• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oversharing

Stubbrn

Hello! I'm new to this forum and I am just in the beginning of my autism journey, so please bear with me if I say something offensive etc and please feel free to inform me if I do so I don't repeat the mistake.

Anyway, my question is does anybody find that when they overshare, it's not just about themselves? You also overshare about friends, family members, information you know, etc? I'm just trying to kinda seperate in my mind what could be autistic traits and what are just me traits or things I need to fix. So I thought I would ask:)

Thank you to everyone who has read this and/or replied!!:)

Yes, and trying hard to curtail it, because it is seen by others as a lack of diplomacy and have gotton myself in deep trouble from oversharing about others, in the attempt to be of help.

OMG, all the time!! I have to be SO CAREFUL about who I tell what to! It helps that I was raised in a culture of clinical confidentiality and Operational Security, but I have really spilled too much info at times about people when I TOTALLY should have kept my mouth shut. It's like I just can't help myself, and its so embarrassing! People tend to get really p'd off when they find out what I said to a third party, even if I didn't mean anything by it. Just....I can't tell! I've learned its really better to just keep my mouth shut about other folks, but sometimes stuff just slips out before I can even be aware of it. Ugh....If there existed a medication that curtailed THIS particular trait, I'd take it!

OMG, all the time!! I have to be SO CAREFUL about who I tell what to! It helps that I was raised in a culture of clinical confidentiality and Operational Security, but I have really spilled too much info at times about people when I TOTALLY should have kept my mouth shut. It's like I just can't help myself, and its so embarrassing! People tend to get really p'd off when they find out what I said to a third party, even if I didn't mean anything by it. Just....I can't tell! I've learned its really better to just keep my mouth shut about other folks, but sometimes stuff just slips out before I can even be aware of it. Ugh....If there existed a medication that curtailed THIS particular trait, I'd take it!
It literally just happened to me last week and I felt so bad!!! If someone tells me directly it's a secret or something typically that stays fresh and my brain and I'm ok, but if it wasn't classified as a secret and people just assume nobody will say anything because of "society norms".... Ugg then it's like a green light to my brain that it's fine to share!!

Yes, and trying hard to curtail it, because it is seen by others as a lack of diplomacy and have gotton myself in deep trouble from oversharing about others, in the attempt to be of help.
It is so nice to hear I am not the only one Let me know if you figure out a way to curtail it... I've been told all my life to always "think before I speak" and I've always struggled with that so it is amazing to hear that some of that is more than just lack of control.

Pretty much everything I say is oversharing lol. Not just about "myself," but about my interests and hobbies, my job, my friends, my animals, how my day was, what I'm cooking or eating, how I'm feeling, etc. Almost everything.
I think this is extremely common. There are a lot of people on this forum who have mentioned that they feel like they overshare.

But I don't share personal information, secrets, or confidential things. I just don't trust anyone enough for that. On here it's different because it's more anonymous, but even with that said I do keep very personal conversations to private messages only.

I do make sure I don't share anything that isn't mine to share, but the mindset I have for that is "Would this person be upset if I shared this with someone else? Did they tell me this in confidence? Did they tell me not to tell anyone? Would sharing this make them trust me less?" If the answer to any of those is "yes," then I keep it to myself.

This post is a good example of me oversharing lol

But, welcome, I hope this information is helpful for you!

Pretty much everything I say is oversharing lol. Not just about "myself," but about my interests and hobbies, my job, my friends, my animals, how my day was, what I'm cooking or eating, how I'm feeling, etc. Almost everything.
I think this is extremely common. There are a lot of people on this forum who have mentioned that they feel like they overshare.

But I don't share personal information, secrets, or confidential things. I just don't trust anyone enough for that. On here it's different because it's more anonymous, but even with that said I do keep very personal conversations to private messages only.

I do make sure I don't share anything that isn't mine to share, but the mindset I have for that is "Would this person be upset if I shared this with someone else? Did they tell me this in confidence? Did they tell me not to tell anyone? Would sharing this make them trust me less?" If the answer to any of those is "yes," then I keep it to myself.

This post is a good example of me oversharing lol

But, welcome, I hope this information is helpful for you!
This was so helpful, thank you:) My mindset is typically would I be upset if another person told someone else this about me, and it's worked decently as long as I remember to use it and not just talk lol. But I'm also a lot less sensitive to some things than other people so maybe I should rework that mindset...

I can't say that it never happens, but if anything, I would say that I tend to undershare. I'm not much of a talker in real life and tend to keep myself to myself.

Hi and welcome!

I think that oversharing is a pretty common trait of being on the spectrum - trying to fit in and join the conversation, but sometimes going overboard.

Luca has provided great advice on delineating what is and isn't appropriate to share when it comes to others' stories and about yourself, and even when talking about myself, what I'm willing to talk about may vary significantly, depending on the context. There are some things I'll say here that I might not discuss in real life, and conversely, some things that I talk about a fair bit in real life but don't really get into here.

Welcome to the Forums,

I will uncharacteristically keep my answer shorter than usual. I have always done as you expressed in your inquiry. Even at my age, I still tend to blurt out information of a sensitive nature about myself and others without realizing that I probably should not have said that until it is too late to take it back.

Even if you know you do it and try to guard against oversharing, it will happen. I would that I had some useful advice on how to control it. Nothing has ever been truly successful, yet I persevere.

It is so nice to hear I am not the only one Let me know if you figure out a way to curtail it... I've been told all my life to always "think before I speak" and I've always struggled with that so it is amazing to hear that some of that is more than just lack of control.
I hate hurting people with words and so, that helps me to control what I say and when I start oversharing I can stop myself in time and my husband also reminds me that I do not have to tell everyone my life story, so that helps too.

I have always been reserved and quite private. If someone tells me something that is personal or confidential, I would never repeat it, even to my wife.

Forums like this do give one the option to open up a little more than one might do in person. I think this can be especially helpful to make one feel not so alone and isolated with our Autism. I am very grateful that many here do open up and share as their experiences and advice have helped me immensely.

Hello! I'm new to this forum and I am just in the beginning of my autism journey, so please bear with me if I say something offensive etc and please feel free to inform me if I do so I don't repeat the mistake.

Anyway, my question is does anybody find that when they overshare, it's not just about themselves? You also overshare about friends, family members, information you know, etc? I'm just trying to kinda seperate in my mind what could be autistic traits and what are just me traits or things I need to fix. So I thought I would ask:)

Thank you to everyone who has read this and/or replied!!:)
First of all, welcome.

Second,...one of the key purposes of this forum is support. We understand that many of us are autistic, and all that comes with it. Although, there is a tendency to use language that is more direct,...an autistic trait,...we are, for the most part, here to help each other. Furthermore, if a topic is important enough, often containing moral and ethical underpinnings,...considering that the collective community on this forum is quite diverse,...with their own personal truths,...there is a risk of "offending",...but do not be afraid of it,...embrace it,...discover and learn. If you end up going down that line of conversation,...pause to understand context and perspective,...learn from each other instead of making the mistake of falling into an emotionally-charged, divisive, interaction.

Third,...the topic of oversharing. One, it's my understanding that the condition of autism tends to create a situation where there are "developmental delays" with respect to social/interpersonal communication. A common explanation, being that we often have to "think" our way though these interactions, whilst so-called "neurotypicals" will instinctually learn these skills. I am 55 years old,...and although I may be more skilled than say, a 15 year old neurotypical, in some cases,...I am quite aware that I may not be as skilled as say, a 30 year old neurotypical. Two, as you have more and more social interactions, and learn about people, in general,...you have more experience with this understanding of "truth" and "lies",...and more subtle concepts of "deceit",...and "masking". With life experience,...and being personally effected by deceit and lies,...truth becomes increasingly valuable,...a conscience develops. It becomes increasingly difficult to "hide knowledge",...to "keep a secret". So, even as a young autistic individual, I think that for many of us,...this social immaturity combined with this conscious value of truth,...leads us to be more "open" with others. It can be a good thing,...but in other situations, it may be seen as "inappropriate" or "awkward",...or worse, quite harmful. One of the more difficult concepts for autistics to wrap around their brain is,...the "REAL WORLD",...from a social/communication perspective,...is "FAKE". You don't have to lie to be fake,...all you have to do is withhold information.

That said,...pause,...think,...ask yourself, "Is speaking my truth valuable to the conversation?",...if so, can I use language that minimizes social awkwardness? "Is speaking my truth about another person?"...if so, is it really MY role to make another person's personal business open to others? I have these mental conversations all the time, both personally and professionally. I think the skill of the "pause" is under rated,...as too many times we get our mouths ahead of our brains, and things get said that we can't take back.

Last edited:
I find the separating idea (ASD - NT) useful for me personally. But it is not the whole process, just one of the steps of analyzing a situation. I usually ask myself questions like: What is driving the thought or feeling here? What is my motivation? Is it something likely generated in the autistic part of my thinking or is it something basically all people experience?

Btw it is not NT = good, ASD = bad. It can be the reverse actually, such as an ASD instinct driving a positive effort. And there also is a third catagory, Neutral. Neutral would be something coming from my ASD side and perhaps considered odd or unusual (by NTs) but it doesn't hurt anyone so there is no reason to continue if it is something you like to do.

I think there are at least two kinds of oversharing. The one you seem to mean is devulging too much information including personnal info.

The second is just talking too much about something in a running way without really having the other person's involvement. Autistics often experience this by talking about their special interests. 'Monologing' is another term for it.

Neither is really good. In the first you may (will) betray confidence or needlessly expose yourself. Once you say something you lose control over it, and never know where it might end up. The person you are talking to may be fine and do nothing wrong, but there is good chance they will tell someone else, and they someone else, etc.

The second just does not allow the other to be engaged and contribute to the conversation. Conversations should be interactive allowing both equal time and opportunity. Dominating it just makes them feel like they are in a lecture and they will just look for a way to escape eventually.

New Threads

Top Bottom