• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet by choice.

When I was a teenager and young adult during my antisocial years I was so quiet. Actually I was so quiet I use to run away from people especially girls which I still do in public places.

Otherwise now I am quiet like a ghost around people I don't know especially out in public places. But when I am with my Church friends I am often a chatterbox. Last nights life group I was talking quite a bit.

Skeletor, is this also you?

Me isolating myself even after quarantine end meme - MemeZila.com

Me-isolating-myself-even-after-quarantine-end-meme-3492.png

Me-isolating-myself-even-after-quarantine-end-meme-3492

Lol Skeletor rides a giant purple panther as an answer to He Mans Battle Cat. It got little play on the original 80s cartoon but the toy is awesome. I still have mine.

Hero, I also have the volume control issue. People say I talk too loud esp when making a point.
I have a volume control too. In my case, I often speak too quietly. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble over the years (especially at a job where I needed to talk at a normal volume)

Talked to my friend Manna on the phone the other day since struggling with Maskaphobia and I talked so much I hope I did not offend her as she could not always get the words in. So her I can talk to but a random girl I don't know I am a statue and whisper quiet.

Come to think of it, volume-wise I'm very quiet. If I have to suddenly respond to someone when I wasn't expecting to (like thanking someone for holding the door) then I sometimes make no sound at all, even though my lips moved and everything. I never have a problem being too loud, but I'm frequently too quiet.

I get negativity from being too quiet and being too talkative,...just depends upon the situation. As a baseline, I prefer to be silent. I have a difficult time with group conversation, so I sit and listen most of the time,...and when I do say something, it is like I am interrupting and saying something that I shouldn't. There are times when you do engage me one-on-one, but there too, it's like opening up all the knowledge on the internet on that topic,...I get "that look" and the other person is politely trying to run away from me.

I have Aspergers, and as such I did not have any of the speech development issues seen in other forms of autism. I met my
milestones on time, have no trouble verbally, and have even been told that I am an outstanding public
speaker. However, I usually am very
quiet by choice. I hoard words like they are being rationed one person told me. To people also on the Aspie
end of the spectrum I'm wondering if
you are the same.

When you say public speaking, do you mean standing in front of a large group of people? If so I struggle with that and believe it's common for everyone aspie or not.

New Threads

Top Bottom