• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Please Help...

broadstreetbum

Sorry for the long post. Just looking for advice.

The other night me and my girlfriend were having a small argument over me always coming home and putting my headphones in all night. I understood that it was irritating but I explained it was something I wish I could do 24/7 because it's more comfortable for me to be engaged in podcasts about sports, the stock market, or space than interact with people. My girlfriend went to school to teach kids with disabilities and told me that it was a tell tale sign of aspergers. I kind of thought autism and aspergers were the same thing and knew I didnt act "autistic" so I brushed it off. A few days later I became interested and started looking up information and was amazed by two symptoms in particular.

1. Inflexible Scedule. I absolutely hate change! Not too long ago my bank was bought out by another bank and I almost had a meltdown. A few weeks ago my girlfriend asked me to go to her parents for dinner on a day I go to the gym and I explained that I "just couldnt go" because if I skipped that day the whole foundation of my workout routine would fall apart and i'd stop going all together eventually.

2. Lack of empathy. This one is a biggie and has caused my last two girlfriends to tell me I have issues. I remember once taking to a family member and they told me a family friend had passed and I told them "well she was old. Thats kind of whats supposed to happen if you think about it." The way I think is purely logic based so sometimes I feel like people don't see the big picture when i'm explaining how they should deal with things. This is my biggest pet peeve with people. If you say something like "I'm fat, I need to lose weight." And then I begin explaining being in a caloric surplus and figuring out your maintenance calories don't look at me like i'm an idiot. I also am brutally honest so that gets me in trouble at times.

The question I wanted to ask is should I get diagnosed to be certain? Is there a benefit in knowing for sure and having it on record or will it haunt me later in life? Thanks to anyone who reads this whole thing. I'm just trying to understand myself better.

Welcome to the adventure of learning more about yourself and how you do, or don’t interact with the world.

Start reading on Asperger Syndrome Traits.

You sound like me the last couple of years and the last few months... There are some online tests I took, that's a good place to start... I'll have to dig up the links again... I did the AQ, EQ and SQ test, plus the RAADS test From there you can decide if you want to go any further with official diagnosis... I tested positive on all those tests I just mentioned, so far I'm leaving it at that...

You sound like me the last couple of years and the last few months... There are some online tests I took, that's a good place to start... I'll have to dig up the links again... I did the AQ, EQ and SQ test, plus the RAADS test From there you can decide if you want to go any further with official diagnosis... I tested positive on all those tests I just mentioned, so far I'm leaving it at that...
I just took the EQ test and scored a 13/80. :eek:

I think it's important to not too easily associate shyness automatically with Asperger Syndrome... There are other explanations...

If you feel you would benefit from an official diagnosis you should persue it.
I did it for peace of mind.
It's a spectrum so when you undertake further research remember you may not identify with everything.
Have a search on this forum...there are posts with links to online "tests" and discussions about pros and cons of making it "official".

If you feel you would benefit from an official diagnosis you should persue it.
I did it for peace of mind.
It's a spectrum so when you undertake further research remember you may not identify with everything.
Have a search on this forum...there are posts with links to online "tests" and discussions about pros and cons of making it "official".
I took a few of the tests that Sherlock mentioned and scored a 33 on the AQ and 82 on the SQ which is above average. The average for NT's on the SQ is a 70. The results of these tests do alarm me but only because i'm not 100 percent sure what they mean and i'm not sure if there are any downsides to having such high scores. I'm not so sure anything could be done by getting an official diagnosis but I do worry that these things take a toll on my relationship. I know my girlfriend wishes I wasn't so "difficult".

I took a few of the tests that Sherlock mentioned and scored a 33 on the AQ and 82 on the SQ which is above average. The average for NT's on the SQ is a 70. The results of these tests do alarm me but only because i'm not 100 percent sure what they mean and i'm not sure if there are any downsides to having such high scores. I'm not so sure anything could be done by getting an official diagnosis but I do worry that these things take a toll on my relationship. I know my girlfriend wishes I wasn't so "difficult".

Maybe you could raise this with your gf.
If the two of you research together then you can discuss what you are learning.
Understanding and communication are really vital in any relationship but especially when one partner has specific needs. Like an illness .. or phobias .. or an inability to do something. ASD is not a disability. I feel that's akin to calling being a woman a disability. Or someone's sexuality or religion. These are merely differences. Ultimately everyone is different and we are all looking for acceptance.
Knowledge is power. The more you know the less scary it is. Do the research.
Perhaps if your gf understood why you need earplugs she would not find it insulting or difficult. Take a chance. Talk to her.

Welcome BroadStreetBum.

If you get tested do it for yourself. If some of the free online tests indicate you maybe on the spectrum you can try some coping strategies.

You can also hang out here and see what are some of the multitude of issues that maybe linked to Autism. (In my case everything form being bad at sport, dietary issues and poor decision making). Others may not affect you because it is a spectrum condition and very varied.

Lack of empathy.

Hi there. Just to correct ( I was the same). It is a lack of SYMPATHY that we struggle with. In fact, aspies have more empathy in their "little finger" than NT's in their whole hand!

Yes, that is me to, when I have someone telling me that an old person died. But I have learned to "fake" sympathy.

I am also very interested in natural therapy and have been known to bombard someone with that knowledge and not getting why they get annoyed with me. I mean: surely one WANTS to get better? But it appears as though they want an excuse to moan about their illness and I find that hard to cope with.

I am not official, but those who need to know, accept me as having aspergers and actually, someone I was talking with yesterday said that his brother has aspergers, so he does understand a little of what I go through.

I am told that if I prewarn people that because I have aspergers, I can go on a bit and to ask them to let me know if this happens. This is in my radar of possiblities and so, I may attempt it.

When I first discovered aspergers, I thought that although it ticked many boxes, to me, it did not tick enough, but actually, what learning about aspergers has done for me, is to get to know who I am, as an individual. Things I thought I was out there on, only to discover they are an aspie thing.

It is a lack of SYMPATHY that we struggle with. In fact, aspies have more empathy in their "little finger" than NT's in their whole hand!

I would disagree. All of us are different, and I can sympathise with people but not empathise. You may have "more empathy in your little finger than NT's" but I'm afraid that's not true of every person on the spectrum.

In terms of the OP, I'd say that ultimately only you can decide if there's a benefit to diagnosis. The way it seems to me is that diagnosis would at least give you an answer either way as at the moment you come across like you're sort of feeling stuck in limbo.

I really do feel kind of stuck. I now find myself wondering what issues I have are directly related to this. For example...I have been told one of my many faults is I have an inabilty to compromise. If my girlfriend and I want to watch a different movie I might suggest she go to see hers and I go to see mine and then we both get what we want. But obviously thats not what she has in mind. Does anyone else have this issue?

New Threads

Top Bottom