• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

She’s not bad looking… I just think she’s using too much brow makeup and possibly lip filler.

On a related subject, one of my pet peeves is that the people at the salon won’t make my eyebrows thinner because it “isn’t fashionable.”
You really think I want to look like Bert and Ernie? There is a reason I shaved off my eyebrows when I was a kid.
I had them too. I plucked mine to a little less. But l am like you, l have very thick hair, the kind hairdressers complain about when they blow dry. So hairdressers don't like me because l sit to long in their chair.

Moving banners at the top of websites.
Commercials interrupting TV shows. In fact, advertising full stop.
People who want to push in front of me in the queue, just because they have 2 items, while I have 6.
People jingling keys or clacking worry beads while they are waiting for the bus. Clack... clack... clack.
The very fact that I now have to wear glasses.
Groups of two or three people who walk slowly and take up all the pavement/sidewalk so I can't overtake them.
Cars not stopping for me at a zebra crossing, or who don't give me right of way when I have a green man.
Overuse of "kind of". It's kind of funny. It's kind of hot, etc.
People talking over the top of me when I'm speaking.
Religious types that bring their religion into every conversation.
People asking me how many times I went swimming in the summer. Not whether I go swimming or not, which would be a more pertinent question, but how many times.

One of my main ones is when people think because I'm not performatively wringing my hands and talking about something all the time that I am not actively dealing with it.

The way I problem solve is to get information about the problem, then I think about it a lot, I examine it in my head. Eventually I will figure out some potential solutions and begin to try them out.

I also get irritated by people constantly interrupting my thinking processes to remind me to deal with the problem I'm literally dealing with.

I don't know if it's just me that has this as a pet peeve? I'm seriously thinking of getting a hat or a t shirt that says something like "The reason why I'm not talking about it, is because I'm literally thinking about little else!". Or perhaps something a bit more brief and snappy! :)

One of mine is how pictures of people in photos or on TV have their faces blurred. Now, I know the reason for this: it's protect their privacy. But that being the case, then why don't they show a picture of something else related to the subject matter, if not the subject itself? What's the point of showing a picture of a person, then blotting the person out? I've even seen selfies with all the face blurred out, leaving just a border round the face in focus. Or, I watch a TV documentary and all that I see is blurs. Watching blurs. If you can't show the person for privacy or legal reasons, then don't show the person, show something else.

One of mine is how pictures of people in photos or on TV have their faces blurred. Now, I know the reason for this: it's protect their privacy. But that being the case, then why don't they show a picture of something else related to the subject matter, if not the subject itself? What's the point of showing a picture of a person, then blotting the person out? I've even seen selfies with all the face blurred out, leaving just a border round the face in focus. Or, I watch a TV documentary and all that I see is blurs. Watching blurs. If you can't show the person for privacy or legal reasons, then don't show the person, show something else.
I actually get a bit irritated by things like this. Particularly when they use an actor but show parts of the actor, like their hair, hands, clothes, sometimes mouth and then a shot from behind.

The problem as I see it is that the actor may resemble someone somewhere else who is completely unrelated but people may "jigsaw" the actors features and jump to conclusions. So they could unintentionally cause problems for someone else.

I'm sure they do this because some viewers will have some sort of melt down because they can't see something that hints at what they would usually see during an interview. But to me I think it's dumb to include this sort of thing.

Do you think our pet peeves increase with age? Are people on the spectrum more able to be upset about things that we see as inconvenient to our life. Are we just walking around summing up all the inconveniences because we are wired this way? I can get upset with street signs even.

Do you think our pet peeves increase with age? Are people on the spectrum more able to be upset about things that we see as inconvenient to our life. Are we just walking around summing up all the inconveniences because we are wired this way? I can get upset with street signs even.
I think I've lost some pet peeves and gained some as I've gotten older. I can get irritated by street signs too or logically contradictory advice. An example of something that irritates me that probably wouldn't have 20 years ago is this ridiculous UK PSA on TV. Recently we "solved" the crowded roads issue by getting rid of the "hard shoulder", a specific lane to pull into if your car begins to break down.

On the TV or sometimes YouTube, there's this dumb advert with two idiots dressed in fly suits as if stuck to a car windscreen singing "Go Left..." to the tune of "Go West". "If you break down go left at the next junction..."

Great advice, with one huge problem. How do you get to the next junction if your car breaks down?! If you break down, usually it's a case of you can coast along but not for long. That was the point of the special lane or hard shoulder we had, so you can always just carefully pull over the car while it's still rolling.

This sort of idiotic reasoning really irritates me.

On the technical front, I am never offered well-designed affordable products to enable conservation and independence. One example is that cars seldom carry 10% payload, when 50% should be average. They are working for the companies, not the customers, just hauling carefully cultivated images and fears while wrecking the climate.
Socially, I'm upset by the cancelling of the Nature/Nurture debate and its replacement with dogma. This led to chaos, like money going off the gold standard, or a division by zero getting slipped into an equation.

I really don't like when someone decides for someone else what counts as a problem. It can be minor like just dismissing the idea that it could be bad but often it's like there's some fault of your own to experience something negative where others don't. Needless to say when you're sensitive this is a common thing to get called out on so I very quickly stopped letting people know when I'm uncomfortable. Even now I only express it with select few people and only under specific circumstances. This was of course the goal of chastising me for it in the past, so that I wouldn't bother other people.
Bushy catapiller eyebrows that are in vogue, because the lady will have them except l keep staring at her eyebrows, just waiting for them to scat off her forehead. I mean l stare at eyebrows if l don't look at your eyes, so those brows look like they are just hibernating until 5:00 pm then they will be looking for dinner.
Big fan of noticable eyebrows here, natural ones at least. Rare case of a popular trend overlapping with my taste, neat. Hadn't noticed it become one. They are definitely distracting in a way so it's no surprise that if it's an unpleasant distraction you'd very much dislike them.

I really don't like when someone decides for someone else what counts as a problem. It can be minor like just dismissing the idea that it could be bad but often it's like there's some fault of your own to experience something negative where others don't. Needless to say when you're sensitive this is a common thing to get called out on so I very quickly stopped letting people know when I'm uncomfortable. Even now I only express it with select few people and only under specific circumstances. This was of course the goal of chastising me for it in the past, so that I wouldn't bother other people.

Big fan of noticable eyebrows here, natural ones at least. Rare case of a popular trend overlapping with my taste, neat. Hadn't noticed it become one. They are definitely distracting in a way so it's no surprise that if it's an unpleasant distraction you'd very much dislike them.
I can relate to this for sure! There's been a few times where I've had a problem with something and the first thing that happened with a certain group of people (people whose job it is to help) was that they tried to invalidate the problem. Then once they had spent a while trying to convince me my problems didn't exist, they for some inexplicable reason, thought I would feel better!

A lot of women are prone to this too, I suffer from Grumpy Old Man syndrome.

-People who don’t close things correctly. Then complain about them not being closed.
- People who use their disability as an excuse for bad behavior: “I’m like this because I am this”. It just not an excuse. Just makes you look more like a worse person.
- It is a rule here to stop at the crossing. It is often that there are a lot of people who do not stop at a crossing when it is obvious that a person is going to cross — they speed up on purpose. We have a right away to cross without waiting for a car to stop, because there is the expectation that the car must stop. For example: The road I live on, So many cars do not stop and it is only a matter of time when someone will have an accident because someone has not stopped.
- Filming on the phone for everything. I don't really use my phone but I don‘t understand why people cannot enjoy the moment without filming it. Or filming someone who is obviously distressed having a moment and then posting it on social media. Why?

OK this is a pet peeve that is so specific to my own life but it's still a pet peeve of mine: I don't like how my grandpa feels the need to tell me what he's eaten so far if I tell him something like 'I skipped breakfast this morning and haven't had anything to eat all day, so I'm gonna get some lunch.' He always feels the need to say something like 'Well all I had today was an English muffin.' or something.

I don't understand why he feels the need to tell me this. Him having eaten an English muffin or something else doesn't change the fact that I haven't eaten anything. And then when I tell him this, he gets annoyed and acts like I just told him to shut up.

Another (non-specific to my own life) pet peeve is people who leave shopping carts in the middle of the parking lot or whatever. ESPECIALLY when the cart(s) end up in the middle of a parking space, forcing people to have to get out of their car and move the cart out of the way because you were too lazy to put it back properly. As far as I'm concerned, there's only three instances where not putting the cart back in the corral is acceptable: 1) If another customer sees you putting away whatever you bought and asks if you're done with that cart and takes it to do their own shopping, 2) If the employee who's collecting the carts says 'I'll take that for you' and just takes your cart away, 3) If the parking lot you're in genuinely has no shopping cart corrals (but even then you should at least put it somewhere where it won't be bothering other people).

1675537288920.png

Could it be that you are both thinking "why are you telling me this?". Maybe he's wondering why you tell him that you didn't eat. But since you do, he has to reply and say something and what can he say.
It's very likely but I only say this in response to him asking me if I'd eaten yet and, at least from my own view, my response is just a response that doesn't need another response.

People who say “less” when the proper word is “fewer.” Even on NPR. Maybe especially on NPR.

There are less eggs in the stores now due to the avian flu epidemic.

NO!!!!

There are FEWER eggs in the stores now…

Drives me crazy every time I hear it.

In the easy-to-change department for me are those beeping reversing alarms on vehicles. Around here, it is usually on a digging machine that is working on a residential street all night, so it is totally unnecessary, but it greatly enlarges the sleepless zone. They even drive the operators nuts working in the middle of a field with no one else around. They were a good idea for tractor-trailers backing up, but now, there are cheap, effective camera rigs to let the drivers look behind.
Also, the artificial noise that electric vehicles make should be the sound of tires on gravel if they don't want an imitation engine.

It's very likely but I only say this in response to him asking me if I'd eaten yet and, at least from my own view, my response is just a response that doesn't need another response.
Older people, it's good that he is eating. Once they loose interest in eating, that's a bad sign. I noticed that with my grandmother. Just be nice, and show a little respect, say hey great. Hope you enjoyed that. Eating is one of the few joys left for older people since there are so many other things they can't do. Just an idea.

My pet peeve are busybodies who feel a need to insert themselves in my life. You aren't needed, mind your own busy, back off, get boundaries, respect my boundaries, get a life THAT doesn't include my boring life, and a quick correction for YOU, last l checked, the universe does not rotate around you, l feel horrible l have to inform you, but you're delusional if you think l was waiting for you to open your piehole and decide to insert yourself into my life.

That felt so great, if l could only tell people this, but society prefers masking.

Mom insisting on pouring the oil down the sink.….apparently it’s “dangerous” to argue against it. Blah.

New Threads

Top Bottom