• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Realizing This About Job Interviews . . .

Pondering

As someone who is both an introvert and on the spectrum, going to job interviews can feel especially intimidating; you're competing for the same position with who knows how many other neurotypical applicants, all of which have varying strengths and degrees of experience, including satisfactory communication skills. For a long time I felt held by back by the false notion that I had to be both extroverted and neurotypical in order to have the greater advantage. For a long time, I thought 'fake it till you make it', until I realized that's where I was wrong.

Where I initially believed I had to put on a gregarious, expressive facade, seeing a certain eye-opening post made me realized this - being an introvert in itself is a fantastic strength. It can actually facilitate making strong, deep connections with people (including potential employers), and giving out complex, well-thought-out answers that will leave a lasting impression on the person doing the interviewing.

I flipped my weaknesses into my strengths instead. I'm not antisocial, I'm perceptive, observant, and a good-listener. I'm not inflexible, I'm well-prepared, level-headed, organized, and passionate about my work. I'm not a slow learner, I'm thoughtful and a thorough learner.

Even if you are socially awkward . . . even if you stutter a little during your interview and trip over some of your words like I do . . . as long as you know what you are capable of, and as long as they know you are confident in what you have to say - what you can do, what you say you can do, and stand committed to you what you have to say - then there is no reason you can't excel at your next job interview. Thank you for reading my post.

Also, just in case there is any confusion, I have absolutely nothing against people who are neurotypical or extroverted. I post this forum for anyone who might benefit from it.

That said, I have some questions for you now: How do you feel before, during, and after a job interview? What have been some your experiences? How do you cope with nerves? Do you have any tips, recommendations, or suggestions to share that have helped you personally in a job interview setting?

Last edited:
I've never been comfortable with interviews either. I also think I do poorly on them though I keep being told I'm not.

I’ve sat In lots and lots of interviews but only one that really mattered to me (a long time ago)

Up until approx 4 years ago, a job was just a means to and end. (Money)

If I could imagine the sort of person they were looking for, I could be that person.
(For about 6 - 12 months)

I knew I could do the work, and I hadn’t top-dressed my C.V,
the interview was; in my mind, just a formality.

I wonder if it depends what level you’re going into the firm at too.

I’ve sat in more formal interviews with a gang of inquisitors ...
(If you don’t ‘lose it’ after walking into the room and counting how many people are going to be grilling you,
You’ve nailed it.)

and have walked along side a previous aquaintance at a Car Boot Sale on a Sunday morning, chatting and catching up,

By the time we’d reached the gate at the fields exit she told me about a vacant position she had and asked if I’d be interested.
(Easy enough)

If you’re convinced you can do the work and do it well,
Believe in yourself.

Well, you have "seen" me in life, so to speak, via skype and thus, you know how I often come across that certainly gives the wrong impression of me. I talk non stop and in a rush if I feel intimated. Not exactly good for any potential interview lol

As it happens, I finally have learned it is more about being convinced that the job is for you and what you can bring to the firm and the benefits it will ensure for all concerned.

I am surprised, that almost all interviews I have been on, I somehow impressed them enough to want to hire me.

One interview I had, I was told that it was a shame my math was so bad, because they would have hired me straight away.

That said, I have some questions for you now: How do you feel before, during, and after a job interview? What have been some your experiences?
I feel extremely anxious. A kind of derealisation, detachment, depersonalisation, like I'm outside myself. I tend to talk too much simply because I know that I'm supposed to talk, and often say too much, something I shouldn't, repeat myself a lot and over-explain or over-elaborate.

They have job programs for full time jobs and such for people of higher functioning skills. There aren't a lot, but they are around. If you happen to be in the Philly area, send me a PM.

Interviews are hit or misses, it depends on the shadow of the statue outside my door, the amount of m&m's at the bottom of my purse, and how many orange cars go by as l leave my driveway, sometimes l just feel lost, overtalk, undertalk, figet, start analyzing the company, then l realise it just pays bills, who cares.

New Threads

Top Bottom