• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quiet by choice.

Skeletor

I have Aspergers, and as such I did not have any of the speech development issues seen in other forms of autism. I met my milestones on time, have no trouble verbally, and have even been told that I am an outstanding public speaker. However, I usually am very quiet by choice. I hoard words like they are being rationed one person told me. To people also on the Aspie end of the spectrum I'm wondering if you are the same.

I tend to prefer to be quiet. I too have a way with words, but I'm usually observing people and their conversations, rather than joining in.

Whilst I'm quiet by choice, when my mood is bad, I find I'm adept at going out of my way to avoid talking to people entirely.

Ed

I talk everyone's head off. I see the wisdom in being quiet...heck, I genuinely believe that it's the better way to be. But I can't manage it for the life of me, am a chronic chatterbox with a tendency to overshare.

I am also a quiet person, but I do not think that is by choice. It is just the way that I am. If I do not have anything to say, then I do not say anything.

In R/L offline I have to be comfortable with people to get really talkative. Otherwise at times I may seem like one of those "potted plants" who never says a thing, but is always deep in thought over something.

I have Aspergers, and as such I did not have any of the speech development issues seen in other forms of autism. I met my milestones on time, have no trouble verbally, and have even been told that I am an outstanding public speaker. However, I usually am very quiet by choice. I hoard words like they are being rationed one person told me. To people also on the Aspie end of the spectrum I'm wondering if you are the same.
Like you, I try to be succinct. The difference (or maybe not) is that I try to use the word which precisely specifies what I am saying, rather than use a more imprecise generic word. I find it more efficient this way. If a listener has insufficient vocabulary, I consider it their problem, not mine, and their responsibility to ask clarifying questions.

Like Judge, I prefer to not talk at all.

According to my parents I talked early/on time and have always had a big vocabulary, so I don't have any issues picking up on language. Despite that I do prefer to be quiet, even around people I know well. It's more because I'm not sure of what to say and I can't control my volume well, so I just don't bother talking often.

I tend to prefer to be quiet. I too have a way with words, but I'm usually observing people and their conversations, rather than joining in.

Whilst I'm quiet by choice, when my mood is bad, I find I'm adept at going out of my way to avoid talking to people

entirely.

Ed
I also have the very quiet when in a bad mood thing.

l have to work on my tone. I don't pay attention to it. l also learned to shut- up because of mr kool. He hates blah blah blah.

I am quiet and prefer to observe in social situations. However over the years I gained skills and confidence as a trainer and so can be effective in a training role, within my sphere of knowledge.

I talk talk talk, about how things need to be (black and white thinking) what people should do ( but hey not me right) and about all things my perspective, not surprisingly I annoy/ upset people on a regular basis my lack of others perspective annoys others and myself on a regular basic, oh the joy it may be on being an observant non reactive individual, I try and try and fail and fail ( excuse my rants it’s been a hard day).

When I was little I had minor setbacks, probably due to being hard of hearing and having my mouth wired shut for a while when I was very young.

I was apparently pretty talkative when I was little, but not now. I can talk a lot when I'm excited about something, but for the most part I'm very quiet and kind of detached from everyone else. Talking can be tiring, and can require a lot of effort sometimes. Especially when I'm already tired or overwhelmed (like sensory overload).

I don't know where I fall. It has changed over the years. I used to be quiet, then chattered away, and now try very hard to get that middle ground. I am glad for the masks we all must wear now because I can let my face just relax. It feels so good.

Yep. In committees and groups, I'm the one who will sit through entire meetings without saying anything, aside from giving a pointer or two on procedure. But when I do say something, it's usually pretty deep.

I can get very talkative at times around people I'm comfortable with, and talk way too much. But most the time I'm quiet - I don't like to talk. I realized recently that one of the reasons I get so tired babysitting grandkids is that I'm constantly having to talk. "Get down from there, I'll have your milk in a minute, you need to go potty, don't hit your sister....etc etc" It's quite exhausting.

I'm quiet most of the time.
My house share partner sometimes asks if I'm deep in thought about something.
I tell him I'm always in thought about something. My thoughts are like a run away train,
but, my mouth isn't.

Just prefer not to talk unless it is a necessity.

I'm not much of a talker. Talking isn't really my thing, and I don't talk unless I have something worth saying. I can hold a conversation with someone one to one if I'm expecting the conversation, but I rarely join in group conversations. I'm just not able to.

For me this is especially true in times of trouble. Whereas most other people will want to reach out to a friend or family member to discuss life's problems, I keep it all inside. Unfortunately, this is now hurting my relationship with my wife. While I have always had the habit of keeping everything, including any problems with which I was dealing, to myself, it is not conducive to a relationship.

Another thing is that I am very careful with my word choices. I think a lot of people on the spectrum are. This may also be why I sometimes stay silent. If the right words aren't there, or if I don't know what to say, I say nothing. However, I am also known to give speeches on certain things. If we visit a museum or a zoo, I will go on and on about various scientific facts. Other topics like classical literature and chess will also cause me to go into lecture mode.

New Threads

Top Bottom