• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People not getting what you say/mean does not necessarily mean they are less intelligent so much as not understanding as you speak something like a different language.
That is the way I would describe it also.
The things most people talk about or find the most important in their lives
are completely different to mine.
Common things people want to talk about such as romance, marriage, kids, grandkids, sports, politics, religion or the latest fads. I can't relate to.

Finding someone who is interested in talking about things like the latest in science,
space and physic discoveries, medicine, nature studies, archeology, ancient cultures,
philosophy, parapsychology and other things that are my interests isn't easy in everyday life.
So, it could be a difference in what they find interesting vs what I do.

A good question would be, do the majority of people with a genius IQ find they are drawn to different interests and a different lifestyle, making it seem they are speaking a different language?

The one thing l can point out, is when people stare at u in awe, because you thought on demand, or your logic just slammed them and they compliment you, when you just think doesn't everybody connect dots, like really, how can you not see the schematic? It's kinda of funny. Then you shut down because you realize it maybe held against you, and black helicopters may have you in their sight with a couple of snipers. And you learn to downplay your intelligence because in the dumbing down of society you won't stick out. You honestly learn to lay low and you learn not to be a leader. No. I am not smart, and no, l am not a leader. Please let me be seen as a nobody, because l don't trust the government in the place l live.

Last edited:
The problem is that everyone is expected to be somewhat average at everything. We excel at certain things, and fail miserably at others. It’s really a societal issue, not a question of IQ

Albert Einstein discovered the theory of relativity. E=MC squared, right? I read a true story that if he was on the stairs and someone talked to him half way, when the conversation was over he would ask if he was going up or down when they stopped him. It was because if he was going down, then it was time to go down and have lunch. If he was going up, then he had already eaten and it was time to get back to work.

Sound familiar?

Smart and not smart are relative terms and they encompass a person’s entire ability to learn and grow. But the dumbest of our society are so determined to put a number on it that the math never adds up!

Believe in yourself. I feel that those on the autism spectrum can represent a threat to the powers to be. We think outside of the conventional thinking.

Are other people really have less iq than me or is this just another "thing" of being an aspie? I excessively feel like all the other people are bunch of gorillas that can somehow talk my language. I surely can't control this feeling, it is annoying and it is making my life harder.
That is why people join Mensa (if they qualify). We "get" each other, but we still disagree with each other as much as any other assemblage of people. (It is very much like here, in that way.)

Cognitive disability is not an intrinsic feature of autism. But it is a co-morbid condition that has become all-too-common after 1979.
My iq is over 160. Most likely don't even have autism. I am just too intelligent to be functional and be able to socialize properly.
So many gifties --but not all-- have asynchronous development. If one's social underdevelopment is significant enough, it meets the criteria for ASD. Having both is called "twice exceptional" [a.k.a. 2e]. (In fact, ASD1 is more common among gifties than it is among meanies.)

Last edited:
It would help if instead of thinking of people as a "bunch of gorillas" you saw them as just people who are different to you.

People aren't necessarily as dumb as you think. Most of their interactions is small talk, and typically superficial in nature. People often don't reach their full potential. They are capable of deeper thought, but deliberately keep things superficial: small talk. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with IQ, it's being social. They save deeper conversations for those they are close to. Once you get to know people, they may surprise you.

In contrast, people on the spectrum don't engage in small talk as much, tend to get straight to the point or analyse a lot more, often have different interests to most people. So the way they interact with others is different. This often gives the impression of intelligence, but doesn't mean that they are necessarily more intelligent than the average person. It's just the way they interact that is different. As a whole, (I have read) people on the spectrum have a similar IQ range to neurotypical people.

Last edited:
Giftedness, even without autism, is another form of neuro-diversity, just like [sinistrality] is. Being gifted without autism is the neurological equivalent of being ambidextrous; the best of both worlds.

I first learned that I was neuro-diverse [gifted] when I was 6yo. I had a lot of time to get used to it. My mother & I thought that that alone accounted for my social awkwardness.
I did not receive my ASD diagnosis until I was 45. It provided "the rest of the story," but I already had half of the story before that.

If someone is above average or gifted intelligence no matter who you are speaking to you must be able to covert the sheer complexity in your head and convert into terms/language that the other parties can relate to it and understand. That is an art. (like stated above)
For example are you talking to a dog, 5 year old, teenager, college professor, doctor …etc you should be able shift, appropriate and conduct your language to cater to the opposing party based off their vernacular prowess. This is where reading people is paramount hence “the art.”

Are other people really have less iq than me or is this just another "thing" of being an aspie? I excessively feel like all the other people are bunch of gorillas that can somehow talk my language. I surely can't control this feeling, it is annoying and it is making my life harder.
Innerly, i don't want to waste my time talking with someone; trying to explain myself or maybe defending myself. Sometimes i'm like, "is it really worth it?". I think it's easy to relate, you can get what i'm trying to say and how is it making my life harder.
What do you think?

I think you probably overestimate the gap between your intelligence and others'. In the same way they might not recognise the intelligence of a ND, you may well be underestimating their intelligence because you can't see it. Like the apocryphal ships unseen by the native populations.

Whether I deem it useful or not (because god knows a load of my intelligence servers little practical use) I've always been amazed at the different types of intelligence people display. My partner, for instance, can spot people's motivations in seconds. It's not perfect, but she can just name, in detail, someone's background, what they are hoping for, what they fear, what they want, after a minute of contact. It's like a super power. Like a REALLY striking depth of reading. This often gets the EQ label, which in turn is often conflated with general things like "I like watching people" or "I'm interested in what makes people tick" which makes it sound a bit average, but it really is an intelligence that I (and I suspect you) lack entirely. I would be hurt if she thought of me "what a gorilla this guy is, he can't even read people's motivations".

And yes, I'm super envious.

We're all different, best not to look down on people, lest they look down on you too.

First Im SIGNIFICANTLY below average on all criteria's in professional IQ tests & have been tested most of my life frequently (latest was in 2010) yet believe it not as i do also have friends on & the Mensa levels. Im perfectly able to both talk to them on all levels of discussions / conversations and subjects Incl science / politics etc.... And even (gasp) having them LISTEN and LEARN from this "gorilla as you refer us under, you're " levels " i even have put reel professionals (in my case psychiatrists and docs (in the psychologic department) in their place.

Furthermore, it is a well-known scientific fact that for us on the spectrum or with added other NP diagnosis IQ tests are NOT able to be used as the majority of IQ tests are in fact based on Kognitive / and also Adaptive grounds on which we on the spectrum and or other NP diagnosis usually are under average in this particular area. Not to mention that with said diagnosis it makes it impossible to accurately measure any IQ level in an accurate measure. So, it can't be used as a Medically approved or accepted tool to determan IQ levels on us with NP diagnosis.

If i were to go with my IQ levels & added the levels of my 2 primary NP diagnosis and the gazillion Co morbids / Learning disabilities (and as i have been tested throughout my childhood to last 20010 they have found even more NP diagnosis to add to the list every time i got tested) i wouldn't be able to live as i do / had the job i actually had (Note not a high end job but nevertheless a demanding job)/ nor most definitely being able to be in here and managing to both understand and also being able to having intelligent or deep conversations as i actually am in a wide diversity of subjects. BUT yet here i am.

Last with all due respect i personally find it most hurtful & highly dis respective when someone believe they are more worth than other less " gifted " persons just because they may have been " gifted" with higher intelligence than others. If those with greater intelligence (note NOT IQ) could rather than thinking they are better than others try to understand and help than this world but be a better place.

Last edited:
Money can also be seen as just a tool. I would still like to have a million dollars.

My IQ is 140 (which is meaningless really) and I do have an issues with speaking to people. I sometimes stutter and stammer because I get very nervous in doing so. As I grew older, my reasoning for further withdrawal was I could not relate...nor do I care about meaningless banter, "Hot, isn't it?", "Did you see the game last night?", "My Sammy is so awesome...". I cannot feign interest in something or someone if it doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather scrape a fork against a plate than subject myself to it.

(In fact, ASD1 is more common among gifties than it is among meanies.)
It is. I took part in a lot of math competitions and similar things. I would even bet that everyone is somewhere on the spectrum there. I saw that in myself too, I saw that I could be considered a "weird" and "a bit crazy" person, because I had disorganized thought patterns and didn't seem to have the instincts to behave like other people, got into trouble at school for misbehaviour. But I considered it a part of being gifted, I think I wouldn't be able to do what I can do without certain filters not existing or if I wasn't a nonlinear thinker. I haven't met a single person who is gifted in math and similar subjects who isn't at least a bit "weird". And the more normal ones are ones who show up only at one competition or two, not most of them. I guess they're happy with their normie life not filled with equations though. I couldn't be happy without being a nerd.

I first learned that I was neuro-diverse [gifted] when I was 6yo. I had a lot of time to get used to it. My mother & I thought that that alone accounted for my social awkwardness.
Yeah, I could do math without learning it, in preschool. And learned to read and write before going to school too.

So many gifties --but not all-- have asynchronous development.
I received a similar diagnosis at some point as a young adult due to something that looked like depression.

Being gifted without autism is the neurological equivalent of being ambidextrous; the best of both worlds.
This what one psychiatrist said about me, but... yeah, like, it's not that I have trouble understsnding people, I don't, but the sensory issues, burnouts, meltdowns, shutdowns, it's still there. So I consider myself to be a successful experiment made by mother nature, cartain autistic traits blended in well with other elements and created something good and with average social skills or even good social skills, because I'm skilled with people and empathetic. But what's going on under the hood, is still going on and I struggle to feel fine without taking it into account. I have needs that neurotypical people don't have. Such as wearing ear plugs, fidgeting and avoiding eye contact.

I did not receive my ASD diagnosis until I was 45. It provided "the rest of the story," but I already had half of the story before that.

But back to the original topic and other thoughts, tbh I didn't expect the IQ result to be "I'm sorry, our test is too lame for you" (btw it was a part of a general psychological evaluation), I expected around 130, I don't feel *that* smart and I can get on easily with people who are nerds and/or have degrees such as law, medicine, math - so more difficult ones. I would expect a larger gap in understanding with people for someone with e.g. 150 IQ, because apparently you can get on within 15 IQ points from your own - that's what I've read somewhere and I can still get on with people who had IQ results like 115.

In high school, it might be easier to get on with people who have similar interests. And it was what worked for me, I made friends through common interests and still do, the mainstream crowd wasn't and isn't a place I belong to. I have had some friends who wouldn't be considered smart, but we had something common. So I'd say probably it's a matter of common ground such as interests and outlook on life, style of interaction.

New Threads

Top Bottom