• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Pets as therapy!

Ambi

I have always loved animals - but though I cared for them, I didn't really bond with them - and they didn't seem to bond with me. My parents used to make fun of me for that, actually. And I didn't experience the sense of calm that is supposed to happen when petting your pet. Now, I've had my dog for 10 years. She's adopted. She has been with me through the most stressful times of my adult life! Yet I was often too distracted to pay attention to her - I didn't neglect her, but rather even when there was time I could have paid attention to her or enjoyed her company, I was focused on other things (like obsessions or worries). I always felt like I was her steward - but the feelings I would have for her were concern for her wellbeing or guilt for not playing with her enough or annoyance that while I was trying to do something she was just staring at me and making this quiet noise that absolutely dove me batty. Though recently I remembered, I used to like that noise, because it meant she was happy - now I think she makes it to try to get my attention, like saying, "I need love!" and so I felt guilty.

Then randomly, I had a true heartfelt (not just intellectual) realization that she is here to be my friend. I think that's just one of those social barrierss that I just wasn't fathoming before - it just suddenly dawned on me - yes, something so utterly basic to most people I guess, but for me, it was really a huge change - for the first time, I felt a flood of love in my heart for another being - it was warm love, not that flood of concern/care tinged with fear that signals that I want to take good care of her - it was appreciation for what she can do for me. I just only suddenly realized all that she has to offer, and I finally took real pleasure in just playing with her and petting her, all of that - after 10 years of owning her, and after many more years of owning several other types of pets.

So.....not only will I now enjoy all the benefits of pet ownership, the therapeutic effects that I think most are talking about (calming, etc.), but I think it actually helped a breakthrough with my Aspergers (not that other Aspies had this particular issue, but I have).

How have your pets been therapeutic for you...?

I have always been a dog lover and have grown up around dogs. I miss having one SO much! lol.

I instantly love them like they're my wee babies even if they're not mine. I'll start baby talking them with kisses and cuddles while telling them everything on my mind and winding them up sometimes saying "Is there a bad man?" when looking out the window in a stern voice.

My dog has taught me more about life than I could have ever imagined. I listen to him when he stomps his feet, and I talk to him all the time, he picks up on how I am feeling and that is reflected in his behavior. He loves to go for rides in the car, probably because I love the feeling of motion.

He is my best friend.

I have always loved animals - but though I cared for them, I didn't really bond with them - and they didn't seem to bond with me. My parents used to make fun of me for that, actually. And I didn't experience the sense of calm that is supposed to happen when petting your pet. Now, I've had my dog for 10 years. She's adopted. She has been with me through the most stressful times of my adult life! Yet I was often too distracted to pay attention to her - I didn't neglect her, but rather even when there was time I could have paid attention to her or enjoyed her company, I was focused on other things (like obsessions or worries). I always felt like I was her steward - but the feelings I would have for her were concern for her wellbeing or guilt for not playing with her enough or annoyance that while I was trying to do something she was just staring at me and making this quiet noise that absolutely dove me batty. Though recently I remembered, I used to like that noise, because it meant she was happy - now I think she makes it to try to get my attention, like saying, "I need love!" and so I felt guilty.

Then randomly, I had a true heartfelt (not just intellectual) realization that she is here to be my friend. I think that's just one of those social barrierss that I just wasn't fathoming before - it just suddenly dawned on me - yes, something so utterly basic to most people I guess, but for me, it was really a huge change - for the first time, I felt a flood of love in my heart for another being - it was warm love, not that flood of concern/care tinged with fear that signals that I want to take good care of her - it was appreciation for what she can do for me. I just only suddenly realized all that she has to offer, and I finally took real pleasure in just playing with her and petting her, all of that - after 10 years of owning her, and after many more years of owning several other types of pets.

So.....not only will I now enjoy all the benefits of pet ownership, the therapeutic effects that I think most are talking about (calming, etc.), but I think it actually helped a breakthrough with my Aspergers (not that other Aspies had this particular issue, but I have).

I've always had a cat or dog from the age of 9. Although pets are huge responsibilities, I absolutely consider them to be my best friends.

I am deeply attached to my dogs, although I don't really feel anything other than compassionate concern for their welfare. One dog is my retired Service Dog, he gets me completely, and I'll cry when he's ready to go, but I still don't feel much empathy or connection with him. I have to work very hard to feel connected, and its taken 12 years to do that. My new dog is actually forcing me to feel connection more. He's much more needy than my old boy, so it makes me be more aware of how much I'm neglecting my boys.

The new dog has a special thing he does, he generates heat at the point of physical contact/connection. So if I'm petting his head, his head gets very warm. Same with his spine, or neck. Funny thing is, since adopting this dog, my OLD dog has started to do this as well! Old boy learned how to connect from the new dog, and they are teaching me to be aware of connection. Dogs are amazing beasts!

I am deeply attached to my dogs, although I don't really feel anything other than compassionate concern for their welfare. One dog is my retired Service Dog, he gets me completely, and I'll cry when he's ready to go, but I still don't feel much empathy or connection with him. I have to work very hard to feel connected, and its taken 12 years to do that. My new dog is actually forcing me to feel connection more. He's much more needy than my old boy, so it makes me be more aware of how much I'm neglecting my boys.

The new dog has a special thing he does, he generates heat at the point of physical contact/connection. So if I'm petting his head, his head gets very warm. Same with his spine, or neck. Funny thing is, since adopting this dog, my OLD dog has started to do this as well! Old boy learned how to connect from the new dog, and they are teaching me to be aware of connection. Dogs are amazing beasts!
You've described perfectly how my experience is with difficulty with true empathy/connection, and having to work very hard at it. I am glad your dogs are helping!

My rats. I love my dog, he's my best mate, company and protection when I go out anywhere. But at home I like my rats. They are nosy and curious and happily sit on my shoulder or in my pocket while I potter around home. And when they 'brux' (happy sounds) it is the cutest thing. Like they are safe with you. They are both calming and comforting for me and my aspie kids.

I LOVE dogs. Refer to quote at bottom.

From their soft ears to the pitter patter of paws on hard floors.
My beautiful childhood dog died about 10 years ago ... she was almost 19 years old, which is quite a good innings. Apart from immediate family, she was the longest constant in my life. I was so devastated at losing her that it has taken me a decade to finally be ready to give my heart to a new pooch.
2 weeks ago a little pup came to live with me. :D
She is super independent - not needy - so the transition of living with a pup is going well. A little heartbeat following me about and giving me focus also gives me purpose to get out of my funks. She should be able to be classified as a Therapy Dog.

I always found animals, and dogs in particular, quite calming and soothing.
I like watching them go about their business and when they interact with me I "feel" them. I don't tend to "feel" people. When I was a kid and was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I'd say: a hermit with lots of animals and a vegie garden. Hmmm...still sounds appealing.:rolleyes:

That's a really big realisation and breakthrough there Ambi. I'm glad you are now able to enjoy the benefits of pet ownership that you had previously missed out on...and the "feeling a connection" is great I think.

I have grown up in a family where animals were always present. I can't think of a time at any point where we didn't have a pet of some sort. At present I have 5 cats and a dog and they are amazing. Two of my cats are so in tune with me that they can tell I am unwell before I even know about it. In fact I tend to get a bit annoyed with them when they scratch and bang on the door to get to me (before I feel sick) but after I realise that they knew something was up and I feel bad for feeling angry with them. I love them all dearly and have trouble picking a favourite because they each bring a different personality with them. They have saved my life numerous times (but that's another story) and I like to think I replay that with providing them the best in food and care. I think pets are great therapy.

When I moved in with my boyfriend, it was the first time in my life that I hadn't had a pet dog around and it was awful. After 2.5 years together (of me badgering him and subscribing his newsfeed to pet shelters), we finally got a dog and it was fantastic. I really cannot believe how much of a difference it made to me and my mental health. The cats are great but the dog makes you be more interactive in terms of taking him for walks and for me getting out of the house can be a HUGE deal...I tend to like to hermit as much as possible.
I must admit though that I have a thing for long haired animals, for soft, fluffy things (be they animals or home furnishings) and since I discovered my Aspie status it made sense to me that it is a tactile thing. I certainly advocate pets for therapy, they are great friend and companions :)

My mum breeds dogs. She has a connection with dogs like nothing I have ever heard of or seen. If we are out someplace where there are dogs, the dogs are just drawn to her. Everyone calls her a dog whisperer.
Also my mum has a service dog. Her bond with this dog is very intense. If anyone else holds the dog's leash and mum walks away for a few seconds the dog will start crying and panicking. She is this dog's whole world and vice versa. I think she has more of a connection with her dogs than she does with me.

As for me, we have one particular dog that's "mine" and I have made an effort to bond with this dog and he with me but it is nothing like my mum and her dogs. Dogs, more specifically dog shows, are one of my special interests. I am good with dogs but not at the same level as my mum.
I have always sort of envied her ability with dogs and I would like to be a dog whisperer as well but I just don't have the same sort of connection.

My two cats have saved my life so many times, I cannot count them. The older one, who is 27 years old, learned on his own to alert me to a recurring health problem. He also taught the other one to alert me.

They also do a lot to keep me going every day. In especially bad times, I do not feel like getting out of bed. I will get up to feed and take care of them even when I feel really bad.

They also keep my spirits up with all of the unconditional love they shower me with. They act like little furry angels most of the time.

My two cats have saved my life so many times, I cannot count them. The older one, who is 27 years old, learned on his own to alert me to a recurring health problem. He also taught the other one to alert me.

They also do a lot to keep me going every day. In especially bad times, I do not feel like getting out of bed. I will get up to feed and take care of them even when I feel really bad.

They also keep my spirits up with all of the unconditional love they shower me with. They act like little furry angels most of the time.

I feel the same about out two (three before) cats. Although they were rescues, it was like they rescued us instead.

Always loved animals. My classmates would refer to my house as a "zoo" because they knew I took care of birds, turtles, fishes, fortune lobsters...even chickens at some point.

I just really enjoyed their company and I felt as though I could understand them better than other people. Thing is, they also gave me opportunities to talk with other kids and even pet-loving adults -- they were the reason I was able to open up.

New Threads

Top Bottom