• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overwhelmed With The World

As others have said - don't read the news.

I'm over a month into my latest bout. I stupidly thought I needed to read the news when COVID began. After a year of loading up on nothing but a world full of other people's problems that I had no hope of remedying - I realised it was time to say goodbye to the news again.

If you want to know the important news in life - talk to your friends and family.

Ed

It is all I can do to take care of myself and my immediate environment to concern myself much about things beyond the local.

I use the Serenity prayer: Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the ddifference. We can choose what we let in. If the news is too upsetting don't watch it. If you must watch it disengage with it don't internalize it. It is what it is. If you can't do anything about it let it go. It is a waste of time and energy to focus on things we can do nothing about.

About a year ago, I was overwhelmed by work, world news and domestic requirements. My anxiety level was at a catastrophic level. I was in a chronic rage.
The issue with work is that I love the work, but the company grew too big. More managers were hired and the management became tiered and bogged down in bureaucracy. I had multiple bosses instead of the one who really understood me. I was due to loose my private lab as the company was crunching and consolidating the building space. I would be working in a large lab with others and that would have been even more stressful for me.
So, I decided to retire. I quit my job, and quit watching and reading commercial news.
I started working on my Electric Perfection projects full time, which is my piece, solitude and anxiety repellent.
The news, whether it's on TV or on sites, it DOES NOT exist to inform you of things. No, seriously, it bloody well doesnt. Ever notice how they ONLY show you negative stuff? And they'll focus on it for freaking ages? Yet when something positive happens... it's like a 2 minute blurb (if that) and then it's back to some horrid thing? Yeah: That's by design. They do this because the ACTUAL purpose of the news programs is not to inform, but instead to expose you to as many ads as possible. Seriously, that's the actual reason. The groups behind the news are corporations, and the one and only function of a corporation is to make money... no matter what.
Misery is dead on accurate here. In addition to the perpetual bad news, I was enraged by the commercial TV stations. In the early 2000's I worked at a local TV station as a broadcast engineer. I learned much about the stations income. During the early part of my time there, I felt the station's goal was quality production, both in production quality and content. But that kept going down hill. Bad video and/or audio quality was allowed on air. This was very upsetting to the entire engineering team because we really cared about our transmitted product. Finally, I quit. Now I am infuriated by what I see on commercial TV. The content and quality is both horrible. I also can't stand all the distracting graphics that adds nothing to the subject being broadcast.
So, now I am at peace: no TV, no commercial news and no corporate, big business anxiety. I have found the best way to reduce anxiety is to avoid the things that generate or elevate it. It took me a long time to figure that out, but now it seems so simple.

I avoid the news for the most part since I am already depressed and hope for the best for those in bad situations in other places. I really don't like that some of the stories literally make other people fearful due to how they are told or worded. It can be debilitating and possibly traumatizing to watch so I only look at it if something really major is going on that my entire family talks about. Someone can't control things that aren't in their power, so I do what I can when I can and leave it at that since I am also worried about my mental health, it's been downhill for over a year due to personal things. I hope you and your daughter feel better sometime soon. Doing whatever comforts me, even eating comfort food or seeing movies I haven't watched in years, helps. You're allowed to indulge.

New Threads

Top Bottom