• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet places to live

Been guilty of why is the alarm going off in (egads) my car? Dog poo, l did it accidently. My very bad.

This is kind of a tangent.. But sound sensitivity has been coming up a lot, and I'm curious how it works, since it's not one of my sensitivities..

My questions...
Is it just sudden noises that weren't caused by you?
What if you cause the noise and are expecting it?
Does it make things like, mowing the lawn, a torturous/impossible job?
What about other annoying household noises, like the beep of pushing the buttons on a microwave?

This is kind of a tangent.. But sound sensitivity has been coming up a lot, and I'm curious how it works, since it's not one of my sensitivities..

My questions...
What about other annoying household noises, like the beep of pushing the buttons on a microwave?
It seems to be very individual. Personally I can't stand the sound a vacuum cleaner makes. I used to hate it when my sister practiced piano if I was trying to nap, or equally if my mother had visitors who were chatting loudly. Now, I hate it when another car is playing music with huge subwoofer beats playing loudly.

My questions...

Depends on the individual. In my own case, yes any sudden and unsolicited sound can be quite jarring, whether it is on the high or low end of the frequency.

Things I'm anticipating or must deal with on a routine basis, not so difficult. Though landscaper's leaf blowers operating for hours at a time can get to me. As can a neighbor's subwoofer.

It's what I enjoy about being at home in the mornings. Most everyone is at work. :)

Last edited:
I'm really sensitive to car horn remote keyfob honking. Is there anyplace affordable/cheap I should consider to escape this noise? Anyplace with older cars that don't have that, or just areas where most people shut that off?

Oddly enough, other sounds don't bother me: airplanes, ambulances, leaf blowers, etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm guessing it's a startle response for me, I feel like I'm hit, or having a heart attack each time, and no, I won't just get used to it. In my day, it was even frowned upon to honk a horn in NYC unnecessarily.

Obviously non-hurricane/tornado/flooding areas are preferred. I hate snow but I'd prefer that to noise pollution. I'm currently in Albuquerque, NM so a shorter/more local move is better/cheaper, but at this point I'd rather have some peace and quiet wherever it is.
If you have your own transportation, living in the country on a couple acres would probably suit you. I used to live in an old stone house with walls about two feet thick of solid sandstone, sited on a 4 acre lot way out in the country. I loved how extremely quiet that was!

But if you don't have a car, living in the country would be very hard because you'd have to arrange for rides any time you needed to go anywhere, and they don't have buses and they don't have taxis!

It seems to be very individual. Personally I can't stand the sound a vacuum cleaner makes. I used to hate it when my sister practiced piano if I was trying to nap, or equally if my mother had visitors who were chatting loudly.

So, how do you vacuum?

Now, I hate it when another car is playing music with huge subwoofer beats playing loudly.

Lol, does anyone like that noise? :p

My Honda Civic came with a remote key fob to lock or unlock the car. It's not a car alarm, though it works that way if you try to get into the car after remote locking. But brushing against the body of the car doesn't set it off.

Apparently there are 5 different programs that I could elect for the use of my fob. I'm old and my husband is older; and since he has dementia, I'm all about simplifying my life. The default, factory setting was if you click once, the lights flash and doors lock, and if you click twice it honks. I call it "beeping the car." I don't want to change it because you can tell if a door or trunk are open which you might not notice otherwise - if all doors are not closed, no beep will sound so you go back and investigate.

I apologize for any noise sensitivity I am triggering, but old age is a whole different landscape. I could also set up my car for hands-free use of my cell phone, but that would involve reading small print in a manual, and for me, it's just not worth it. For me, it's about going from Point A to Point B, and all those "fancy features" are just a distraction. Sorry!

I use the vacuum, but I hate it. One case where my OCD trumps any autistic sensitivity of sound. :oops:

Thanks for the answers! It must be really tough... :(
I have sensitivity to texture of food, but that's not exactly hard to deal with.. I just say, "I'm not eating that", and we're done.. But, noise is everywhere..
I live on an 80 acre farm.. It's definitely quiet here.. But a lot of my chores are very noisy, like anything involving the tractor, or the chainsaw... I can only imagine the struggle such a sensitivity would be..

Have a dyson, no electrical cord, quiet, three different suction strengths, bagless, no full vacuum cleaner bags to change or buy. It was a gift I bought myself after the hoover whirlpool finally died, and I couldn't find parts any longer. It was definitely worth it. We all have our priorities. ;) And with cats, a good vacuum is one of mine.

Have a dyson, no electrical cord, quiet, three different suction strengths, bagless, no full vacuum cleaner bags to change or buy. It was a gift I bought myself after the hoover whirlpool finally died, and I couldn't find parts any longer. It was definitely worth it. We all have our priorities. ;) And with cats, a good vacuum is one of mine.
The Dyson's were outside my price range, and I wanted a bagged vacuum, because in my experience emptying the dust bin just makes you need to vacuum all over again! But I agree with you about pets requiring a vacuum to clean well.

I passed on a Dyson vacuum dealer for the same reason I passed on an Apple computer.

My Bissell does the job, but agreed I don't have to deal with stubborn pet hair either.

Still, like most of them it makes a lot of noise. :(

The Dyson's were outside my price range, and I wanted a bagged vacuum, because in my experience emptying the dust bin just makes you need to vacuum all over again!

They're varying prices. Finding bags for vacuum cleaners has been in my area difficult and time consuming. And the costs for them go up and up. I usually empty the vacuum cleaner in an outside garbage can.

I can not walk around with the car keys in my pocket. My pockets usually have nuts, bolts, switch's and other small things for me to fiddle with. The car key has buttons on it to lock/unlock the doors and trunk, open the trunk and a red "panic" button that sets off the car alarm. If I have the car keys in my pocket with all that "stuff", the buttons get pushed. Some times it is just a "beep beep", some times the trunk opens and sometimes the car alarm goes off. Then I have to go outside and put the key in the ignition switch to shut it off. It is much easier to just hang the keys up.

s it just sudden noises that weren't caused by you?

It still startles me.
I have a manual grass mower.
Using an electric chainsaw, hedge trimmer, circular saw, table saw, puts me incredibly on edge as I want the noise to stop. Even with ear protection. I'll sometimes use a hand saw instead, or do things by hand rather than using something loud.
Household noises? High pitched beeps? I turn them off seconds before they happen.

New Threads

Top Bottom