• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

One might run into unexpected blades in my home.
I'm pretty bad at being around blades. I have a bit of a phobia I guess. Though I do use things like xacto knifes without too much trouble. Though saying that I have to be super careful due to my right arm and hand being a bit useless and dropping things.

On one occasion my hand just did it's usual thing of dropping an xacto knife, in my haste to catch it I whipped my hand down, only for the knife to land perfectly, butt end down on my knee, with the sharp pointy bit sticking up. And I slammed the palm of my hand right on to it. It was pretty nasty.

I never try to do that any more!

I'm pretty bad at being around blades. I have a bit of a phobia I guess. Though I do use things like xacto knifes without too much trouble. Though saying that I have to be super careful due to my right arm and hand being a bit useless and dropping things.

On one occasion my hand just did it's usual thing of dropping an xacto knife, in my haste to catch it I whipped my hand down, only for the knife to land perfectly, butt end down on my knee, with the sharp pointy bit sticking up. And I slammed the palm of my hand right on to it. It was pretty nasty.

Yeesh. Disaster. No blades for you.

I did that with a pencil. Stabbed myself in the hand with a pencil. That's almost not possible.

Around a neighbour's place to watch TV after school one day, an old valve TV with a dicky valve. The back cover on the TV was loose and they kept a wooden ruler next to the TV, you had to tap the dicky valve gently after you turned the TV on to make it start.

On this day the ruler was missing, so Allen used a lead pencil. Molten graphite shot out of the pencil and sprayed up his arm. Left a nasty scar.

Around a neighbour's place to watch TV after school one day, an old valve TV with a dicky valve. The back cover on the TV was loose and they kept a wooden ruler next to the TV, you had to tap the dicky valve gently after you turned the TV on to make it start.

On this day the ruler was missing, so Allen used a lead pencil. Molten graphite shot out of the pencil and sprayed up his arm. Left a nasty scar.
Yikes! I guess a lot of people don't know it's conductive and there's can be a fair few amps pulsing through those old valve state sets!

I did something quite daft like that when I was a kid. I was given a hifi stack system for a little while and I wanted to listen to the radio. It didn't have an FM antenna, but being a bit inventive, I used an old guitar string, and for good measure (but definitely not recommending this!) I wired it into the mains earth. My thinking was that I was going to turn all the wiring in the house into a super antenna.

It worked pretty damn well, but, not sure exactly what happened, if it was an earth loop or the string hit the positive on the AC supply, there was this super loud "Weeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound through the hi-fi and my unlit bedroom lit up like it was right next to the sun. I could see the guitar string lit up like an arc welder and burning down like a fuse in a cartoon!

The string turned to a brittle carbon like nano tube and that's why I only had the hifi for a "little while" :smilecat:

I don't mean to insult by laughing but I have a very graphic imagination.
It's ok it's pretty funny! :smilecat: I'm glad you found it funny too! It got so bright in there, I'm pretty sure there is a silhouette of me as a 13 year old etched into the wall as a result! :smilecat:

My dad had gotten a couple of new things for his hifi and knowing I was fascinated by it he let me have the old amp etc. I promised and promised I wasn't going to pull it apart like I always did (and still do). He assumed I must have been taking it to pieces hence why it was taken away from me mere hours later.

I suppose I didn't technically take it apart or mess around with it. Just the mains plug! :smilecat:

I actually did the same thing with my crystal radio set when I was little, but I didn't short anything.

Remember that you're only hearing the stories we're happy to tell in public. I was the same as Mildred, had to pull everything apart to find out how it worked, usually managed to put it back together again properly too.

When I was 14 I started driving Mum's car whenever I could get away with it. Dad starting taking the main lead from coil to distributor with him every time he went out. Bent coat hanger made a fine replacement.

New Threads

Top Bottom