• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Places that you go to calm down / escape

View attachment 69092

This is basically in my front yard. Something about it and the moving water's sound is calming and restorative. :)
If it is not invasion of privacy, do you mind if I ask the general location? It is very beautiful!

My bedroom is my calm zone.
I have it decorated with colours and items that are of my choosing.
Olive walls with white trims. A huge window that faces east and all I see when in bed are the
trees outback. Sunrise in the mornings.
It's rather a modern Gothic look to the room. Espresso furniture. Four poster cannonball bed.
TV at end of the room where I can watch it from the bed. No room for a chair.
Night tables on each side with lamps that have brocade shades give a soothing golden glow.
One wall is covered with display shelves for my rock collection.

An antique map of Long Island above the headboard on the wall.
A metal tree of life above the TV. Stereo set and my collection of crystals, rocks, Egyptian bronze
figures, a few Goth skulls, dragons and flicker candles that come on automatically at night.

If I'm out in a store and get anxious I duck into a bathroom until I can take some deep breathing
and relax.

I like night driving too. Quiet and not many cars around.
Working with my flower gardens helps if I need to let off energy.
And nature of course. Lakes, woods, etc.
Behind the back yard:
Wiregrass 003.JPG

View attachment 69092

This is basically in my front yard. Something about it and the moving water's sound is calming and restorative. :)
Moving water like that is helpful to me, but then my mind engages, analyzing the flow, the currents, and what moves I need to make for a clean run. But then, when doing outdoor activities, I'm so in the moment, one with my body, that it is calming. At home we have a tiered rock garden on the slope to the lower level and next to the porch, filled with native flowers. Just observing the life there is calming to me.

The worst for me are Airports. The press of people, noise, action, and arbitrary rules just frazzles me. I'll seek out the quietest area, put on my headphones, and zone out. When I can afford it I will go to an airline lounge.

I arrive early before each shift and sit down near the area so I can get a feel of the atmosphere so I’m prepared for the day. I want to see how busy or not so busy the place is before I start to give myself time to be as calm as possible. I always buy a latte and sit and drink this while I watch the world go by. The latte gives me that extra energy boost which is needed for work.

For me it's just my room, I have a new galaxy projector that can stay on 24/7, I just go up there and stare at the ceiling sometimes.

I go into my man-cave/office. Since I have retired for good, it really is not a office any more. My desk and computer are in here, so I spend a lot of time in here. My gun safe is in here and a TV, however the TV only gets used during football season (my wife does not like football). My desk also serves as a small project work bench. Like tearing down and cleaning guns. This is for the most part my happy place. Only being with my wife and family makes me happier.

For me, it's into the virtual worlds that games give us. (In English, I don't have a physical place, I usually go to video games when I need to calm down)

Or watching the Tennessee Titans come up 1 yard short in literally everything, LOL. (Fingers crossed we might win the Super Bowl this year!)

I live on a boat with my husband. My safe place is under my head phones while I work on a hobby or read.

Living on small boat is quite o.k. for us. My husband is a quiet soul and very good company. We do a lot of side by side "play". That is, we can be in one anothers company without doing the same thing or talking.

But boat life is not always calm. Wind really un-nerves me even when we are on a safe mooring. During these times I try to distract with a mindless hobby and data tracking. Somehow, if I keep my mind on the data of the storm I am soothed a bit.

Living on a boat is way, way outside of my comfort zone but I have never had much "comfort" in life anyway. I manage because I give myself permission to be afraid. And it's just me and hubby, there is no one to care if I don't always keep it together. At least I don't get sea sick!

If all else fails, I lay in our berth and imagine a small, safe place. Sometimes it is a nuns cell with simple furnishings, often it is a life boat pod jettisoned from a research vessel in space. Our berth is sort of like these places anyway. It is a small cubby with a soft mattress and built in cabinets for our clothes. The most apt description of our berth is "the marshmallow coffin".

I usually jump in the car go and for a drive, long walks were my go too before, due to restrictions from my stroke unable to do this any more

New Threads

Top Bottom