• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Poor Singing

thejuice

Quick rant... What happened to people who could actually sing? What's this off key, wobbly, untrained voice I'm hearing.. is it meant to have character and be charming?

The only person who gets a pass from me is Thom Yorke because the music and creativity is off the charts...

Boy I'm a misery guts, this is why i dont get invited to parties. (Thank goodness..)

Last edited:
Singing and songwriting both took a dive in the 60s, in the US anyway, with the rising of the "singer-songwriter." Before this time, both careers were filled with professional musicians.

Quick rant... What happened to people who could actually sing? What's this off key, wobbly, untrained voice I'm hearing.. is it meant to have character and be charming?
Australia still has a lot of spectacular singers, but it does seem to be a dying art.

And here's Jimmy Barnes in his 60s, still with pretty much the same voice he had when he was in his 20s:

Last edited:
I always get a good taste of "today's" music on the New Year's Eve shows.
Heck, I don't even know who they are.
Not to step on anybody's toes that like it, but it's not for me.

My wife and I like watching NBC's The Voice. You get to see really good singers turn into great singers. It's amazing to watch the growth in young singers, those late teen - early 20's with prodigy-like raw talent, and then have the coaches work with them. Literally week to week there is noticeable steps forward in their abilities.

But more on topic, I would agree there is less emphasis on actual singing in todays music. I know from watching The Voice that it is all in how the arrangements are done, because the same popular songs can be arranged to highlight the vocal abilities of the singer in very tasteful ways.

Bjork is another who gets a pass because she's exceptionally creative. Still refuse to listen to 'Its oh so quiet' though

I find it hard to believe that singing has deteriorated. There are many many great singers. They may not be in the genres you listen to. Singing publically via TV, You Tube, Spotify has multiplied the ammount of singers available to listen to and with that can be expected there are more less talented ones to hear.

I find it hard to believe that singing has deteriorated. There are many many great singers. They may not be in the genres you listen to. Singing publically via TV, You Tube, Spotify has multiplied the ammount of singers available to listen to and with that can be expected there are more less talented ones to hear.
I think the point is singing in popular music has deteriorated. Not the case for opera or jazz.

This deterioration has been going on long before the internet boom.

New Threads

Top Bottom