• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet places to live

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find housing that is at least a house, possibly farther from the road. I live in a quad type of apt building and cars are parked right outside. Great for bringing groceries in, not so great if a car honks like that, it feels like a car is pulled into my LR and honking. And it's not necessarily these apts, since the apt is so close to the street, it could be any car on the street. It doesn't really matter if it's a dead-end/cul de sac IMO since it's not the traffic/number of cars driving here.

As for questions about the startle response, I never know when it's about to happen. There doesn't seem to be a schedule, and I can't wear headphones 24 hours a day. I have earbuds for when I expect it, but sometimes I'm sleeping when it happens. I can't wear earplugs, it's very painful for me.

And no, lawn mowers don't bother me, I'm not thrilled with vacuuming but ok I guess when necessary for a few minutes. I guess people that don't like vacuum sounds would avoid carpeting? I have a microwave for the summer when it's just too hot to cook but I generally hit one button and shut it off before the end.

As for the keyfob, if you press the lock button and the red button, I think that's what shuts off the sound on most of them. You can still hear it click/lock, and lights flash, so I don't know why anyone wouldn't use this option. And if you're really not sure, check the handle before walking away.

I was also hoping to find out if there was a community that doesn't really allow this type of sound. Kind of like the town in WV that doesn't allow cell phones. Or asperger centric communities. I guess not? Well if nothing else I hope my question raised some awareness of this issue. And I hope some car manufacturer is reading this to stop making cars like this. Thanks!

As for the keyfob, if you press the lock button and the red button, I think that's what shuts off the sound on most of them. You can still hear it click/lock, and lights flash, so I don't know why anyone wouldn't use this option.

I have one reason for you.. I had no idea I could shut it off.. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to find housing that is at least a house, possibly farther from the road. I live in a quad type of apt building and cars are parked right outside. Great for bringing groceries in, not so great if a car honks like that, it feels like a car is pulled into my LR and honking. And it's not necessarily these apts, since the apt is so close to the street, it could be any car on the street. It doesn't really matter if it's a dead-end/cul de sac IMO since it's not the traffic/number of cars driving here.

As for questions about the startle response, I never know when it's about to happen. There doesn't seem to be a schedule, and I can't wear headphones 24 hours a day. I have earbuds for when I expect it, but sometimes I'm sleeping when it happens. I can't wear earplugs, it's very painful for me.

And no, lawn mowers don't bother me, I'm not thrilled with vacuuming but ok I guess when necessary for a few minutes. I guess people that don't like vacuum sounds would avoid carpeting? I have a microwave for the summer when it's just too hot to cook but I generally hit one button and shut it off before the end.

As for the keyfob, if you press the lock button and the red button, I think that's what shuts off the sound on most of them. You can still hear it click/lock, and lights flash, so I don't know why anyone wouldn't use this option. And if you're really not sure, check the handle before walking away.

I was also hoping to find out if there was a community that doesn't really allow this type of sound. Kind of like the town in WV that doesn't allow cell phones. Or asperger centric communities. I guess not? Well if nothing else I hope my question raised some awareness of this issue. And I hope some car manufacturer is reading this to stop making cars like this. Thanks!
there is a car free community in wengen Switzerland It’s high up in the mountains

New Threads

Top Bottom