• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Parents Looking into Buying Me Oils That I Don't Want...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are supposed to be no active substances in the product... but for some reason it's said to affect your mind/state/anxiety?

There are clearly mind/brain altering substances left in the product, or it's snake oil. In other words it's basicly medicine if it does work, which means that just giving it to your autistic kid all on your own is pretty stupid and foolish.

You are being ridiculously over the top with your anti-Cannabis stance... but whatever. I live in the weed capital of the world and I never touched the stuff myself. I don't even need to promise anything to myself... I just don't see the point drugging my brain to the point of being total moron for a few hours.

Before trying it you have no clue how this will affect your brain, you can become someone totally different. Yea, you are anxious now... but you might be like "Lalalala getting hit by a car is no big deal lalalala" after taking it and then you'll be worse off than a little anxious. Excessive anxiety can also be handled by simply calming yourself down, I've done it multiple times in some situations where I would normally go nuts but instead decided to remain calm and work myself out of the mess.

So if OP doesn't think he needs it, then who has the right to tell him that he should? He's not a schizophrenic or a danger to others as far as I can see.

If you don't want to take it, don't take it. Tell them upfront and if they don't listen then let your parents waste their money.

Cannabis legal in UK = won't happen.

For various reasons.

Medicinal cannabis products are already legal in the UK under license.

As to regulated sale/growth of the buds/plants - we'll see. Prohibition creates criminals that the Police can't keep up with. Decriminalisation will save any government a fortune in law enforcement and generate taxes that will mainly be paid by the poorest in society - even a notoriously penny-pinching Tory government that have been steadily reducing Police budgets for 8 years. Time will tell...

I'm hugely anti-drug, but I would be fine about using CBD oil, as it may be derived from cannabis, but has the TCH removed which makes you high, it's legal and approved for medical use in many countries and is not the same as smoking cannabis, It does not have the same combination of active ingredients, so not the same drug. So I think that you can allow yourself to at least try it.

Now tobacco smoking, that's legal but something I'd never want to do.

Does CBD cure schizophrenia? I hadn’t heard that...I don’t think so or it would be big news.
I think it just takes the edge off anxiety and pain, without the high.
Heaven forbid anyone take something that gives euphoria.

Does CBO cure schizophrenia? I hadn’t heard that...I don’t think so or it would be big news.

There is interest in CBD's use as an antipsychotic, haven't looked much into the research but here are a couple of things from the first page of search results I got:

A critical review of the antipsychotic effects of cannabidiol: 30 years of a translational investigation. - PubMed - NCBI

Marijuana Compound Treats Schizophrenia with Few Side Effects: Clinical Trial

My parents are looking into buying me oils that I don't want. It is against a promise to myself, and it already tries to "solve" a problem I don't really have. My parents are considering buying some oils that are basically WEED extracts minus the chemicals that make you high. Also, I am 15, if you are wondering. They said that it would help me sleep and make me less irritable.. However, I have made a ZERO EXCEPTION promise to myself that if I end up using weed or a product of the plant it is from, cannabis, then I'd essentially ground myself. Basically, no videogames (even bottom-of-the-Steam-barrel types of games), no talking to anybody on Discord (my girlfriend included), no watching YouTube videos, no making YouTube videos, no watching TV, no soda, I'll make myself listen to Autotuned pop music and/or classical music instead of hard rock or heavy metal (but only when I am working on schoolwork), I won't allow myself to go onto these forums, no junk food, BASICALLY 0 FUN FOR AN ENTIRE MONTH! It doesn't matter how I end up taking it. If I take it, then it doesn't matter, I'd still ground myself. Besides, I am not actually as irritable as they think I might be, and I sleep just fine most of the time. I just have to make sure I don't have any unused energy in my system, take some melatonin, put some Vetiver in my diffuser, put on lighter rock songs such as Led Zeppelin's Stairway to heaven, write down any thoughts and ideas in my notebook as needed, and then I'll just sleep the perfect amount I need. I also don't really need that much sleep to feel refreshed in the morning, so, yeah. As in the irritability department, some the non-weed-based oils my mom already has in the cupboard do that as well, or even better than, that weed-based crap my parents are thinking of getting me. I'm unsure of how to tell them not to even researching it without them telling me to "rethink" my decisions, since it would be a waste of time and (if they end up purchasing it) money that they can use on something else. If they end up acquiring any, I might even just dump out the cup of water they're gonna put a drop of it in and tell them to just give me the medicine I usually take. Also, my dad's coworker told him that he has a daughter that is also on the spectrum. However, her case is more severe than mine and she is 20, two huge factors of "it might not even be worth it for any reason, basically." I'm a man of my word and, I'm sticking to my promise as much as possible and no matter what anybody says to change my mind. I also promised my girlfriend I'll make 150% sure. I wouldn't be able to go without a month without talking to you without losing sanity, so make this promise a sort of two-in-one special, if that's think of that. I don't want my parents to waste money on something for me that they say would solve a problem that isn't actually there, and I might not even take it in the first place; And, if I did take it, I wouldn't let myself have fun for an entire month. What do you guys think of this. Also, I wasn't sure if I should post this in the PDD-NOS threads, since that is my specific diagnoses, or this. However, since this topic has a scientific kind of nature to it, I just posted it here.
I'm going to say this as simply as possible.

Humans always got those oils, throughout the last 3 million years or so, by eating the plant, eating the animals that ate the plant, and otherwise using the plant.

Plants have been producing cannabinoids and cannabinols for at least 3 million years, at least back to the beginnings of the Silurian period.

If they were not beneficial, do you not think that they would have ceased to exist?

They are an essential part of our biology, as evidenced by our having receptors for them, and unique uses for them in the body.
(See "endocannabinoid system")
It appears that restoring the natural balance of these oils has profound, far reaching, and highly variable beneficial effects, on a vast array of "afflictions".
These oils that you speak of have provided immense relief for me, throughout my life, without changing "me", or who I am.
I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Outlawing hemp in the U.S. and most of the western world around 1937 removed these essential oils from our diets, the diets of our livestock, and most certainly affected any other uses.
Given the sudden proliferation of a host of ailments and diseases around that time, it is not unreasonable to consider the virtual outlawing of cannabinoids and cannabinols as instrumental in these disease's causes.

7-8,000 years ago, by the evidence found, the ancient Scythians were regularly burning the plant on bonfires(ahem).

Recent legalization trends are allowing these oils to be reintroduced to our biologies and diets.

While it is admirable that you feel adamant about abstaining from "drugs", in this case it is illogical, ill-conceived, and ill-advised.

Think of the larger picture of those plants evolving naturally beside us, or being placed here for us.

We all "know" how "bad" cholesterol is for us, right?
Consider that cholesterol is the single most important nutrient for any child, in utero or otherwise, 'til the age of 7 yrs.
Why? Our brains and nervous systems are made of it.
It is also used, past that age, for nervous system and brain repair and maintenance.
Without it, we would be dead in a very short time.

It's a good thing that they didn't outlaw this "bad substance".

Indeed, the outlawing of hemp had it's origins in corporate interest, in making money, among other selfish, greedy reasons.

In considering oxidative stress, and the damage caused by oxidation in the human body, perhaps we should look toward outlawing oxygen.

I was once as idealistic as you, with similar extreme views. Time has a way of educating us and providing a more rounded and encompassing look at things.

Instead of looking for a "personality" that you like(ego shopping), I suggest studying all that you can, from every angle possible, and letting your personality work itself out as a result of the knowledge you gain, as opposed to picking an "ego" that you like, and then trying to find information to support it.

"Insensibly, one begins to twist the facts to fit the theory, rather than twisting the theory to fit the facts."

Didn't mean for this to sound like a rant, or a rebuke. Just know that you should never adopt an unchangeable attitude, as you render growth impossible.

May you be well.

sidd

I'm going to say this as simply as possible.

Humans always got those oils, throughout the last 3 million years or so, by eating the plant, eating the animals that ate the plant, and otherwise using the plant.

Plants have been producing cannabinoids and cannabinols for at least 3 million years, at least back to the beginnings of the Silurian period.

If they were not beneficial, do you not think that they would have ceased to exist?

They are an essential part of our biology, as evidenced by our having receptors for them, and unique uses for them in the body.
(See "endocannabinoid system")
It appears that restoring the natural balance of these oils has profound, far reaching, and highly variable beneficial effects, on a vast array of "afflictions".
These oils that you speak of have provided immense relief for me, throughout my life, without changing "me", or who I am.
I owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Outlawing hemp in the U.S. and most of the western world around 1937 removed these essential oils from our diets, the diets of our livestock, and most certainly affected any other uses.
Given the sudden proliferation of a host of ailments and diseases around that time, it is not unreasonable to consider the virtual outlawing of cannabinoids and cannabinols as instrumental in these disease's causes.

7-8,000 years ago, by the evidence found, the ancient Scythians were regularly burning the plant on bonfires(ahem).

Recent legalization trends are allowing these oils to be reintroduced to our biologies and diets.

While it is admirable that you feel adamant about abstaining from "drugs", in this case it is illogical, ill-conceived, and ill-advised.

Think of the larger picture of those plants evolving naturally beside us, or being placed here for us.

We all "know" how "bad" cholesterol is for us, right?
Consider that cholesterol is the single most important nutrient for any child, in utero or otherwise, 'til the age of 7 yrs.
Why? Our brains and nervous systems are made of it.
It is also used, past that age, for nervous system and brain repair and maintenance.
Without it, we would be dead in a very short time.

It's a good thing that they didn't outlaw this "bad substance".

Indeed, the outlawing of hemp had it's origins in corporate interest, in making money, among other selfish, greedy reasons.

In considering oxidative stress, and the damage caused by oxidation in the human body, perhaps we should look toward outlawing oxygen.

I was once as idealistic as you, with similar extreme views. Time has a way of educating us and providing a more rounded and encompassing look at things.

Instead of looking for a "personality" that you like(ego shopping), I suggest studying all that you can, from every angle possible, and letting your personality work itself out as a result of the knowledge you gain, as opposed to picking an "ego" that you like, and then trying to find information to support it.

"Insensibly, one begins to twist the facts to fit the theory, rather than twisting the theory to fit the facts."

Didn't mean for this to sound like a rant, or a rebuke. Just know that you should never adopt an unchangeable attitude, as you render growth impossible.

May you be well.

sidd
Well, while it was banned, it seems like basically nobody had any issues when they didn't have it in their systems. So, I don't see your point. Cholesterol: HELPS WITH A VERY IMPORTANT FUNCTION. However, since there isn't any important functions that cannabis does, this is most likely not true. Can I see where you heard this? I would like a reply.

Well, while it was banned, it seems like basically nobody had any issues when they didn't have it in their systems. So, I don't see your point. Cholesterol: HELPS WITH A VERY IMPORTANT FUNCTION. However, since there isn't any important functions that cannabis does, this is most likely not true. Can I see where you heard this? I would like a reply.
Simply research "endocannabinoid system".
The availability of these oils before prohibition is evidenced amply historically.
This is a good place to start:
Endocannabinoid system - Wikipedia

Cannabinoids/ cannabinols-- HELP WITH VERY IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS.
:)

Simply research "endocannabinoid system".
The availability of these oils before prohibition is evidenced amply historically.
This is a good place to start:
Endocannabinoid system - Wikipedia

Cannabinoids/ cannabinols-- HELP WITH VERY IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS.
:)
Here is the report on the page issues that Wikipedia put up.

Endonnabinoid System-Wikipedia Page Issues

Always click that tiny button right there. It really helps checking the legitimacy of Wikipedia pages. Therefore, this is NOT a reliable source you linked. Either find a Wikipedia page based much less off of history and more so on Science.

EDIT: I also noticed that this isn't Wikepedia's usual page layout. They usually have much more going on than just the article and top bar. There is usually also a side bar and hyperlinks.

It sounds like you have faith in the governing bodies to make laws "in your best interest", you might want to really investigate and double check that belief. It's very niave.

Pharmaceuticals often carry worse long term detriments to health than cannabis oil. CBD is only a cannabinoid, a naturally gleaned one at that. We produce our own cannabinoids in our endocannabinoid system, so our bodies naturally make these kinds of drugs and our endocannabinoid system regulates and balances our hormones. Unfortunately, we on the spectrum have a compromised hormonal system and routinely fail to produce enough "feel-good" hormones, like dopamine.

The Cannabis plant is renown for increasing dopamine levels and giving very miserable and stressed sufferer's quality of life. And it's not addictive! Unlike "legal" pharma drugs used for similar purposes.

You trust big business and it's government shills over what nature has provided us for millions of years. How well are psych drugs tested? Look into it.

You are having an immature, knee-jerk reaction and although you think you are showing a virtuous approach, jt's actually just a product of vested interest, corporate sponsored propoganda that you have accepted as truth. This attitude could get you in a lot of trouble in the short and long term. I know I sound harsh and I'm sorry for that OP, but you really don't know anything about what you are saying no to.

I'm not saying you should use the oil, I'm saying research, research, research, don't just believe what the media, government and school authorities tell you. They have an agenda that comes down to money and fear. Seek out anecdotal stories and through and detailed scientific research.

Millions of people are safely and effectively using cannabis products for medical conditions that they had, previously, found no relief for, from synthetic only-recently-invented psych meds or pain meds that affect your hormones adversely and are very addictive.

Drugs aren't inherently bad, none of them are, it's a matter of "poison in the hands of a wise and knowledgeable person (can be) medicine and medicine in a fools hand's - poison.

So it's a matter of using things wisely, researching for yourself, rather than believing any authority figure who's getting paid to tell you "They know what's good for you" .

Your's is a purely emotional and rigid argument based on lack of real and nuanced information. That's ok, you are very young, many of us thought the same or similar ways before we were privvy to more information and life experience.

If you can get away with using nothing, great! But trying out CBD oil won't hurt you and it won't make you a "pothead" or a "druggo" although it's really not fair to just judge people because they use Cannabis, that's the propaganda of a corrupt elitist empire that needs to be seen for what it is.

Last edited:
I said that this was a good place to start.

On what basis are you suggesting that nobody had issues when they didn't have it in their systems?

We can produce these compounds for the most part, however, not without the raw materials, which are found most abundantly in similar compounds.

That it treats such a wide variety of afflictions so very effectively without side effects is testament to its innocuous and beneficial nature.
Perhaps this is more to your liking:
ENDOCANNABINOID SYSTEM: PHYSIOLOGY AND PHARMACOLOGY
or this:
Endocannabinoid System Research Papers - Academia.edu
or this:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301008217300709

Joshua, your very reaction to this reflects sound reasoning for your parents to want to give you a substance like CBD in the first place. That overly-rigid Aspie "black and white" thought process. Where your mind tends to reject anything "grey" in nature.
If I have a black and white thought process that causes my mind to reject something that's in a grey area, then how am I fine with emulating consoles on my PC. Gaming console emulation is a grey area and, if I am not mistaken or something has changed withing the past 5 seconds, console emulation has been very controversial.
It's just an organic product to help you relax more without getting or being high. Something "to loosen your spring when it's wound too tightly".
I am actually almost always relaxed. As I said, I already have non-weed-based oils at my disposal that work just as well, or even better. I just don't want it. I am pretty sure that there was a reply here saying if I don't think I need it, then I shouldn't take it. Simple as that.
It's tragic to see much of anyone choose to rigidly live a life of pain and discomfort
I'm not living a life of pain and discomfort, and my life isn't very rigid at all. I don't even schedule times to complete lessons for my online school. I'm perfectly happy just as I am.

I'm not living a life of pain and discomfort, and my life isn't very rigid at all. I don't even schedule times to complete lessons for my online school. I'm perfectly happy just as I am.

So what do you think is motivating your own parents to feel compelled to give you such medications?

Have you guys not know that I just don't want it. I have rethinked it a little, but only removed some of the consequences and made few exceptions. Also, this isn't me supporting or not supporting the legal use of it. I just legit don't want to take it. @the_tortoise said that there is interest in it being an antipsychotic. One of the ADHD meds I used a long time ago was classified as an antipshycotic, and I didn't react well at that time. I just don't want it. Also, maybe it doesn't apply to it, and, instead, let's just go with "I don't want it because I already have something that does the same exact thing, and does it look like I care?" I didn't ask for your thoughts or talk about where else cannabis is found, I was just asking about how to tell my parents, "oh, no thanks, not interested" without end up sounding rude and not have them talk over me.

Here is the report on the page issues that Wikipedia put up.

Endonnabinoid System-Wikipedia Page Issues

Always click that tiny button right there. It really helps checking the legitimacy of Wikipedia pages. Therefore, this is NOT a reliable source you linked. Either find a Wikipedia page based much less off of history and more so on Science.

EDIT: I also noticed that this isn't Wikepedia's usual page layout. They usually have much more going on than just the article and top bar. There is usually also a side bar and hyperlinks.
There's one more little button there, at the very bottom.
"References"
If it is Academic Publishing that you seek,
there it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom