• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

People don't believe or appreciate honesty

Adoption studies are all about this. The best example I have heard of was how singer/songwriter Joni Mitchel was young, poor, pregnant, and gave her daughter up for adoption. The daughter was raised in a family which valued convention and favored practical over artistic concerns. They discouraged the child from expressing herself through art, and would deny her feelings of “difference” from earliest childhood by telling her she was their biological child.

Upon adulthood, her adoptive brother felt “she needed to be told,” and told her. She managed to track down her biological mother. But it was a rocky life and rocky relationship, because her adoptive family believed in the Blank Slate, and this simply is not true.

They have been tracking down and isolating such genetics, and now this can be (mostly) detected via brain scan. A doctor/scientist wrote a book about it: he was in charge of the study and was surprised that his own scan had been put in the “psychopath” category.

However, like your son, he had been raised with love, taught to channel his desires into paths that would give back for himself and others, and had chosen a scientific career where he cared for people, as he was best able. He was a credit to society despite those genetics which would make it so easy to be destructive and miserable.

I think we have far more of these psychopath genetics that we acknowledge. Incidence is considered 1-3% currently, but I think that only counts the people who did not have the benefit of patient, devoted, upbringings like the sons in this comment.

We get our genes. Then our formative years are spent learning to use them for good; or battle the anger that comes from frustrating our true nature.

...continued in next post...

I know the book you speak of. I have it sitting on my bookshelf. It's called THE PSYCHOPATH INSIDE and it's written by a neuroscientist called James Fallon. I've read it and one day, I think my son will too, as his ambition is to be a neuroscientist, coincidentally.

New Threads

Top Bottom