• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Questioning myself if I am able to learn

Oz67

Am I still able to learn? I meet 6 out of 9 diagnostic criteria for Intellectual Developmental disorder, but I learn 20 times slower. I sometimes don't learn until the police is involved and when I am mentally unstable, but I still learn.

I have severe problems with social-emotional reciprocity, learning from experience, academics, problem solving, and have milder problems with adaptive functioning.

I don't meet diagnostic criteria for:

* Low IQ
* Being illogical
* Severe problems with learning.

I am very intelligent in some specific areas of my restricted interests, I only meet at least 6 diagnostic criteria for Intellectual Developmental Disorder.

Oren,...seriously,...as a friend,...you really need to stop being so hard on yourself. You seem to be spending way too much time analyzing yourself and then posting your concerns. Relax.

Of course you can learn. Clearly, you can read and interpret and write,...and intellectually,...however, somewhat misguided in some respects, you are quite introspective and are concerned about what others think of you.

Step back from the computer, go out and enjoy the sunshine my brother. ;)

I am sorry that I am hard on myself, I am suffering from depression, because other former classmates called me "Stupid", "Loser" and "Idiot " for having history of developmental delay.

Some people call me "Retarded" or "Retard" for not learning on time for my chronicle age.

I am sorry that I am hard on myself, I am suffering from depression, because other former classmates called me "Stupid", "Loser" and "Idiot " for having history of developmental delay.

Some people call me "Retarded" or "Retard" for not learning on time for my chronicle age.

I don't think you're depressed because they called you those names. I think you're depressed because you believed it.

Depression can cause you to learn more slowly.

I don't think you're depressed because they called you those names. I think you're depressed because you believed it.

Depression can cause you to learn more slowly.

Can you explain more what you mean? Those names they called me, it damaged me as well.

Last edited:
Can you explain more what you mean, those names they called me, it damage me as well.
I used to feel depressed when people said negative things about me because I believed what they said was true which made me feel like I didn't belong. After I realized that what they said wasn't true, it doesn't affect me as much.

I used to feel depressed when people said negative things about me because I believed what they said was true which made me feel like I didn't belong. After I realized that what they said wasn't true, it doesn't affect me as much.

That does make sense.

I wholeheartedly agree. The first thing I learned to do when regaining my agency was to stop listening to peoples comments about me and letting that interfere with my self concept.

I wholeheartedly agree. The first thing I learned to do when regaining my agency was to stop listening to peoples comments about me and letting that interfere with my self concept.

I need help and therapy as well, but I can learn how to ignore and be less
paranoid.

New Threads

Top Bottom