• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Quick advice appreciated

I thought “fitted socks” just meant socks that are shaped to be snug on the foot, as opposed to something like tube socks....does it mean something else?

You are exactly right tortoise. Fitted socks are the exact sock for your foot size, harder to find now, but if your shoe size is an eight, then a size 7 or 8 sock is appropriate. They do not twist like a tube sock or other slippery materials that they make them from these days.

You are exactly right tortoise. Fitted socks are the exact sock for your foot size, harder to find now, but if your shoe size is an eight, then a size 7 or 8 sock is appropriate. They do not twist like a tube sock or other slippery materials that they make them from these days.
Ah, okay.

I didn’t understand exactly - I didn’t assume that much size specificity (like I would have counted various size 9-12 socks as “fitted socks”) just more shaping of the sock to foot shape.

maybe that's the problem - if there were no heel, it wouldn't matter if they twisted around. Feet bags is maybe what I need to look for.

I have several pairs of hand knitted socks that an older friend made for me. When she retired I bought her wool all the time for patients at the hospital she nursed at. She could knit two pairs per day. And often made me a pair for birthdays and holidays. They fit my feet perfectly and I wash them gently so they'll last a really long time.

Last edited:
I didn’t understand exactly - I didn’t assume that much size specificity (like I would have counted various size 9-12 socks as “fitted socks”) just more shaping of the sock to foot shape.

You may still go to one or two stores, and purchase a size eight pair of socks specifically. Usually in the men's section of some of the older department stores. They would then fit well, as now they have general stretchy socks that fit three or more sizes. It was not that way in the past.

maxresdefault.jpg

Serious guys. How do you keep your socks from twisting??? It's especially hard when wearing socks with a pair of those soft thick house socks over them cause it's cold. Then it becomes a double challenge.
I'd hate to be an octopus.
try to find socks with a very tight grip on the seam ,you might have very slim feet like me,Also make sure you have shoes that have elastic in them to grip your feet ,especially for women our shoe size changes as we lose water and gain water,Try socks size one usually for a 13 to 16-year-old ,they might fit more accurately ,it might be an idea to not wear cotton socks They just don’t have the grip,I find trainer Socks are better

maybe that's the problem - if there were no heel, it wouldn't matter if they twisted around. Feet bags is maybe what I need to look for.
No I tried carrier bags it doesn’t work They still twist ,women’s tights are exactly the same they are a torment

On the rare occasion I wear anything more than ankle high (Like the Ultra Soft diabetic socks I wear in winter) I fold them down to prevent that discomfort.

No I tried carrier bags it doesn’t work They still twist ,women’s tights are exactly the same they are a torment
I wear bicycle tights when it's cold out to stop the skin crawling sensation I get. They are a PITA to put on.

The longer the first layer of socks is, the less they can twist. Cotton is better than other fabrics, it gains moisture from the air and is heavier and sticks to the skin kinda like rubber, can hold tight too rather than soft lightweight fabrics that are slippery and shifty. Tucking pants in the socks helps. How well they fit the foot matters, potentially even how elastic and snug the fabric all around is.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom