• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question about personality disorders and mania

Oz67

Can bipolar and related disorder turn into a personality disorder with mania if it does not get treated right away?

I feel like I have personality changes and not friendly as I was before and have anger issues, because I did not get enough sleep. I don't mean to sound like I have a personality disorder, but it is related to severe mania, and I sometimes am delusional and mentally unstable, and sometimes have milder form of dissociative fugue.

I am scared and ashamed of myself! I don't want to stay like that forever.

I was so socially avoidant as a teen and young adult that the therapist who diagnosed my ASD said I was expressing Schizotypal PD. That did not last.

The thing about younger years is that everything feels intensified. It's like we wear all of our emotions outside of us. We react and react, and we micro analyze ourself because we feel everyone around us is so critical. But in reality, most people don't know we exist, because they are so bothered with their own existence. So l feel that your need to be overly critical maybe due to younger age. Have you hit 25 yet? Things seemed to quiet down by that age like my inner critical dialog. And mental health professionals now listen very carefully to a younger age group who are prone to feeling depressed about selves and they now take this very seriously.

Now my dialog is more, why did you wipe out the box of crackers, don't you think the car needs a wash? When l was early 20's, it's why are you so emotional?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about forming a personality disorder, if that were to happen you would already know. I have ADHD and ASD with that I can say after I decided a couple years back to self isolate in a big way. I got and still get mania and social anxiety even though I am great at speaking in public. I have bipolar depression too. From what I understand personality disorders are typically diagnosed either before are with an autism diagnoses? I could be wrong. But a lot of symptoms with autism such as self harm is easily diagnosed to be a depressive episode when in reality its a "melt down". To me its when my sensory and neurons go bezerk and I gotta find a quiet place or find ear plugs asap. Then its a manic panic attack in the worst way. I have a sensitive sense of smell and hearing.

The thing about younger years is that everything feels intensified. It's like we wear all of our emotions outside of us. We react and react, and we micro analyze ourself because we feel everyone around us is so critical. But in reality, most people don't know we exist, because they are so bothered with their own existence. So l feel that your need to be overly critical maybe due to younger age. Have you hit 25 yet? Things seemed to quiet down by that age like my inner critical dialog. And mental health professionals now listen very carefully to a younger age group who are prone to feeling depressed about selves and they now take this very seriously.

Now my dialog is more, why did you wipe out the box of crackers, don't you think the car needs a wash? When l was early 20's, it's why are you so emotional?

No, I am 21 years old still.

Understand. You still are in that stage of discovery. Your brain will quiet down some as you age. Lol.

But staying busy, learning about things is excellent.

New Threads

Top Bottom