• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

PTSD and Asperger

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, as well as my 7 year old daughter.

About 8 months ago, my best friend, a retired army vet with PTSD, and I decided to start a committed relationship. We have since moved in together, once we talked to my daughter about the potential change and received an excited affirmative.

Things haven't been terrible, until recently. I've been allowing him to issue punishments when she acts out toward him. At first, we stuck with taking things away. Toys, privileges, luxuries. More recently, he's started putting her in time-out on the wall, with my whole-hearted approval. After all, she's not being abused and it worked at first.

Now, though, she acts out the entire time she has to be on the wall, which earns her more time on the wall. The manner in which she acts out frustrates him, she is very rude and obnoxious and just aggressive.

I'm at my wits end trying to decide what to do. I have tried every punishment I can think of, have even tried a reward system. She just gets more belligerent by the day.

She is on medication to help her rest and one to help her focus for school. She also has a therapist that we see regularly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

That's a tough situation. Do you think his PTSD has anything to do with the relationship issue with your daughter? Does your daughter get much "positive" time with your boyfriend? "Good enough" parenting doesn't require perfection, but it does require a strong, affirmational bond that exceeds the negative effects of our failures as parents.

That's a tough situation. Do you think his PTSD has anything to do with the relationship issue with your daughter? Does your daughter get much "positive" time with your boyfriend? "Good enough" parenting doesn't require perfection, but it does require a strong, affirmational bond that exceeds the negative effects of our failures as parents.
Thank you for your kind and timely post. We have lots of time, as he's a disabled vet and I've been unable to work for 2 years now. We do board and tabletop games, movies and meal together. Chores are mostly a group effort. He takes her to the store with him, as well as to the park. I feel that they've had some good experiences, though I know her ADHD and inability to be quiet for any stretch of time grates on his tolerance and patience.

Okay, well, I'm not a therapist or anything, but I have 4 kids (ages 4-12), PTSD, and AS...so, let's see if I can throw out a couple of thoughts that might help. Take what resonates and ditch the rest.

One of my kids is currently 7, and he has several aspie traits. I can say that it is difficult to really connect on a deep level with a 7yo, but what your SO is doing to take her with him to places is a huge plus. The key at that age is to clue in on what the kid is most interested in, and try to participate in that some way.

All the kid noise and activity and all that really grates on my nerves, too, so my DH is awesome about handling the routine stuff, which gives me more energy for really focusing on the kids when I can manage it well enough. (That doesn't mean I ignore them most of the time, but DH does make sure I get plenty of alone time so that the time with the kids is more enjoyable for all of us.) Admittedly, that's not as often right now as I'd like but we're working on it.

So, usually when there's a problem with a kid that young (barring any severe disabilities), the problem has more to do with the parents' approach to parenting that particular child (because each child needs a unique parenting approach) than something inherent to the kid. Not that you're doing anything wrong, per se, but that there's plenty of space for you to grow and improve...which is a good thing, because that gives you options.

Consider your family of origin background...what kinds of problems did you inherit from your own family? What kinds of patterns might be subconsciously repeating themselves in your behavior and attitudes now? Take ownership of those issues and tackle them. My family was (and is) severely enmeshed and codependent, so I'm reading lots of books on boundaries (Boundaries and Boundaries with Kids are both great!). A big problem for me is learning how to value my growth process, which makes it difficult for me to accept my children's mistakes during their own growth journeys. So I read books and am getting therapy to help me take ownership of my own issues while learning to accept myself as a very imperfect person. As I grow and become healthier, my kids benefit greatly!

So what areas might you or your SO need to pursue personal growth? Get books from the library, research online...it doesn't have to cost anything to address these issues.

PTSD creates a very on-edge frame of mind most of the time. That can be difficult when living in the same house with a young child (or four). Just like you with your AS, he also needs his own space and time...a place in the house that is a kid-free zone where he can go when he's feeling overwhelmed. It's also helpful for your daughter to have some independent activities--things she can do on her own to entertain herself when the adults in the house are overwhelmed, as well as activities that are specifically hers, like a gymnastics class or dance class...somewhere she can be with other kids and explore her passions. Even at her young age, these kinds of activities give her something outside the home to focus on.

Now, all of that said, she might have her own issues that interfere with having an easy relationship with her. Just remember that at her age, she's not purposely being rebellious, not like a teenager who is ten years older. She is very immature emotionally and, to the best of her understanding and ability, is doing what she feels like she needs to do in order to protect her inner core--not that you or your SO is mistreating her, but that she perceives that her self is not being protected. For my kids, we don't typically punish them in ways that are visible to others in the household. We give them more privacy, which helps them maintain their dignity better. We avoid any kind of shame-based punishment as much as possible. So maybe your daughter needs a different form of punishment? For my kids, sending them to their rooms--not because they're in trouble but to give everyone space to calm down--works better than a more public time-out. That gives them private space to sift through their feelings without offending anyone else in the household. They can come out whenever they've calmed down and ready to act civilly again, so that gives them some control over the situation--even the 4 yo gets to choose when he feels he's ready to behave nicely again (and if he comes out and starts acting up again, we just send him back to his room). Then we come back together and talk about the issue together. "Do you know why you got in trouble?" "How can you handle it better next time?"

I think most kids around this age (6-8 years old) go through an emotional roller coaster experience of sorts. Their emotional selves are becoming more aware of their environment and their lack of control in certain situations. My 7 yo is very easily frustrated. My older kids went through this same stage at this age. A lot of it is just a matter of explaining over and over, every time, how letting your emotions get the best of you doesn't solve the problem. They're not going to hear you the first time you explain this fact of life, or the 2nd or 20th times. But eventually it does start to sink in, a little at a time. Just keep explaining it. Like a postpartum woman, or a teenage boy, or a person going through a mid-life crisis...there are things happening beneath the surface, hormones and other physiological changes, that we just really don't have control over. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be held accountable for our actions, but it helps to have people around us who are patient and understanding while still being firm.

Be careful to make sure she knows that she is not responsible for your or your SO's emotional struggles. That's what starts to cause damage, when she internalizes the disruptions around her that she has no control over. Help her understand the difference between what parts she's responsible for, and what parts you're responsible for. That will help so, soooo much.

Okay, well, I'm not a therapist or anything, but I have 4 kids (ages 4-12), PTSD, and AS...so, let's see if I can throw out a couple of thoughts that might help. Take what resonates and ditch the rest.

One of my kids is currently 7, and he has several aspie traits. I can say that it is difficult to really connect on a deep level with a 7yo, but what your SO is doing to take her with him to places is a huge plus. The key at that age is to clue in on what the kid is most interested in, and try to participate in that some way.

All the kid noise and activity and all that really grates on my nerves, too, so my DH is awesome about handling the routine stuff, which gives me more energy for really focusing on the kids when I can manage it well enough. (That doesn't mean I ignore them most of the time, but DH does make sure I get plenty of alone time so that the time with the kids is more enjoyable for all of us.) Admittedly, that's not as often right now as I'd like but we're working on it.

So, usually when there's a problem with a kid that young (barring any severe disabilities), the problem has more to do with the parents' approach to parenting that particular child (because each child needs a unique parenting approach) than something inherent to the kid. Not that you're doing anything wrong, per se, but that there's plenty of space for you to grow and improve...which is a good thing, because that gives you options.

Consider your family of origin background...what kinds of problems did you inherit from your own family? What kinds of patterns might be subconsciously repeating themselves in your behavior and attitudes now? Take ownership of those issues and tackle them. My family was (and is) severely enmeshed and codependent, so I'm reading lots of books on boundaries (Boundaries and Boundaries with Kids are both great!). A big problem for me is learning how to value my growth process, which makes it difficult for me to accept my children's mistakes during their own growth journeys. So I read books and am getting therapy to help me take ownership of my own issues while learning to accept myself as a very imperfect person. As I grow and become healthier, my kids benefit greatly!

So what areas might you or your SO need to pursue personal growth? Get books from the library, research online...it doesn't have to cost anything to address these issues.

PTSD creates a very on-edge frame of mind most of the time. That can be difficult when living in the same house with a young child (or four). Just like you with your AS, he also needs his own space and time...a place in the house that is a kid-free zone where he can go when he's feeling overwhelmed. It's also helpful for your daughter to have some independent activities--things she can do on her own to entertain herself when the adults in the house are overwhelmed, as well as activities that are specifically hers, like a gymnastics class or dance class...somewhere she can be with other kids and explore her passions. Even at her young age, these kinds of activities give her something outside the home to focus on.

Now, all of that said, she might have her own issues that interfere with having an easy relationship with her. Just remember that at her age, she's not purposely being rebellious, not like a teenager who is ten years older. She is very immature emotionally and, to the best of her understanding and ability, is doing what she feels like she needs to do in order to protect her inner core--not that you or your SO is mistreating her, but that she perceives that her self is not being protected. For my kids, we don't typically punish them in ways that are visible to others in the household. We give them more privacy, which helps them maintain their dignity better. We avoid any kind of shame-based punishment as much as possible. So maybe your daughter needs a different form of punishment? For my kids, sending them to their rooms--not because they're in trouble but to give everyone space to calm down--works better than a more public time-out. That gives them private space to sift through their feelings without offending anyone else in the household. They can come out whenever they've calmed down and ready to act civilly again, so that gives them some control over the situation--even the 4 yo gets to choose when he feels he's ready to behave nicely again (and if he comes out and starts acting up again, we just send him back to his room). Then we come back together and talk about the issue together. "Do you know why you got in trouble?" "How can you handle it better next time?"

I think most kids around this age (6-8 years old) go through an emotional roller coaster experience of sorts. Their emotional selves are becoming more aware of their environment and their lack of control in certain situations. My 7 yo is very easily frustrated. My older kids went through this same stage at this age. A lot of it is just a matter of explaining over and over, every time, how letting your emotions get the best of you doesn't solve the problem. They're not going to hear you the first time you explain this fact of life, or the 2nd or 20th times. But eventually it does start to sink in, a little at a time. Just keep explaining it. Like a postpartum woman, or a teenage boy, or a person going through a mid-life crisis...there are things happening beneath the surface, hormones and other physiological changes, that we just really don't have control over. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be held accountable for our actions, but it helps to have people around us who are patient and understanding while still being firm.

Be careful to make sure she knows that she is not responsible for your or your SO's emotional struggles. That's what starts to cause damage, when she internalizes the disruptions around her that she has no control over. Help her understand the difference between what parts she's responsible for, and what parts you're responsible for. That will help so, soooo much.
That was a lovely answer. And my child does have a lot on her plate, as well as having been through a lot for someone so young. She has 2 families: my SO and me, and her dad, his wife, and her daughter who's a year older than she.

She deals with a lot between the respective households. She sees a lot of behaviors and habits she shouldn't see. I strive to recognize when something I'm doing may be setting an unhealthy example for her and correct it within myself and encourage her to use what we've taught her so far. I don't, however, have any control over the children available for friendships in our area and their behaviors. Nor do I have any control over the negativity and bad habits displayed prominently in her other family's household.

I simply expect her to use her basic manners, not get aggressive when spoken to about something she doesn't want to hear, and accept the consequences for the actions she chooses to take.

Maybe I'm expecting too much of someone who's led a far from normal life thus far??

Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, as well as my 7 year old daughter.

About 8 months ago, my best friend, a retired army vet with PTSD, and I decided to start a committed relationship. We have since moved in together, once we talked to my daughter about the potential change and received an excited affirmative.

Things haven't been terrible, until recently. I've been allowing him to issue punishments when she acts out toward him. At first, we stuck with taking things away. Toys, privileges, luxuries. More recently, he's started putting her in time-out on the wall, with my whole-hearted approval. After all, she's not being abused and it worked at first.

Now, though, she acts out the entire time she has to be on the wall, which earns her more time on the wall. The manner in which she acts out frustrates him, she is very rude and obnoxious and just aggressive.

I'm at my wits end trying to decide what to do. I have tried every punishment I can think of, have even tried a reward system. She just gets more belligerent by the day.

She is on medication to help her rest and one to help her focus for school. She also has a therapist that we see regularly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I'm sorry. I'm just hurting tonight. I'm an empath, and it's really hard to block these emotions, especially of people you really love and care about. I'm off to solitude and then bed. Thanks again for all your support and ideas.

I simply expect her to use her basic manners, not get aggressive when spoken to about something she doesn't want to hear, and accept the consequences for the actions she chooses to take.

Sounds like everyone is facing a difficult time. That's not easy on any of you. My parents divorced when I was 7...it was much harder than I had the wherewithal to realize at that time. The repercussions continue even today (I'm now 41).

I don't think your expectations are unreasonable in the sense that these are healthy and good standards to shoot for. But she's not going to meet them. Even a "normally functioning" 7 yo from a much more stable family background isn't going to meet them (that's how we know the challenge level is appropriate--it's a little bit more than what he can actually do on his own). So you can relieve the stress for both of you simply by defining clearly what the consequences are when she fails (because she will). The consequences aren't even necessarily something she has to "accept"...just, "this is what happens when you do this, whether you like it or not." Try to find some consistency, so it doesn't feel to her as if you're just trying to "get back" at her. If she knows ahead of time that yelling at your SO results in no TV time that night (or the loss of something valuable to her--so long as it's the same thing every time), it won't feel so much like "he's just being mean" and will become more evident to her that she has control over which consequences she experiences.

You might have done a lot of this already. It sounds like you're pretty self-aware with all of this. Some of it is just recognizing that the journey is not going to be easy with all of these issues involved. Keep pursuing growth, for yourself and your daughter. Recognize you can't control her, only train her and guide her. And you're a real person in all of this, too. You have needs, too. You can't meet her needs if you're not getting your needs met. That's not license to walk away from her needs (as I'm sure you know), but it does help me, as I remind myself of this fact, to prioritize things in a way that decreases the emphasis on keeping the kids "happy" in exchange for getting and keeping me "healthy" so I can keep them "healthy" as well.

I'm sorry it hurts so much. I know it's painful to watch all of this and have to deal with it.

I am dual diagnosed as well... PTSD and HFAspergers....

As a PTSD survivor, I had to learn to take great care when working with my children. Many times I realized I was allowing my issues to get in the way of the patience I needed to properly take care of the little ones. During trying times, I took a walk alone, or went in my studio and listened to music until I calmed down. I needed to make certain that I was acting correctly and with the correct method and force. Most of the time, my instinct was tainted by my own issues. Taking a bit of time before reacting helped me organize and catagorized all that before taking it out on my children. Then my reactions were much better and much more effective. After all, as an adult, I am the one both in control and in the know.... it was my responsibility to react correctly.

As an Aspie, I remember that traditional punishment didn't work for me as a boy. I had to get creative with my kids as my parents had to get creative with me. I discovered that jumping down to their level and treating them as equals (older and more experienced yes but human equals nonetheless). I helped them realize that we were not just a family but a team and our goal was to be happy. I used my creativity to make up fantastic stories of things that they were interested in, gained their attention and showed them that I wasn't a big bad wolf with a rulebook. This all worked for me very well. I even got down in the floor occasionally and played with toys with them, (My little Pony and Pokemon FTW LOL) and talked to them respectfully. In turn, they slowly began to talk respectfully in return as they felt they were an important part of the team. Today, 15 years later, our relationship is quite awesome!

I remember feeling very different from the grown-ups as a child... and that frustrated me to death.

I don't know if this could work for you but I do feel your pain and frustration and wish you the very best..:)

New Threads

Top Bottom