• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Raspberry Pi and or Python

kicker

Just curious as to who here is interested in the Raspberry Pi and or Python. I picked up both about a month ago and have really taken off with it.

Just interested in hearing if anyone else finds it interesting and if so would like to chat about it. I am a relative newbie with it. Like I said just picked it up a month ago, but have programing knowledge dating back to DOS and floppies. (Real floppies 5.25") (I know I am old :bounce:) and most recently Mobile app development. Would be cool to bump heads with someone on the same page and maybe be a sounding board for each other. Though I warn you before hand (VERY ASPIE about it).

So if you know what an .sh, bash, sudo, OOP, and GPIO are then hit me up!

I love oop!

Not got much time for it at the moment, but have looked at the raspberry pi stuff and put it on my "to do" list of hobbies and interests! So, yep, would really like to chat about it!

Maybe form a special interest group right here on AC? :)

Oh,and yes, I do have an old 5.25 cardboard covered floppy somewhere. Well, I did until I threw my BBC micro in the bin once when I cleared out my junk!

Last edited:
I totally forgot that they were cardboard covered as well. (Being 34 etal dementia kicking in lol)

A user group would be cool. I would suggest getting your hands on a pi. They aren't the microwave sized 512s of yesteryear. Lol. There are so many things you can do with them. With the right idea they can be a great business starter.

What OOP language are you using or familiar with? I know actionscript, coldfusion, some java, and getting into python pretty well (only been doing python for a month but knowing the other two has helped immensely with the learning curve.)

!!

I have used a bit of python and looked at ruby. I decided to bite the bullet and got to grips with apples oop, and for a happy time read oodles about it. I understand the concepts. For me, that means Ive a good idea how to do what I want, I just need time playing with it to get faster and swisher. But, I just haven't the time at the moment. Im setting up my music business, which means programming and photography are on hold at the moment.

I love the ldea behind raspberry pi, and want to play! :Dy

EDIT:- Ive created a group for it!

Last edited:
Fascinating. Didn't even know about Raspberry Pi until I saw it here. I've built my own PCs since 1990. I must say, this looks intriguing. Looking at what's available from Newegg.com...just never built a Linux-based system before.

Last edited:
It's a fun an inexpensive toy. The learning curve is really low. They have several different Linux based opperating systems that you can easily install including one that they call "NOOB" which is Raspbian that makes learning Linux and python really easy. Plus you can add onto it using arduino hardware to it through the GPIO ports and you can even extend on those ports so in theory you could have an unlimited amount of connections as long as you supply the power for them. The pi itself runs off of a 5v 1Amp power supply. Can come with either a single USB port (Model A at 256MB) or 2 USB ports and an Ethernet connection (Model B 512MB).

Check out Raspberry Pi | An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte! for more information and some of the awesome things people are doing with it. Also as you can see above there is a new user group started for it here. Which I would like to see get a lot of interest, because lets face it who better to talk about this stuff and be creative with computers than us aspies. lol.

I have a couple of raspberry pi's. One is pretty much for torrenting, since I pretty much need to take my laptop to school. The other is going to be for another project that I haven't yet started.

Python is a nice language, mainly because it supports pretty much every programming style. Unfortunately, it's a bit slow, mainly because it is interpreted, as opposed to compiled, and I use it in places where that matters. However, Cython can be used to make python run at C speed, although I haven't rigorously tested that.

The whole idea of compiled vs interrupted is just a misconception of what goes on behind the scenes. Anything that is not machine code (100100100101) is interrupted code. And actually last I checked I could be wrong but C doesn't have direct access to JIT it uses a VM which goes through CIL(formerly MSCIL) to get to JIT. PyPy gives python direct access to JIT.

Edited: I'm not arguing or trying to make any statements as to one is better than the other. Each has it's pro's and con's. Nor am I "one upping". I just think it's a personal preference that should be stated as such, because anything that is not machine code needs to be "interrupted" and then speed is dependent on how that is done as well as how well the programmer understands what it happening when the program is ran behind the scenes. I've seen people over complicate code to the point where even on the fastest machines it takes forever to run and others who take the same code and simplify it and it runs in milliseconds.

Last edited:
The whole idea of compiled vs interrupted is just a misconception of what goes on behind the scenes. Anything that is not machine code (100100100101) is interrupted code. And actually last I checked I could be wrong but C doesn't have direct access to JIT it uses a VM which goes through CIL(formerly MSCIL) to get to JIT. PyPy gives python direct access to JIT.

Unless I am mistaken, object files produced by gcc (the compiler I use) are machine code. I think clang uses LLVM, but I'm not a clang user. The stuff that you described seems to be Microsoft specific, and I don't use any Microsoft products/operating systems.

PyPy sounds interesting, but unfortunately, it is not on the supercomputer that I use for research (where using it would actually matter) and hasn't yet reached Debian's large and vast stable repo. Cython is pretty nice though.

Edited: I'm not arguing or trying to make any statements as to one is better than the other. Each has it's pro's and con's. Nor am I "one upping". I just think it's a personal preference that should be stated as such, because anything that is not machine code needs to be "interrupted" and then speed is dependent on how that is done as well as how well the programmer understands what it happening when the program is ran behind the scenes. I've seen people over complicate code to the point where even on the fastest machines it takes forever to run and others who take the same code and simplify it and it runs in milliseconds.

Fair enough. I do want to do a test on some code that I've been writing for my research to see the time differences between Cython code and pure Python code.

@pacman

By the above I mean that I understand we are looking at two different things with unique skill sets and unique points of view. And I hear what you are saying and agree.

I don't have access to a supercomputer, I'm jealous you do.

I am primarily concerned with the commercial project I am working on in which case what I am using is perfect for the time and money I have assigned to invest in it at this point. When I have confirmation that I am not trying to build something in vain (meaning no interest) I will move to something better and invest more into it. (Hardware and software wise) My final plans/idea requires a lot of both time and money, I need to make sure it is worth it. So python is great for right now since I am shooting for a prototype on a commercial device. If I was programming for CERN python would never be my choice.

Before I only worried about the end user applications of code use never worrying to much about hardware or configuration. Such as web and mobile apps. I picked this up a month ago, so give me a moment to catch up before being to critical. I do use a windows system so that is what I have been learning on and apparently focusing a little too much on. Thank you for telling me that. I will need to make this thing dual boot enabled. (Project for tomorrow it's already 9pm here.) So I can mess around with it better. Something I kinda knew I should've done, but didn't see a reason to till now.

It is nice however to know that someone holds an interest in computing to a level I can relate to without feeling like I NEED to explain or over simplify. Hopefully you agree. ;)

... but I didn't know Pythons were vegetarian? Why would they eat a Rassbery Pie?? :bounce:

I remember computers when you printed out programs on a dot matrix printer! Those were the days! :p

I decided to take a look at it because i find python interesting, although i cant really use it for my work as it's mostly java and c++. I think it is great and a useful tool for someone to learn about OOP and I/O. I managed to make a basic robotic arm i can control with it. FYI, i have an interest in EE.

I started learning Python 3.2 because Quick BASIC is rapidly disappearing. It runs on Windows XP but not on more recent versions and the older computers won't always be around so I needed to learn something better. I still have no idea what I am doing, but I quit the day job two years ago and just webmaster by websites now, making enough off the traffic.

I'm currently coteaching a Raspberry Pi class. My husband talked me into it. I'm kind of learning as I go along. Probably not ideal...

It's fun, though. It also gives me something to do other than attempting to brick my phone.

I want one of those Raspberry Pi's :( lol My dad is also crazy about those and I can't wait to start programming things with it. Isn't an Arduino the one where you could program components on a breadboard ? I wanted to try one of out on a cd player XD

New Threads

Top Bottom