help. Sometimes even just having someone you can unload on and be completely honest with can be helpful in itself. Most people don't have that opportunity with friends or family.

My point is that positivity builds on positivity. Negativity builds on negativity. If you would rather dwell on the negative, that's your choice. I'm just saying that there's a better way.

Perhaps this is just a communication issue, you think that I'm being negative in my choice of words, Maybe others do but I don't consider "faulty" is any more negative than "having challenges". I can accept that you see a difference but please understand that I don't.

It's likely that not seeing the difference is one of the "challenges" that I need to overcome when dealing with others, but the words don't make any difference to me, just how I am viewed by others.

Have you tried seeing a therapist? Even if they aren't really up on autism, they can at least listen to your concerns and maybe give you some suggestions which might help. Sometimes even just having someone you can unload on and be completely honest with can be helpful in itself. Most people don't have that opportunity with friends or family.

Not yet...I'm considering it, though I'm not sure how to find one.

Not yet...I'm considering it, though I'm not sure how to find one.
I'm not sure how it works where you are, but here you have to get a referral from your GP. There is a healthcare plan which gives you 5 subsidised visits and a further 5 if required. Are you in the US? Someone else will know what is available there.

Perhaps this is just a communication issue, you think that I'm being negative in my choice of words, Maybe others do but I don't consider "faulty" is any more negative than "having challenges". I can accept that you see a difference but please understand that I don't.

It's likely that not seeing the difference is one of the "challenges" that I need to overcome when dealing with others, but the words don't make any difference to me, just how I am viewed by others.
Faulty implies permanence--that there's no fix. Challenges implies that it's a temporary setback that your working on overcoming.

Faulty implies permanence--that there's no fix. Challenges implies that it's a temporary setback that your working on overcoming.

Sorry Orbit, I don't believe there has to be anything permanent implied or otherwise about "faulty". In fact most of my life I have been fixing faulty equipment, usually there is always a fix. I either need to learn the skills to fix myself or more likely get someone to help me do it.

You are trying to force YOUR definition of words onto my thoughts, perhaps your words would be useful when trying to communicate with others, others who need to hear something more "positive" (what ever that means), but my post is about my feelings not anyone else's.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but no matter what you call a thorn it still hurts.

I'm not going to try to defend positive thinking -- it needs no defense. Nor am I going to try to defend my attempts to support and help you.

Just trying to offer you hope when it appeared you had little.

I'm not going to try to defend positive thinking -- it needs no defense. Nor am I going to try to defend my attempts to support and help you.

Thank you, however it didn't appear to me that you were offering hope or support and your help was misplaced, as i previously stated word choice might be useful when dealing with others, but in my post I wanted to express myself not my mask.

Call yourself what you want :)
You're at the start of a long process.
Learning and accepting the 'real' version of you.

Read a lot and contribute on here. I found it helped me a lot and I'm sure it can help you too.

Thank you, however it didn't appear to me that you were offering hope or support and your help was misplaced, as i previously stated word choice might be useful when dealing with others, but in my post I wanted to express myself not my mask.
Look, I get it. Been there. Done that. Got the Eeyore t-shirt. I've been so caught up in that downward spiral of negative thinking that I didn't even realize I was trapped in it.

Positive thinking (a component of which is visualization) might sound to you like some silly little party trick, some mind game; but, believe me, it works. Positive thoughts breed more positive thoughts. There's a saying from Alcoholics Anonymous that tells you to to "fake it 'til you make it." Another way of putting it is that you have to believe to achieve. Eventually, those positive thoughts start sticking and you start believing it. You considering yourself "faulty" is just a thought in your mind, but it blocks the thoughts that tell you you're not faulty and makes it much, much more difficult to get out of that mode of thinking. Telling yourself that you're NOT faulty, but that you just happen to be in a challenging situation -- well, that breeds positive, optimistic thoughts that spur more positive thoughts -- and positive action. Which of those two scenarios is more likely to produce positive results? I know which one I would pick.

Take for example, Olympic athletes. They visualize themselves breaking that finish line tape in first place many, many times before they ever toe the starting line. By the time they run the race, the one who has visualized (and prepared) the best, is often the winner--or at least right there in the mix and on the podium. Those who think "I'm faulty" time and time again are much less likely to compete for a medal -- or even finish the race.

Take my advice however you will. I don't think it is misplaced at all.

Last edited:
"fake it 'til you make it."....

...... You considering yourself "faulty" is just a thought in your mind,

You really don't understand my post do you.

I think I have been "faking it" or at least that's how it feels. I think I need to face facts and learn how to cope properly, not pretend.

I've already explained my view of "faulty" vs "challenged".

You really are not being helpful despite your intentions.

You really don't understand my post do you.

I think I have been "faking it" or at least that's how it feels. I think I need to face facts and learn how to cope properly, not pretend.

I've already explained my view of "faulty" vs "challenged".

You really are not being helpful despite your intentions.
I'll tell you what. I'll let you be negative toward yourself, but I won't let you be negative toward me. I'm stepping away from this conversation.

New Threads

Top Bottom