• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Randomized depression???

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
I'll just be doing something I love, like Garry's Mod, joining an army of Team Fortress 2 characters fighting the other side, then without any warning, some random sad thought or experience I've had in the past will hit me in the brain, and I just start slowing down, falling like a rock into unnecessary sadness...

Nothing's wrong in my life, except we're in the last battle for Sophia to come home and I'm nervous about it, I have a house, which I prayed for, and I have what I need... but for some reason I have this unnecessary thievish urge to just cover myself in blankets, suffocate my weight in potato chips or something diabetics eat for blood sugar, and quietly, noiselessly pump tears for something completely other-dimensional to my situation, and it pops up at the most random times.

I don't have any suicidal thoughts, it's not that bad, but I will have crying spells when this happens. I remember once I was in a fierce war with depression; I would spend whole days in my room with three blankets over me and a bag of potato chips next to my face, never once moving except to go to the bathroom. My sister would come in some times and do things to make me feel a little better, but I didn't want her to fight a battle she had no business in.

Like I said, I'm not to the point where I feel like I need to be in the BHH, but I don't very much like feeling that heavy, hot-tub-water feeling in my chest when I think of the day of my grandmother's funerary service or my parakeet dying. I'm not on any antidepressants either (I don't think my doctor wants me to be on any either, because she hasn't mentioned them) but I've heard those usually make things worse, so I don't know. A lot of the time, if the random depression is bad enough, I'll find somewhere no one will bother me and just spill it out, pulling myself together after it's over, and I've found that it REALLY helps when it's over; you know how you'll be carrying something twice your body weight and when you finally put it down you know you can catch your breath? It's similar to that.

I hope I'm not the only one with this problem.

No your not. I get bouts of depression all the time more that I am going out more. What helps me is listening to smooth jazz, salsa and binaural beats "ambient".

The last time some random sad thought just made its way into my brain for no reason whatsoever was a few months ago. One day I started thinking about my dog, who I had to put down in January 2017. I allowed myself to think about him for a while, I didn't try to push it away. I felt the sadness for a little while. Then I tried to move on, but for some reason, I just started crying. A couple days ago, I thought about him again. I didn't start crying, but I felt so down for about 20 minutes. I started doing a bunch of stuff to get my mind off it.

There are moments where for absolutely no reason at all, I get extremely sad. I don't know where it comes from, or why it even comes to me. I could be doing something I even mildly enjoy, and then this heavy feeling and shadow come over me. Nothing prompts it. It is sudden, totally unexpected. A couple of brief thoughts cross my mind, "Why am I so sad right now? I feel like nothing will ever be good again."

It doesn't stay very long because when it happens, I start distracting myself with a lot of things to stop feeling so unpleasant. That method usually works fine to snap myself out of it after about 20 minutes.

Millions have the same problem. Medication "usually" making it worse is not something I agree with, and I have just succeeded in refraining from saying something much harsher!

My life is hell without medication, and I thank God pretty much every day that I have it.

I'm not on any antidepressants either (I don't think my doctor wants me to be on any either, because she hasn't mentioned them) but I've heard those usually make things worse, so I don't know.

As a blanket statement, I disagree with medication making things worse. I understand it can be difficult for some people to get the right anti depressant that works for them, but that could be said of other types of medication.

There are reports of anti depressants taking a few weeks or so before any benefit is seen/felt, so it may be that people perceive their mental state as being 'worse' but the reality may be they're no 'worse' but had expectations that were not reasonable.

It's quite common. Depression is a mental illness, like a common cold for a brain. There doesn't always have to be a good reason to get a running nose for weeks - you just suddenly have it. There doesn't have to be a reason to suddenly feel sad when you're ill either. That's just the nature of depression, a cloud that comes and goes. Depression is, overall, random. Sadness with a reason and for a reasonable period of time is not depression, it's natural.

Personally, I find meds helping as long as I take them regularly and for a minimum of four weeks before they kick in, but then my depression before meds was considered severe. It's definitely a step forward from that black hole for me.

OP, i used to do the same thing except not with potato chips. I'm afraid you are suffering needlessly. Next time you see your doctor ask her if she thinks an antidepressant would be appropriate for you. Doctors are busy and we, as patients, need to work with our doctors in partnership in order to get the best care.
I feel so much better taking a small dose of Prozac and I'm the one that had to bring it up to my doctor. He needed my feedback in order to know what i needed.
Ive heard of different side effects of antidepressants, but never heard of anyone feeling worse regarding depression. If that should happen, thats when the doctor will switch you to a different type that works better for you.
i wish you well....

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, when it comes to trying meds. I can honestly say that I haven't had really terrible experiences or effects with any meds that I tried. I think the worst was Strattera, it made me extremely sweaty, thirsty, and it messed up my sleep so bad. I tried to keep up with it because I was told that it would take at least a month to see the positive effects. I did it for 3 months and I gave up.

Zoloft was excellent for me for anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Vyvanse is wonderful for mood stabilization and sleep issues.

Yeah, I love my meds :D

Forgot I am also on Prozac but my doctor reduced it because I was going to burn out suddenly had too much energy so I am down from 40mg to 10mg which is why he put me on 25mg of Seroquel.

Drugs & Medications
Started to work day one. Yes I still sweat buckets in new social environments but once I get comfortable with the people as the Church I attend they are so friendly I stop sweating and even talk a bit. I asked questions that I never would have done before.

I'm so glad I asked! This is the one my doctor suggested, and I was reluctant just because of bad experiences with other anti-psychotics in the past. Maybe I will try it!

I'm so glad I asked! This is the one my doctor suggested, and I was reluctant just because of bad experiences with other anti-psychotics in the past. Maybe I will try it!
Seroquel worked really well for me.

I get these random depression spells too. They usually last for 2 to 3 days and nothing helps for them. But I do this analyzing and over-analyzing thing where I dissect everything to its most basic parts and then put them in little boxes. So after much contemplation I realized that it probably have something to do with the way that I process. I suppress my emotions (hence the "real-life vulcan" part of me) and function on logic and problem-solving. The problem is that even if you suppress your emotions, they don't go away. They are locked down in the basement where your subconscious are fully aware of them. So I get these depression spells where they come at me all at once and then the emotions are overwhelming, so much so that I sleep for 3 days because I cannot function. I've learned to limit these episodes in two ways. I take long walks on the beach and ask myself what is bothering me. Then I run it through my mind, break it down to the facts, ask myself how I feel about it, if there is anything to be done about it etc. When I'm satisfied that I've dealt with whatever it is, I ask myself if it is something significant that needs to be remembered or not. If it is not, I'll discard it from my mind and forget about it. When stuff keeps popping back into your head, it's your subconscious' way of telling you that there is a problem, something is bothering you, deal with it and process it. Once you've done that, it will go away. That's how it works with me in any way. The other way is accepting that I do actually have emotions and I need to allow myself to feel. So I make a point of occasionally doing something that will elicit an emotional response, like read something really funny and watch a hilarious comedy or watch Titanic so that I can find away to cry my eyes out. When it's done, I can go about my normal days, not worrying about getting hit with these episodes at the worse possible times - like in the middle of critical deadlines!

I get like that occassionally, not as much as I used to. I learned that it feeds off itself and nobody can stop it but me. People could tell me to snap out of it but I'd be like what do they know? I could be laying around for days on end. What worked for me is to force myself to go out and do something. Even if I really don't feel like doing anything, do it anyway. Get out of the house and go somewhere peaceful. Just get a chance of scenery. If the weather is bad, stay in the car. After awhile I actually start feeling better.

New Threads

Top Bottom