• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post a random truth about yourself.

I was hit by a Jeep going 30 miles an hour last October feet from my house. Thankfully I made a 150% recovery and walked away with pretty much no damage, but for a time I had like ten staples in my head. It could be said that I was a metalhead in the truest sense of the word in the time after the accident.

Lucky bum! LOL I want staples, all I ever got was cat gut. Would have been great if I needed violin strings but I play keyboards and electric guitar. :p

When separated from my friend and car in a foreign country one evening I made it back to base across three countries about 600 miles without any money or knowing any of the languages by 8am the next morning.

I dance by myself in the living room most nights, and taught myself hip hop from You tube videos.

I have a TV and antenna but haven't turned it on since moving into my apartment three weeks ago...

My husband went to get ONE pig but came home with these two today.
tgApSDRl.jpg

I often feel like my struggles are invisible to everyone else. So in my escape world in my head, I'm in a wheelchair (which is odd to me because I literally know two people with physical handicaps and neither of them do I know well). Anyway, in that world in my head, people are okay with my struggles because they can physically see them. It almost feels freeing after a long and difficult day at work that's full of struggles that people at work can't comprehend. And that realization always make me feel a little unsettled.

I think that touches on something many of us have felt. And not just autism but other hidden conditions.

It would remove the way many doubt and think you are playing some game. It would be fairly easy for them to understand. But then again it usually means many restrictions and loss of the chance to do many things. I think then all in all I would rather have the misunderstanding and have the freedoms. Autism can have its own restrictions but there is usually, in HFA at least, the potential to overcome the obstacles and do that thing you desire.

I think that touches on something many of us have felt. And not just autism but other hidden conditions.

It would remove the way many doubt and think you are playing some game. It would be fairly easy for them to understand. But then again it usually means many restrictions and loss of the chance to do many things. I think then all in all I would rather have the misunderstanding and have the freedoms. Autism can have its own restrictions but there is usually, in HFA at least, the potential to overcome the obstacles and do that thing you desire.
Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I would not actually want the restrictions that come with a physical (and visible) disability. But I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (another hidden condition), so perhaps the struggles of both AS and FMS coincide to create this line of thinking for me.

Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I would not actually want the restrictions that come with a physical (and visible) disability. But I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (another hidden condition), so perhaps the struggles of both AS and FMS coincide to create this line of thinking for me.

Yeah, Fibro was on my mind writing that. Its a neck and neck race between that and ASD as far as who gets disbelieved more. Some recent studies have been turning up breakthrough evidence on the fibro condition but its not getting out into the general public conciousness yet.

according to my allergy test, i am allergic to 13 different types of trees. unfortunately, i cannot remember which ones they are.

according to my allergy test, i am allergic to 13 different types of trees. unfortunately, i cannot remember which ones they are.

Or maybe the question is which one you aren't allergic too. :D When I was tested my worst reaction was a single tree. Sycamore. But I thought, 'No biggie, when am I going to run into those.' Then I found out the tree I was leaning on when swinging my daughter in the backyard was a ..... :eek:

(From Web MD)
Trees that often trigger allergies include:

• Ash
  • Aspen
  • Beech
  • Birch
  • Box elder
  • Cedar
  • Cottonwood
  • Elm
  • Hickory
  • Mountain elder
  • Mulberry
  • Oak
  • Pecan
  • Willow

All tests and analyses say I ought to be a genius with words, but I stifle my vocabulary to get along better with people offline. Doesn't help that my speaking skills are actually pretty clumsy, and I'm always trying to pick from a gigantic mental "pile" of words, so I come off pretty inept.

I've got a photographic memory, unfortunately I also have dyslexia so, my memory photographs of written pages are as my dyslexia sees them, I still have to read them slowly and decipher the scrambled words.

Trees that often trigger allergies include:
  • Ash
  • Aspen
  • Beech
  • Birch
  • Box elder
  • Cedar
  • Cottonwood
  • Elm
  • Hickory
  • Mountain elder
  • Mulberry
  • Oak
  • Pecan
  • Willow

that was really helpful, Tom! i'm just going to write that down and whip it out whenever I need to know my specific allergies. I know there's 14 of them and not 13 listed, but I'm just going to play it safe and assume I'm allergic to the 14th, as well. :D

that was really helpful, Tom! i'm just going to write that down and whip it out whenever I need to know my specific allergies. I know there's 14 of them and not 13 listed, but I'm just going to play it safe and assume I'm allergic to the 14th, as well. :D

Also it may be the tree pollen that you are allergic to and in mixed woods area just part of a mass of many pollens and allergens. So there is not much you can do except avoid being outside on certain bad pollen days or take an antihistimine as needed. I do the latter, as its grasses that get me. But I only do it as needed and maybe take an antihistimine 10 days a year.

Yeah, Fibro was on my mind writing that. Its a neck and neck race between that and ASD as far as who gets disbelieved more. Some recent studies have been turning up breakthrough evidence on the fibro condition but its not getting out into the general public conciousness yet.
I agree with that wholeheartedly! People do not understand what they cannot see. Rather, they misunderstand and increase the stigma. I hope that people will start to find the recent evidence about fibro though and see that it's a known medical condition related to pain receptors and nerve endings and not "all in your head." My dad still doesn't believe that diagnosis...

A few years back I poisoned myself by drinking diet mountain dew. I would always have a bottle and drink diet mountain dew instead of water all the time.
I got to where I was having shooting pains all over my body. I couldn't sleep because a pain would hit and I'd come shooting up out of bed. I went to several doctors, and had CAT scans and xrays, and blood tests, etc. I tried to get into Mayo Clinic but they wouldn't take me. One doctor said they didn't have a disease that fits my symptoms.
Anyway, after about 3 months of this, I quit drinking the diet mountain dew on my own. Eventually after a few weeks the pains started to go away. When I went back to my primary, she's like "Oh, good for you. You did some self diagnosis and figured it out". I'm thinking "Ya, thanks for the help". Not my favorite doctor.
No more diet pop for me! It's been about 3 years now, and I'm 99.5 percent better, with the exception of a little bone or joint pain that never went away.

New Threads

Top Bottom