• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Possibility of doing work placements through a local disability employment Charity.

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Had a chat with a bloke from Aspire Sheffield this afternoon while I was waiting for Dad to pick me up from my Digital Arts course, he said they do work placements for disabled people and training towards jobs, but I have to be referred from a support company, so I gave him the details of Choice Support UK who support me with day to day activities and texted the details and phone number to Laura, the team leader.

Sounds like this could be a good opportunity if it comes to anything.

Placement programs. That was the only way for me to make a breakthrough in finding meaningful work. By signing up with a university-sponsored job counseling program.

Allowed me not only to get help in looking and interviewing for work, but more importantly learned about jobs I might be good at that I otherwise would have never even heard of before.

Placement programs. That was the only way for me to make a breakthrough in finding meaningful work. By signing up with a university-sponsored job counseling program.

Allowed me not only to get help in looking and interviewing for work, but more importantly learned about jobs I might be good at that I otherwise would have never even heard of before.

Thing is, I kind of did the whole placement based working for free thing in late teens/early 20s at College, I enjoyed the work for the most part, but like I said, I've kind of been there, done that and literally worn the T shirt when I worked at Netto from October 96 till I left College in July 97.

If it was genuinely a path to a REAL job I'd willingly do it again, but I've been the victim of broken promises before, they say "Oh yeah this WILL lead to a job at the end", and then come the end of the placement they make some lame excuse like I was "too slow" or whatever, I was good enough to work for them for free, so why can't they pay me a wage?!

What does it mean at the beginning when you type "Topic"?

It has a hazelnut in every bite?

41lr2wvo3HL._SY355_.jpg

I hope this is helpful for you Rich,
it can’t hurt to explore what options or opportunities are offered by going along with this new programme right? :)

What does it mean at the beginning when you type "Topic"?

It's just something I always do.

As for the Topic bars, they were a nut based chocolate they used to sell in the UK, not seen 'em for a long time though.

Have you heard anything from Aspire Sheffield yet Rich?

Not yet, Laura, the acting team leader from Choice Support's been on leave all week and I asked her to ring to refer me to it

In fact, I might just send her an email see if she's been in touch yet, I sent her a long text with the details last week.

Last edited:
Laura's told me today that she's spoken to the guy at Aspire and he's given her his email address, and she'll tell me all about it when we meet next week.

I signed a permission form this morning for them to share my details with the relevant Agencies.

Been sent the referral paperwork from Aspire this tea time, looking forward to starting soon.

Well Laura's waiting on an email from the guy at Aspire with a view to me starting training down there by the end of this month.

Result!

New Threads

Top Bottom