• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

Just a little bit of info. A lot of people from The UK and Europe don’t understand just how big Australia is. Here’s a simple way for people in the UK to look at it.

Scoop Northern Ireland out and pat it in to the side of Britain at Blackpool, then turn the entire UK clockwise by 90 degrees. What you now have is exactly the same size and almost the same shape as our state of Victoria.

A flight from Adelaide to Darwin takes 4 hours. A flight from Perth to Sydney takes 6 hours.

We currently have an area greater than the size of The UK under water.

australia-map-provinces-0.jpg

Just a little bit of info. A lot of people from The UK and Europe don’t understand just how big Australia is.

I still have not really been able to wrap my mind around it. A farmer I know owns 5000 acres of land. Potato and grain fields and some forest. And that's a pretty big farm. Then I saw a farm in Australia on tv, it was a 300 000 acres farm.... o_O They had 60 000 cows or something, never seen anything like it.

Then I saw some people driving to a farm, when they arrived at the gate to the farm, they had to drive for another two and half hours before they arrived at the main house. I think there are parking lots in Australia that are bigger than the country of Norway.

Then I saw a farm in Australia on tv, it was a 300 000 acres farm.... o_O They had 60 000 cows or something, never seen anything like it.

Then I saw some people driving to a farm, when they arrived at the gate to the farm, they had to drive for another two and half hours before they arrived at the main house. I think there are parking lots in Australia that are bigger than the country of Norway.
You saw that on Top Gear. :)

3,200,000 acres, and 64,000 head is their base stock that they breed from. We're a huge beef exporter.

A lot of Japanese tourists get flustered about the distances between everything here because they only get 8 days of annual leave a year and it takes a lot of time to see much of our country.

I want to see these get used where I live. Instead of tracking a useless delivery driver that can't read instructions on my computer I can watch my little delivery wagon get mugged by drunk teenagers when it's half way here. :)

You saw that on Top Gear. :)

3,200,000 acres, and 64,000 head is their base stock that they breed from. We're a huge beef exporter.

A lot of Japanese tourists get flustered about the distances between everything here because they only get 8 days of annual leave a year and it takes a lot of time to see much of our country.

3,200,000 acres!? That's ridiculous. :) So big. Yes, Top Gear. I compared a little and it said Norway is 4,18% the size of Australia.

I compared a little and it said Norway is 4,18% the size of Australia.
About the size of a big cattle station? :)

It's an amazing place here if you have the time to spend travelling around it a bit. But I don't think you'd cope with the heat very well, you'd melt. I'm complaining about the incredibly cold spring we just had, only 2 days over 30 degrees for the whole season. And it's official now, we're not going to get a summer this year, just more soggy spring weather until autumn starts. Adelaide normally gets at least 4 or 5 day over 40 degrees in summer.

About the size of a big cattle station? :)

It's an amazing place here if you have the time to spend travelling around it a bit. But I don't think you'd cope with the heat very well, you'd melt. I'm complaining about the incredibly cold spring we just had, only 2 days over 30 degrees for the whole season. And it's official now, we're not going to get a summer this year, just more soggy spring weather until autumn starts.

Yeah I think that's accurate, the size of a cattle station. lol

"Death metal fans might just have a new animal mascot.

Some bats use the same vocal structures as death metal singers to make their unique vocalizations, a new study has found.

Researchers at the University of Southern Denmark investigated the noise-making techniques of Daubenton’s bat, a small species of the winged mammal found across Europe and Asia. The study, published Tuesday in the journal PLOS Biology, focuses on the different structures of the larynx — also known as the voice box — that bats use to expand their vocal range."

“We identified for the first time what physical structures within the larynx oscillate to make their different vocalizations. For example, bats can make low frequency calls, using their so called ‘false vocal folds’ — like human death metal singers do,” said Coen Elemans, the lead study author and a professor of biology at the University of Southern Denmark, in a news release.

"Ventricular folds, or false vocal folds, are located on top of the true vocal cords. Historically, these folds were thought to have no role in normal human speech — hence the term “false.”

Low-frequency growls​

"But studies have revealed that these folds are crucial for a few unique forms of vocalization, like the distinctive 'growling' death metal singers use or the throat singing from vocalists in Mongolia and Siberia."

The folds are likely also the source of bats’ low-frequency growls, the researchers found. They didn’t directly observe the vocal cords vibrating or oscillating. However, the researchers wrote, 'We venture to speculate that in bats, the ventricular folds have taken on the role of lower frequency vibrations.'

Scientists still don’t know what exactly the bats are communicating when they use their death metal growls. 'Some seem aggressive, some may be an expression of annoyance, and some may have a very different function,' said study coauthor and University of Southern Denmark biologist Lasse Jakobsen in the news release."

"Death metal fans might just have a new animal mascot.

Some bats use the same vocal structures as death metal singers to make their unique vocalizations, a new study has found.

Researchers at the University of Southern Denmark investigated the noise-making techniques of Daubenton’s bat, a small species of the winged mammal found across Europe and Asia. The study, published Tuesday in the journal PLOS Biology, focuses on the different structures of the larynx — also known as the voice box — that bats use to expand their vocal range."

“We identified for the first time what physical structures within the larynx oscillate to make their different vocalizations. For example, bats can make low frequency calls, using their so called ‘false vocal folds’ — like human death metal singers do,” said Coen Elemans, the lead study author and a professor of biology at the University of Southern Denmark, in a news release.

"Ventricular folds, or false vocal folds, are located on top of the true vocal cords. Historically, these folds were thought to have no role in normal human speech — hence the term “false.”

Low-frequency growls​

"But studies have revealed that these folds are crucial for a few unique forms of vocalization, like the distinctive 'growling' death metal singers use or the throat singing from vocalists in Mongolia and Siberia."

The folds are likely also the source of bats’ low-frequency growls, the researchers found. They didn’t directly observe the vocal cords vibrating or oscillating. However, the researchers wrote, 'We venture to speculate that in bats, the ventricular folds have taken on the role of lower frequency vibrations.'

Scientists still don’t know what exactly the bats are communicating when they use their death metal growls. 'Some seem aggressive, some may be an expression of annoyance, and some may have a very different function,' said study coauthor and University of Southern Denmark biologist Lasse Jakobsen in the news release."

Death metal cat approves of death metal bats.

1669847748009.png

I'm not a huge fan of pressed meats, especially the larger commercial versions, but I've always had a soft spot for one I grew up with. It's a German recipe.

Fritz.

bung-fritz-at-cons-fine-food-adelaide-central-market.jpg

A little Warm Christmas story for you.

We had a large family get together Christmas Dinner barbecue at a local park in Darwin many years ago. My brother's daughter was only 2 years old and wandering around holding a half eaten sausage.

An Ibis (pronounced Top End Seagull) was hanging around and eyeing off the sausage in the little girl's hand, and naturally my brother was hovering near her protectively. Then all of a sudden Cliff reached out and grabbed the ibis by the neck.

He didn't hurt it, he just held it there for a minute or so while it flapped it's wings and screeched and honked. All the other ibis in the park took off in fear, and then he let that ibis go too. None of the ibis came back again and all the other people came over and thanked Cliff for getting rid of them.

How about vegemite? :) I have heard all Australians eat vegemite. My sister was in Australia, she tried it and she says she still has nightmares about it.
Totally forgot about vegemite lol, the first time I heard about it I thought it was chocolate... I was wrong

New Threads

Top Bottom