• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People on autism spectrum live 18 fewer years

Mia

V.I.P Member
clear.gif

People on autism spectrum live 18 fewer years
The leading causes of death are suicide and epilepsy, both of which are exceedingly more common among people with autism, researchers say.
clear.gif

clear.gif

Questions of self-worth often start early for people with autism and often are compounded by other conditions including anxiety and depression, which researchers say may be the cause for suicide being the leading cause of death among people with the disorder.

STOCKHOLM, Sweden, March 21 (UPI) -- People with autism spectrum disorder live about 18 fewer years than average, and the leading cause of early death among adults on the spectrum is suicide, according to a recent study in Sweden.

Researchers suspect the shorter lifespan is a combination of health and social factors, but said whether ASD itself is the cause of early death is unknown.

With or without the intellectual disabilities that often accompany ASD, researchers said bullying and questions of self-worth often start early in life for people on the spectrum. Previous research has shown between 30 percent and 50 percent.

"This new research confirms the true scale of the hidden mortality crisis in autism," Jon Spiers, chief executive of Autistica, which published a report on the Swedish study, said in a press release. "The inequality in outcomes for autistic people shown in this data is shameful. We cannot accept a situation where many autistic people will never see their 40th birthday."

For the study, published in the British Journal of Psychology, researchers compared medical data on 27,122 people with an ASD diagnosis and 2,672,185 without a disorder in Sweden collected as part of the National Patient Register and the Cause of Death Register by the country's national health service.

People with ASD had a 2.56-fold increased risk of death compared to those without a diagnosis, in men the odds were worse than women and both low- and high-functioning people were at greater risk, though lower function increased the risk of death.

Compared to an average age of death of 70.20 years for those without ASD, the average age of death among people with ASD and no intellectual disability was 53.87 years, while for people with ASD and intellectual disability it was 39.5 years.

In the study, adults with ASD and no learning disability were nine times more likely than the general population to commit suicide. Part of this, researchers found, is that 70 percent of ASD patients have a mental health disorder, such as anxiety or depression, and as many as 40 percent have two disorders.

The second leading cause of death among ASD patients is epilepsy, which between 20 percent and 40 percent have.

"Across every major cause of death, mortality risk is increased in autism, but early deaths due to epilepsy and suicide are particularly, and unacceptably, high," researchers at Autistica write in their report. "We cannot and should not accept that many people on the autism spectrum will die 30 years before the typical population."

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2016...m-spectrum-live-18-fewer-years/7271458562173/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...18-years-less-than-everyone-else-study-finds/

Although people will not like this article, it rings true personally. It's something that we need to consider, and to work towards changing. Realize that it's easier to ignore the high rates of suicide among people on the the spectrum, but it's evident here and elsewhere that depression is quite high. Do any of you have opinions, solutions, things that have helped you cope with depression? If so, please indicate them here. Along with professional help, there can be solutions.

Suicide is Britain's leading killer of young adult males, and given the challenges we often face it's no big surprise. I've experiences suicidal ideation on multiple occasions and I'm only 25.

In Canada, especially among teenager's in indigenous communities, suicide rates are extremely high. It's a horrendous problem here, isolation, substance abuse and the desire among teenagers in these communities to be part of the world, they feel they are missing out on, has become a national sadness. Television and the loss of traditional ways of living, has led to teens living between cultures but not being part of either one. There is a connection here, with autism and isolation.

Last edited:
This post hits close to home, because I deal with suicidal ideation on a regular basis. Its like I'm convinced I'm gonna die young, and alone. I hope someone comes up with some way to combat these trends. Personally, I think we need to come together as a community to support each other, not just online but in our local communities as well. Knowing that we are not alone, and we do have worth to each other is absolutely essential. I would not be here today if it weren't for my good, but few local friends who treat me like family. To them, I AM family, and that takes the sting out of not belonging anywhere else.

the desire among teenagers in these communities to be part of the world, they feel they are missing out on, has become a national sadness. Television and the loss of traditional ways of living, has led to teens living between cultures but not being part of either one.

The first sentence I can personally relate to, the second is just interesting and possibly partially true.

Compared to an average age of death of 70.20 years for those without ASD, the average age of death among people with ASD and no intellectual disability was 53.87 years,

I know the top one not to be true (come on, really?!?!), so I wonder about the second despite accepting the truth of the greater risk to suicide (someone I know on this forum lost someone he/she knew just a few weeks ago because he committed suicide).

Average life expectancy also significantly depends on location. In the US, it is about 80 years, not 70.

It's highest in Switzerland at almost 83.

So. All Aspies should move to Switzerland. They have a small population so we can easily take over simply by voting, and live longer in the process. And maybe learn yodeling. Even if only 1 in 100 people is autistic that is still 70 Million people. Switzerland only has 8 Million.

Last edited:
I was really wondering about that 70.2 average life span for Aspies, particularly since I turned 70 in January.

If both of you Tom & Hopeless Aspie want to be specific about this here are the numbers:

This is from the World factbook 2015 the CIA government library: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

United States life expectancy is : 79.68 years
Canada: 81.76 years
Switzerland: 82.50 years
United Kingdom: 80.54 years

The paper listed above is from a study that was published in the British Journal of Psychology, this was the method they used:

Odds ratios (ORs) were calculated for a population-based cohort of ASD probands (n = 27 122, diagnosed between 1987 and 2009) compared with gender-, age- and county of residence-matched controls (n = 2 672 185).

Please remember though, that there have to be more studies to compare this one to, for it to stand the test of time. It is at best a proffered theory from a long term study.

Last edited:
I can relate to this aswell, i remember when i was a kid probably my early teens i told my mother that i dont want to get old and im not going to live past 30. I didnt know i had AS at that point and the first time i self harmed was when i was 14. My perspective on life is different now and its mostly positive, i get depressed now and then but I battle through it.

My daughter is 7, she is an aspie, she had been asking questions about life and death since she could talk. Ill never forget her saying- "I don't like the other humans, they're mean." When she was 3 or so. Now often when she has a meltdown she will say that everyone hates her, she would like to leave this world. I remember how that felt. I just keep letting her know that I am here, I know how it feels, and that I love her. It's very heartbreaking.

New Threads

Top Bottom