• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet places to live

Pistachio

I'm really sensitive to car horn remote keyfob honking. Is there anyplace affordable/cheap I should consider to escape this noise? Anyplace with older cars that don't have that, or just areas where most people shut that off?

Oddly enough, other sounds don't bother me: airplanes, ambulances, leaf blowers, etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm guessing it's a startle response for me, I feel like I'm hit, or having a heart attack each time, and no, I won't just get used to it. In my day, it was even frowned upon to honk a horn in NYC unnecessarily.

Obviously non-hurricane/tornado/flooding areas are preferred. I hate snow but I'd prefer that to noise pollution. I'm currently in Albuquerque, NM so a shorter/more local move is better/cheaper, but at this point I'd rather have some peace and quiet wherever it is.

To be honest I have no idea what "car horn remote keyfob honking" is, so I recommend Dorset as it apparently isn't enough of a thing here for me to be aware of it.

I'm really sensitive to car horn remote keyfob honking. Is there anyplace affordable/cheap I should consider to escape this noise? Anyplace with older cars that don't have that, or just areas where most people shut that off?

Oddly enough, other sounds don't bother me: airplanes, ambulances, leaf blowers, etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I'm guessing it's a startle response for me, I feel like I'm hit, or having a heart attack each time, and no, I won't just get used to it. In my day, it was even frowned upon to honk a horn in NYC unnecessarily.

Obviously non-hurricane/tornado/flooding areas are preferred. I hate snow but I'd prefer that to noise pollution. I'm currently in Albuquerque, NM so a shorter/more local move is better/cheaper, but at this point I'd rather have some peace and quiet wherever it is.
Buy silicone earplugs that you make yourself you get a plastic container with two pieces of silicone one is a peachy pink color and the other one is white you mixing together and then put them in your ear until they set It takes about 10 to 20 minutes they are the only ear plugs I’ve ever used that have blocked sound out, I bought them on eBay

I sympathize with you Pistachio. The sound of chainsaws and heavy machinery does a similar thing to me. Unfortunately with snow, come huge thundering snowplows, usually in the middle of the night and they are just as loud but often necessary.

The key fob noises have become quite prevalent in the last few years. Somehow people think it's cool or trendy to have your car alarm system beeping when you turn it on or off. It always startles me. I immediately turned off permanently all noise producers for my car as soon as I figured out how to program it. Except for the car horn. Few people know that you can actually do that. And I often see and hear people in parking lots, attempting to curb their alarm system.

You might look into areas that have housing that's soundproofed, or on dead end streets, or that's further off main roads, highways and away from parking lots or commercial properties. I don't know New Mexico at all, but if it were me, I'd scout out the quietest neighborhoods I could. Think of it as a kind of quest. Otherwise, the New England States and the mountainous areas might be consideration.

Last edited:
Oddly enough I'm reminded of a retiree I once met online who used to complain about pretty much everything involving civilization and all the sensory issues that go with it.

He moved to somewhere quite remote...in the Taos area. In New Mexico I suppose if one looks really hard, they just might find a place to live where there is either an absence or reduction in the normal day-to-day sounds that can be too much for many of us on the spectrum of autism. Of course the downsides of living in places with very little infrastructure matter as well. Trips to a doctor or dentist took a great deal of travel time.

Living where I do, I feel badly for those tenants whose apartment units directly face car parking, where they as well hear my wireless key device "beep" twice every time I park and exit my vehicle. I was very deliberate in choosing my unit's location. One which faces raw desert. Though I still hear other vehicles more often than I'd like as well.

Over the summer I lived in an apartment complex where the parking lot was on the other side of the building from me. It meant I had a long walk to get to my car, but there wasn't any noise from the parking lot in my room.

Yeah, Taos might be a good area, apparently there's a lot of smaller desert lots there that were marked out decades ago by land scammers that can be had for cheap. The area has a lot of survivalists and hippies, people who generally shun much of modern technology. I managed to find a similar area near where I live in northern California. I can't wait to move. No booming car stereos, no small engine noises, no weird noises like the constant screaming by a couple somewhere in my neighborhood who apparently have an unhappy relationship, and did I mention the huge Latino families and their parties with VERY LOUD Mexican folk music? And of course on Independence Day (USA) and New Year's everybody sets off illegal "fireworks" that are more like industrial explosives than fireworks, BOOM BOOM BOOM late into the night. I feel your pain, as do most of us here.

Okay, l have to say Native Indian reservation, quiet, quiet and then some. But extremely windy, only one grocery store, one gas station, two fast food joints, two resturaunts and one small hotel, and one trading post,hair salon, and school and hospital, and police dept., post office. There you have it. Guess it would be somebody's utopia. Good hour and a half from Flagstaff and about 45 mins to Grand Canyon, another quiet place. The Hopi reservation further away was even smaller then this res. (Navajo)

You're not going to be able to completely get away from car remote noises. It's just how cars work now.

Right now I'm on an island where most of the residents are super old and dont exactly DO much. The island is really tiny to the point where there's only one road that runs along the length of it, because there aint room for another. Not much happens here, as you'd expect. But cars still make a sound when their remote is used. You dont hear it very often at all unless it's you doing it, but still. Cars just work that way. So there's no completely getting away from it even in an area as slow-moving as this.

Have you never heard someone come out and press the key fob then beep beep
Nope, as I said all the cars I have had have made a click noise when unlocked. I assumed that was standard. Never noticed the beep noise when with other people as they unlock their cars either.

Huh I just googled it and apparently some cars in America full on honk (as in the car horn goes, not just a quiet beep) when locked. This is not a thing in the UK. It sounds awful, car horns are a horrible noise.

Last edited:
Nope, as I said all the cars I have had have made a click noise when unlocked. I assumed that was standard. Never noticed the beep noise when with other people as they unlock their cars either.

Huh I just googled it and apparently some cars in America full on honk (as in the car horn goes, not just a quiet beep) when locked. This is not a thing in the UK. It sounds awful, car horns are a horrible noise.

Even worse, car alarms in the US usually have a feature where the car horn goes HONKHONKHONK continuously and loudly. The idea is to scare off burglars, but the owners of the cars are constantly setting off their own alarms, then fumbling to use the fob to shut them off as the car goes HONKHONKHONK. The funny thing is, car alarms suck at their intended purpose, just look at US cities with major car breakin problems like San Francisco, the alarms don't do squat, the thieves smash the window and grab literally everything in the car and are gone within minutes.And yes many American cars HONK when the fob locks them.

I just appreciate it that some manufacturers seem to temper the volume of their keyless ignition devices. Mine makes a chirp twice, but it's not very loud either. Enough so I hear it rather than the entire neighborhood.

I still recall Corvettes, whether a mild wind or a dog peeing on the wheels would set their alarms off...and quite loudly. :eek:

I just appreciate it that some manufacturers seem to temper the volume of their keyless ignition devices. Mine makes a chirp twice, but it's not very loud either. Enough so I hear it rather than the entire neighborhood.

I still recall Corvettes, whether a mild wind or a dog peeing on the wheels would set their alarms off...and quite loudly. :eek:

Oh yeah, when I was in HS some girl's parents bought her a brand new 1992 Chevy Camaro, and whenever school got out kids would inevitably brush up against the car and...honking and a computer voice saying stuff like STEP AWAY FROM THE CAR WARNING WARNING. (Yeah, I lived in an area with lots of nouveau riche families.) It got to the point where the kids would deliberately set off the alarm out of spite and lulz.

Take a look at your manuals, you can program through the key fob to turn off all beeping and alarms if you wish to.

Take a look at your manuals, you can program through the key fob to turn off all beeping and alarms if you wish to.

LOL. She's right.

At least for my car...though I have no intention of turning it off or lowering the volume any more than it already is. I like to verify when my car is armed. Force of habit considering I once had a car stolen and never recovered.

Though long ago I have programmed the amount of time it takes to arm itself once you exit the vehicle.

https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2018/mazda3/contents/04030103.html

I've heard the honking noise it happens something hits the vehicle

New Threads

Top Bottom