• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Rainman (1988)" reference used to explain "Autism & Obsessions"

In the DSM, strict adherence to routine is grouped separately from intense, fixated interests (i.e. obsessions). Rainman’s underwear problem was related to the former. If he knew the history of underwear from prehistoric times to the present, all styles and brands, etc., that would be an obsession or intense, fixated interest. His becoming anxious and preoccupied with not having his own underwear came about because of a break in ritual, routine, and sameness. So, in terms of autism, there is a distinct difference.

From the DSM:

2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns or verbal nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat food every day)
3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g, strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interest).
I go along with that, but did note that neither of the DSM definitions use the word obsession. :)

I go along with that, but did note that neither of the DSM definitions use the word obsession. :)

The word "obsession" has a negative connotation to it, so I imagine that's why they don't use it in the DSM. Webster's defines it as "a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling." So yeah, I think the word "obsessions" itself is inaccurate and inappropriate re: autism.

I like the way you stated this in a nonderogtary way. You are helping me understand that part of myself. I think obsession helps when you are actively trying to disconnect from stress or behaviors from other people that don't make sense. It almost turns into a distraction technique to get me off of trying to query myself on why something was said, done, implied, whatever.
I think my neurology is changing I have a feeling and being healed of the OCD as I appear to know and understand what I didn’t understand in the last 45 years I never used to realize that the panic attack was not part of my thinking a few years ago I had a feeling that they were not part of each other I’ve never actually felt good before oh I’m being healed of the panic attacks but it’s not what I thought it would be as usual

The word "obsession" has a negative connotation to it, so I imagine that's why they don't use it in the DSM. Webster's defines it as "a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling." So yeah, I think the word "obsessions" itself is inaccurate and inappropriate re: autism.
none autistic people seem to forget that we are in some respects and part of our neurology the age of a very very young child and a very very young child would perceive an interest in the way that we do so of course they react in the fearful primal way, pigeonhole it into something bad. as the New Testament says take the stick out of your own eye before you remove the twig from somebody else’s

none autistic people seem to forget that we are in some respects and part of our neurology the age of a very very young child

That's a common misrepresentation of us - that we are under developed or child like. It's an inaccurate interpretation.
The natural curiosity of all humans is drummed out of the majority by a society that benefits from our compliance and acceptance of what we are told. We are not as susceptible to such brain washing and thus retain our curiosity, our intense interests and our willingness to question authority into adulthood.
We are not under developed. That part of ourselves is undamaged by the manipulation of outside expectations. It's an important distinction. That curious child is in almost everyone, just excessively repressed.

That's a common misrepresentation of us - that we are under developed or child like. It's an inaccurate interpretation.
The natural curiosity of all humans is drummed out of the majority by a society that benefits from our compliance and acceptance of what we are told. We are not as susceptible to such brain washing and thus retain our curiosity, our intense interests and our willingness to question authority into adulthood.
We are not under developed. That part of ourselves is undamaged by the manipulation of outside expectations. It's an important distinction. That curious child is in almost everyone, just excessively repressed.
disagree

The audience will agree with Charlie's obsession of money and success. Those obsessions are OK.
Actually I was angered that Tom Cruise's character was using someone who was disabled in the fashion he was. At the time I didn't even know I had autism or what it was. Just someone that didn't like seeing people abused because they were different.

New Threads

Top Bottom