• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Personal Dreams You Have

FromEquestria2LA

Hey, all. You know, we all have our personal dreams, and sometimes we worry about whether they will ever get fulfilled or not. Let's talk about it here.

One dream I had was that Seattle would get an NHL team. I started to follow ice hockey in 2006, and I was surprised that Seattle didn't have such a team.

Fast forward to today, 15 years later, and the dream has now been realized. It's amazing and nice that I never gave up on that dream. Now, if only Vancouver, BC had an MLB team, and I could visit Japan.....

For me, I gave up on dreams about 20 years ago. Things like relationships and careers just didn't pan out the way I had hoped or intended.

Life continually gets in the way. With my NT brother coming up with the same conclusion. :oops:

Last edited:
When I was single digit age, I dreamed of being an electronics design engineer when I grew up. That dream became totally dashed when I found school, including the required math impossible for me. Fast forward to the present, without any conscious planning, I ended up retiring as a senior electronics design engineer.

Never think it can't happen. Even if it seems totally impossible. For me, the "impossible" turned out to be roadblocks that I just went around. Never had a plan to do that, it just happened simply because I kept leaning in that direction. My obsession was my education, not school. Apparently, a relentless obsession can actually achieve more than one might imagine.

I wanted to be exactly like my sister when I was little. I also wanted to be a QVC host when I was six. Now I want to be on RuPaul’s Drag Race and make it to the Snatch Game and win the challenge by impersonating Yoko Ono. I also want to open a museum that displays my massive music box and doll collections with info about each piece.

I want to live humbly as the world’s most well known Xbox achievement whore, overtaking smrnov with vast ease and making it look easy, then surround myself with gamer groupies and trash hotel rooms just like a rockstar.

I simply want to live in my own place (apartment would be fine, even preferable since I don’t need that much space and don’t want more than necessary) and have a job I can support myself with. Unfortunately that may well not be much more realistic than my dream of flying on my own two wings (which I at least occasionally get to do in actual dreams, and feel it properly, which is the main thing).

Always wanted to be someone who could help others. As a leader or helper. Also a pilot. Not sure how any of this comes together. But, one day I believe it will happen.

I also have an impossible dream. One that will become my way of life. A dream for now but, reality eventually.

Unfortunately that may well not be much more realistic than my dream of flying on my own two wings (which I at least occasionally get to do in actual dreams, and feel it properly, which is the main thing).

I wouldn't lose hope in that. Given what I have seen and learned there is a time and place for everything. Along with far stranger truths.

When I was 5 my family was invited to go sailing by a work associate of my step father's. I never forgot the experience but we moved to Colorado a few years later and my mom would simply say "Good luck with that. You have to be very wealthy." We were poor and I believed my mother so I never persued learning to sail and I almost forgot abot it.
Flash forward 30 years and I still lived in Colorado and was now divorced. I am with a man I am dating and we are fighting. He angerly asked me "What do you want to do?". We were passing a high mountain lake and there is a single sail boat on the lake (with blue, striped sails). I point to the boat and say "I want to do that. I want to sail".

I broke up with the angry man and met someone new. We were instant friends! Love of my life! He invited me to his house and there, on the wall, is a photograph of that lake I had passed a few months before with the very same boat I had seen from the highway. It turned out to be my new loves boat!
10 years later, I know how to sail! My husband are on our 5th and largest boat together. We live on the boat, it is our home. I have even sailed down the Pacific on a catamaran for 1200 miles. I am still not a very good sailor on the open ocean. But I am doing it anyway!

Never, ever, ever give up on your dreams no matter how impossible they seem. The very first step in aqcuierng your dream is to believe you can have it!

Yes, @dragonfire42, this goes for you too! If you just think your dreams are impossible you have already made them impossible.

When I was 5 my family was invited to go sailing by a work associate of my step father's. I never forgot the experience but we moved to Colorado a few years later and my mom would simply say "Good luck with that. You have to be very wealthy." We were poor and I believed my mother so I never persued learning to sail and I almost forgot abot it.
Flash forward 30 years and I still lived in Colorado and was now divorced. I am with a man I am dating and we are fighting. He angerly asked me "What do you want to do?". We were passing a high mountain lake and there is a single sail boat on the lake (with blue, striped sails). I point to the boat and say "I want to do that. I want to sail".

I broke up with the angry man and met someone new. We were instant friends! Love of my life! He invited me to his house and there, on the wall, is a photograph of that lake I had passed a few months before with the very same boat I had seen from the highway. It turned out to be my new loves boat!
10 years later, I know how to sail! My husband are on our 5th and largest boat together. We live on the boat, it is our home. I have even sailed down the Pacific on a catamaran for 1200 miles. I am still not a very good sailor on the open ocean. But I am doing it anyway!

Never, ever, ever give up on your dreams no matter how impossible they seem. The very first step in aqcuierng your dream is to believe you can have it!

Yes, @dragonfire42, this goes for you too! If you just think your dreams are impossible you have already made them impossible.

Would you write a thread detailing the sailing trip?

My dream for my whole life was simple. I wanted to train dogs and I wanted to save homeless dogs from shelters and I wanted to learn everything I possibly could about dogs and make a positive impact on their lives and make a difference in the world of both purebred and mixed breed dogs.

When I was a kid I didn’t think I would ever achieve anything significant. I was abandoned by my birth parents and spent a lot of my developmental years in foster care. Unbelievable horrible and traumatic things happened to me and I had a lot of health issues. I was with a family for a while and it didn’t work out. My self esteem hit rock bottom and I just wanted to give up. And I didn’t think I’d ever even have a dog, never mind show them or train them.
My parents adopted me when I was a teenager. It was an instant connection and they really understood me.
I wanted an education. I finished high school as a straight A student and went to college.
Almost 10 years later I am still struggling through college on and off (mostly for social reasons) but I’ve accomplished so much.
I learned how to play the drums and got really good at it. I started making art and photography and designing things. I taught myself a lot of skills.
Most importantly, my parents had dogs, and I got my first two dogs of my own almost immediately after I was adopted. We adopted them too, and they were adult dogs, and Dogo Argentinos who are in the Pitbull family, so no one wanted them. But I wanted them. Coco lived to be almost 17 and Dante lived to be 14.

I started competing in dog shows and dog sports with my parents’ dogs and my dogs when I was in high school. At first I was inexperienced, not confident, and terrible. Lol. I lost all the time.
By the time I was 16 I was winning competitions a lot and my dogs were earning lots of titles. When I was 18 I moved up from Junior Handling into actual competition. It was scary but I learned to have confidence in myself and my dogs and we did really well.

I got my professional dog training certification a few years ago and I’ve been working with dogs and their owners trying to improve their lives. I don’t have good people skills lol but dogs make me feel confident.

Now I am able to live on my own with a bit of assistance and I’m taking care of four dogs by myself. My mental health is still struggling but I’m doing a lot better. My physical health has its ups and downs but I’m getting through it. I have a service dog (in training) now and I feel so much more alive. I don’t think I’ll ever fully get over the traumatic events in my life but I’ve learned not to obsess about it. And I’ll finish college when I’m ready.

Now my dream is to win the Westminster Dog Show. Probably unrealistic lol but the show is judging the dog more than the handler, and I have some exceptional dogs. I really hope I can make that a reality someday, even if it’s when I’m 50. But if that never happens I won’t be too upset because I’ve already accomplished my main goals. :)

I wouldn't lose hope in that. Given what I have seen and learned there is a time and place for everything. Along with far stranger truths.

Thank you for the support. I am doing what I can to be as independent as possible, just have to learn to be patient when it seems like I’m making no progress.

I want to be the first person to join the 27 club of rockstars at the age of 270.

Seriously, though, I just want sobriety from alcohol at this point. I have it for over a month at this point, but my body still craves it big time.

New Threads

Top Bottom