• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

I had that trouble too, now I just do my shopping online and it gets delivered. Delivery only costs $2, that's cheaper than catching a bus to go shopping.

I'm just waiting for that, the stores have delivery in the cities but I live in a more rural area now. As soon as a store begins delivering here, I'm never going to a grocery store again. :D Woo-hoo

For the record, that milk jug shown in @mysterionz 's post was a Canadian 4L.

large_e20b4dce-1362-49dc-b624-98263a8208a7.png

Random facts:
Canadian milk container sizes vary by region and company, and some sell by metric units (i.e. 4L, 2L, 1L, 0.5L, 0.25L) whereas others sell by the gallon and fraction (e.g. 3.78L / gallon, 1.89L / half gallon, 0.94L / quarter gallon, 0.47L / pint, 0.236L / half pint).

Cartons can go up to 2L, but some places use plastic bottles or containers.

Some smaller brands continue to use traditional glass bottles, with a $1 deposit.

And then there's the milk bags which are stored in a specially sized milk pitcher.

the_future_of_dairy_milk_in_a_bag.jpg

Last edited:
(e.g. 3.78L / gallon, 1.89L / half gallon, 0.94L / quarter gallon, 0.47L / pint, 0.236L / half pint).
I shouldn't have been surprised in hindsight, but I never knew Canada used the US gallon. I just expected you would have been on the imperial system.

I shouldn't have been surprised in hindsight, but I never knew Canada used the US gallon. I just expected you would have been on the imperial system.

Our use of measurement units is messy.

Until 1979, gasoline was sold in imperial gallons (4.54L).

Today, as noted above, milk is sold today either in US gallons (3.78L) or in what I call a metric gallon (4L).

Large bottles of soft drinks / sodas come in 2L and 1L.

A "standard" aluminum can comes in two sizes depending on brand: 355ml (12 fl oz US) or 341ml (12 fl oz Imp).
But there's also some 330ml and 335ml (1/3L) sizes as well.

Our use of measurement units is messy.
Sounds a bit like my sister, she always said she was five foot one and a half centimetres because she thinks it sounds bigger than five foot nothing. :)

I always loved the story behind the US Gallon. From the Boston Tea Party, people in the then colony rioted over the imposition of a 10% luxury import tax and started dumping ship's cargoes in to the harbour.

The British appeared to concede and repealed the tax but from that day forth sold the colonies gallons that were only 7 pints. So instead of getting the original 10% they had been after they were now profiting by an extra 12.5%.

Pieces of eight. :)

Last edited:
I'm only 5'8" and 9 1/2 stones
Wow, that's thin. It's a long time since I had to try and convert stones to Kilos. I'm the same 5'8" but my weight varies quite a lot. Any where between 65 Kilos and 85. (multiply by 2.2 to get pounds)

When I'm a bit depressed I gain weight. When I'm stressed I lose weight. Sometimes my weight changes are quite dramatic and raise a lot of eyebrows, I can drop 10 kilos in less than a month. I'm the most comfortable at around 72 Kilos but right now I'm around the 85 mark.

Wow, that's thin. It's a long time since I had to try and convert stones to Kilos. I'm the same 5'8" but my weight varies quite a lot. Any where between 65 Kilos and 85. (multiply by 2.2 to get pounds)

When I'm a bit depressed I gain weight. When I'm stressed I lose weight. Sometimes my weight changes are quite dramatic and raise a lot of eyebrows, I can drop 10 kilos in less than a month. I'm the most comfortable at around 72 Kilos but right now I'm around the 85 mark.
I can nudge towards 10 stone but rarely. I am the same weight as the time I joined the armed forces in 1980, aged 19 years.

I've lost a good half inch in height since then :D I know this by comparing my asthma clinic health check with my old 1980s identity card.

^ I use metric on things such as my lathe, micrometers etc.
It's the equipment I have so I happily use it, outdated.

I'm also happy to use imperial measurements when doing tasks,woodwork, fitting doors, the usual home tasks.

New Threads

Top Bottom