• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The only "official" test I've taken (the WAIS-III), my individual scores were almost all over the place. This test was part of my diagnosis back in high school - had no idea why I was given one at the time, I just went along with it. I did well on the verbal tests, not so well on the part that tests your social knowledge, OK on a few tests, and then there were these...
The-Block-Design-Test-BDT-69.pngTwo-examples-of-matrices-like-those-in-the-Ravens-test-A-Example-of-an-item.jpg

That's the block design test and Raven's matrices. The block design test was one of the highest scores I had on the WAIS-III (if not the highest, I think), and I believe I took a variant of the Raven's test back in middle school and (I think) as part of the WAIS-III, both of which I also did great on. Don't know, it's been years now, but I'm still curious as to what the hell being good with a bunch of lines and shapes is supposed to measure. Strengths, right? Never mind some the other tests I took...

...and to make clear, I'm not a multi-millionaire or a snob, just another gorilla looking for opinions or answers here.

Last edited:
I don't know what that test measures. Maybe it explains why I can load twice as many dirty dishes in the dishwasher than my husband?

I don't know what that test measures. Maybe it explains why I can load twice as many dirty dishes in the dishwasher than my husband?

That's a trick we men use, we pretend we are bad at something and then we don't have to do it, someone else does it because they think we suck at it. ;) It's as simple as it is clever. :D

Last edited:
...my individual scores were almost all over the place.
That is common for autistics.
The block design test was one of the highest scores I had on the WAIS-III (if not the highest, I think), and I believe I took a variant of the Raven's test back in middle school and (I think) as part of the WAIS-III, both of which I also did great on.
Autistics are known to usually be better at the block design test.
Non-verbal IQ tests, like Ravens, are considered to be more accurate for autistics than those that are predominantly verbal. WAIS includes non-verbal tests (like the aforementioned Block Design test) and verbal tests.
Don't know, it's been years now, but I'm still curious as to what the hell being good with a bunch of lines and shapes is supposed to measure. Strengths, right?
Yes, [non-verbal & spatial reasoning] are strengths, in certain types of jobs, for example.

The capacity to learn feels more valuable than inherent intelligence to me.
That is pretty much the definition of intelligence. Many people mistake knowledge for intelligence but it is really a measure of how clever someone is (whether they have much or little knowledge/education under their belt).

I think it is very common for someone with asd and a somewhat high IQ to feel that way.
My dad got diagnosed with autism about 2 years ago. Before the diagnosis he had struggled at work for years, but multiple burnouts. He always saw solutions to problems others could not see. And even when he explained them they did not understand. This frustrated him a lot. The same goes for actually helping solve the problems. Others would exclude themselves from it and he would dive deep into it. Frustrated he was the only one doing it. But at the same time, wanting to do everything so he knew it was done well.
Now that he is diagnosed he might still have those thoughts and feelings, but he understands it is not them being stupid. It is them not being able to think the way he can.

I also see this in my son who I suspect is autistic. He is a little behind the norm with his speech so he is working on that with someone at school. When testing his word knowledge (meaning) and amount of words he know he scores with an IQ of 130 something. But when he has to apply the words in sentences he scores around 100 or slightly below. Which for me indicate a form of asd. But he is not tested for that yet. Whenever there is a problem he knows the solution to he is so very frustrated other peole do not get it. While he himself can struggle with basic things other children pick up easily.

If I take an IQ test myself I also score between 125 and 135 usually. The range comes from the amount of language related questions. If more mathematical and logical questions are included I score higher. I also often get frustrated when other people do not understand my solutions. And don`t even listen to them. But I know it is not because they are stupid. They just can`t think in the same mannen as I do. Which is still very frustrating at times.

New Threads

Top Bottom