• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post a random truth about yourself.

I want to talk about a new product I'm testing that isn't on the market yet but, I'm under and NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) about it so I can't share. I love this thing.

Yes, I have to agree with you on that. I would not actually want the restrictions that come with a physical (and visible) disability. But I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I have also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (another hidden condition), so perhaps the struggles of both AS and FMS coincide to create this line of thinking for me.

I have at this point, among other conditions causing chronic pain, be- my en diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The fact that ones ability can vary makes people really doubtful- they tend not to accept a person's personal experience and can sometimes even be really mean about it. if you are in pain all the time, you can't simply do nothing because you are in pain- like, you still need things to get done. And then when you explain you have limits there is a laundry list read off of "ALL THE THINGS" you did yesterday or last week, "so why can't you do it now?".

People are really harsh about things they don't personally experience- my increasing pain absolutely makes managing and coping more difficult in terms of some challenges involving autism.

I really understand the want to have SOMETHING that makes an impediment more "real" to other people. If people see a wheelchair, they rarely challenge it. [ETA: same with a bandage of any sort, or a cane or crutches, a splint or support]

I'm sorry you have this experience that you describe, but I think I understand it to a degree.

<3

People are really harsh about things they don't personally experience- my increasing pain absolutely makes managing and coping more difficult in terms of some challenges involving autism.

...And I really didn't say enough about this, cherryq, but I find that many who have a chronic physical issue plus autism have a similar experience. [as Tom suggested]

I used to carefully unwrap the plastic on my moms cigarette packs take out 1 smoke, than using a red hot needle reseal the plastic and think it was funny when she thought she was losing her mind because her "unopened" smoke packs were always 1 short.

I see my dead grandmother standing high, or laying crumbled together with her arms around her bent legs on the floor. She is bald with spanish complexion and decently solid black eyebrows, her stare is of hesitation. Or she supinely lays pale white and closed eyes with her hands crossed like an imminently burried christian, and her hair is dense, short and rigid, 1cm and gray, standing stiffly up from her head's surface.

...It's not hallucination, I just get the thought sometimes. It's visualized.

Last edited:
I can only leave the shower if I've washed my face last. If my face isn't wet when I turn of the shower I still feel dirty.

I can only leave the shower if I've washed my face last. If my face isn't wet when I turn of the shower I still feel dirty.

Interesting.

I have not been able to comfortably shower since '67 which was when I first watched Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "Pyscho." I cannot imagine what my parents were thinking in taking a 7 year old child to see this movie.

I take baths, not showers.

03-psycho-screen.jpg

Interesting.

I have not been able to comfortably shower since '67 which was when I first watched Alfred Hitchcock's movie, "Pyscho." I cannot imagine what my parents were thinking in taking a 7 year old child to see this movie.

I take baths, not showers.

View attachment 20649

Interesting indeed. I take showers, not baths. One in the morning for the wake up value, one in the evening for the clean up value. I do not like sitting in the dirty water. It probably helps that I did not see "Pyscho" until I was a adult. That is not a very good movie for a 7 year old to see.

I spend so much time thinking about how I am going to do things I need to do that I seldom manage to find the time to actually get them done.

I was once so focused on mixing paint colours during an art lesson, when I was eleven, that I totally ignored a growing need to relieve myself, until it was too late. Even then I wasn't aware that I'd actually peed myself until another boy in the lesson, who seemed to like me for some unfathomable reason, informed me that I was standing in a rapidly expending puddle of urine. I immediately picked up a glass jar filled with water, that I'd been using to dip my paintbrush into, and I deliberately emptied it over the front of my trouser, then I loudly protested about the "accident." The boy who'd pointed out what was happening was the only person, other than myself, who knew the real reason why my trousers were wet and fortunately he never told anyone.

I only cry for physical pain, I cried when I was a kid for my father punishments and the pressure I had to cope with but now I look like a block of ice, most times I don't even have to fake it. But it's curious that the last time I cried was savouring a new dish.

One of my interests is human interaction.
While I'm at the same time pretty scared of it and very nervous while interacting, I also really like learning from them.

A teacher once asked me why an aspie would possibly want to have work as socially intense as being a nurse.

For me humans and interactions are what space is to an astronomer. I don't like it because it is easy and understandable, but I like it because it is so intricate and complicated. There is so much to learn and be fascinated about.

I'm just weird like that xD

I guess for me, I am kind of into how the brain works. There are a lot of interesting facts out there about how the brain works. My main focus is how our brains work. Having Asperger Syndrome and all. How does our brain work? That is the ultimate question.

New Threads

Top Bottom